Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning for 35,000

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I do believe there is a plan to extend the back of the North stand into the space currently taken up by club offices. Quite where the club offices would go is another question, but potentially there is a space round by the South East corner where teletubby land was to be built on the original designs.

Is the place where 'tellytubby land' was going to be not Bennetts field car park now?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It makes me chuckle to think this conversation is even taking place when, until last season, we hadn't had more than three gates in excess of 20,000 in a season for three decades.

FWIW, I can't really see expansion to 35,000 happening for at least another 5 years, and I'd imagine it would be dependent on selling out the best part of 30,750 on a regular basis in that time.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
How would this work, isn't it the case that the roof structure can't be changed as it only stays up by being 'bound' to the other bits of roof?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
As I understand it (i.e. a total guess) the roof is designed to be more or less self-supporting due to its arch shape, when they first built the stadium the four steel roof supports seemed to go up (and stay up) independently of the specifics of the stand orientations. I'd guess that roof is staying there for a long time, whilst the offices and other internal structures could theoretically be re-arranged underneath it without major issues.

Of course that was all hypothetical but it is fun to speculate.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Obviously the answer is that the "source" has transposed the first 0 in 30500 and placed it at the end,et voila, 35,000.

All of this makes me pine for the Goldstone - room for 14000 under cover.

To say nothing of somewhat better transport availability,or the quick walk home.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously the answer is that the "source" has transposed the first 0 in 30500 and placed it at the end,et voila, 35,000.

All of this makes me pine for the Goldstone - room for 14000 under cover.

To say nothing of somewhat better transport availability,or the quick walk home.
Much as I loved the Goldstone in it's day, I think I'd hate it now. Most (but not all) bigger/better old school grounds than the Goldstone look utterly hideous and out of place these days. Look at Pompey - millions spent on wages of slightly above average players at the expense of their infrastructure. Fratton is a dump, and it won't be long before their catchment area contracts massively from both sides as a direct result of that. If we were still at the Goldstone, we probably wouldn't be much bigger than Bournemouth over the next decade!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Complete rubbish putting that line in will bring the Lewes side to a grinding halt after the game

It would double the number of trains between Falmer and Brighton, where additional capcity is most needed.

I think you are overstating the problems caused by the trains going the other way serving different destinations. People currently travelling to HH via Lewes would switch to going via Brighton so some demand would diminish Eastbound. If it really did cause as many problems as you think then the non-Lewes Eastbound services could be made not to stop at Falmer so you'd be no worse off.

Anyway, it won't happen.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Read Paul Barbers response to safe standing...............i do not think increasing the capacity further is on the agenda.

LE19

FWIW, I can't really see expansion to 35,000 happening for at least another 5 years, and I'd imagine it would be dependent on selling out the best part of 30,750 on a regular basis in that time.

Totally agree - the club would be stupid if they weren't already looking at future options.

I wonder if they have their own "internal" version of NSC, with all this stuff flying around...

luge

Dec 18, 2010
When the Amex was being built I went on a tour with Martin Perry for a TV piece. There were then no plans to go above the 30k mark, structurally the stadium would have to have some major changes.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Anything is possible with money, but nothing will happen without it. TB's already spend £100bn
Bloody hell, the cost keeps going up.

No wonder we couldn't afford to keep FFSM

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I noticed when I took my seat in the east upper this year that there are gaps in the seat numbers. There are about 6 "missing" seats between mine and the seat to my right. Maybe they have the option of squishing the seats together? ???

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I noticed when I took my seat in the east upper this year that there are gaps in the seat numbers. There are about 6 "missing" seats between mine and the seat to my right. Maybe they have the option of squishing the seats together? ???

There are gaps in the numbering where the aisles are - is this what you mean?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'd rather sit in comfort in a full stadium of 30,750 than be squished into one holding 35,000.

NO to reduced gaps between seats! The protest starts NOW!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
How would this work, isn't it the case that the roof structure can't be changed as it only stays up by being 'bound' to the other bits of roof?
You're absolutely right. Most of this thread is nonsense. The capacity will be 30,750 by the end of March. The club might be able to push that up to 31,000 by adding a couple of hundred seats here and there but fundamentally the stadium's structure dictates that it can't go higher.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'd rather sit in comfort in a full stadium of 30,750 than be squished into one holding 35,000.

NO to reduced gaps between seats! The protest starts NOW!

Anyone who went to Anfield last year will know how uncomfortable it can be!

I wonder how many extra seats could be squeezed in this way? If you could fit 2.5 seats for every 2 it would increase our capacity by a quarter - to 38,500.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
35,000 I'd like to think that the board have at least thought about it and got some sort of planning application ready for the future.
But I think I know how to do it for the next home game, seat sharing. Rather than watch the whole game, selected seats only watch half the game for a reduced rate (£38 down to £25). 10000 people (I wont call them fans) leave at half time and swop with 10000 others. Everyone who normally leaves early can take up this offer and seat share with those who always arrive late. People who complain about the transport can also leave at half time and get home two hours earlier. To make even more money the match can be shown on all TV's in the concourse and those without a seat can stay and watch whilst drinking the beer.

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
35,000 I'd like to think that the board have at least thought about it and got some sort of planning application ready for the future.

Nice little tier like the one in the South must be possible. I wonder how many it could seat? 3-400 max considering it could not go the whole width of the North.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here