Planning for 35,000

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Extending to 35k capacity seems highly unlikely - quite apart from the technical issues for The Amex there would also need to be a radical solution for the transport infrastructure.
I think we can forget it unless the transport capacity is upgraded and workable which would need to be a critical element of any planning application.

For example aren't there some significant technical issues to increasing the rail capacity such as power and signalling in addition to revamping Falmer station? Surely the East Coastway / Falmer wouldn't be very high on Network Rail and Southern's the priority lists for expenditure?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
What's happening with the plan to build the middle tier of the West round to the North, like what is about to be completed at the South end? I can only presume it can't be done whilst the North West corner's being worked on.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What's happening with the plan to build the middle tier of the West round to the North, like what is about to be completed at the South end? I can only presume it can't be done whilst the North West corner's being worked on.

Being done right now. See the photo on the u21 thread from yesterday

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I imagine the only time we'd fill 35K at the Amex is by playing a top 4 club in the Premier League. There's no chance we'd even get 30K against Wigan, QPR etc.

Many Prem sides would take 5k or 7k tix & our ST base could easily move from 22k to 26k, so there's the extra 8 to 35k for many games & if its 5m under for some, so what?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I do believe there is a plan to extend the back of the North stand into the space currently taken up by club offices. Quite where the club offices would go is another question, but potentially there is a space round by the South East corner where teletubby land was to be built on the original designs.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Its in planning stage and its a second tier spreading across part of the north stand . Security box will have to be moved and punditry room even though its just been finished. Its in prep for our prem status . from the reaction here it sounds like i did not miss any announcement.

Complete bollogs

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I do believe there is a plan to extend the back of the North stand into the space currently taken up by club offices. Quite where the club offices would go is another question, but potentially there is a space round by the South East corner where teletubby land was to be built on the original designs.

I understood there might be some offices at the new training ground..... maybe they will be in place, then the ones at the back of the NS could go...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Doubt it, but if we put a few extras in anywhere I think the south east corner could go back further by the looks of it.

Pure speculation though.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Utter crap - probably just the club asking the architects to look if it can be expanded. It would require a lot of work though including a major North Stand revamp and i doubt that work could be done during the Summer. I cant see how an extra tier on the North will work, most of the seats towards the back of the North would become like how they are in the away section at Anfield, not being able to see half the pitch.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Utter crap - probably just the club asking the architects to look if it can be expanded. It would require a lot of work though including a major North Stand revamp and i doubt that work could be done during the Summer. I cant see how an extra tier on the North will work, most of the seats towards the back of the North would become like how they are in the away section at Anfield, not being able to see half the pitch.

You could see from the back if everyone was sitting down! Perhaps this is clever plan from the club.......

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You could see from the back if everyone was sitting down! Perhaps this is clever plan from the club.......

Probably not, view would still be poor and it would kill the atmosphere. Liverpool for example, the atmosphere comes from The Kop, which is 1 tier (albeit a large one).

I've heard rumours of 'this second their' ☺ and with BML2 the transport wouldn't be any problem!

Ah yes - BML2 - the fantasy plan that will never happen because its totally unrealistic and would cost a fortune. The line between Lewes and Brighton needs an upgrade though, thought it was already planned anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports