Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning for 35,000

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
Agreed it is a bit of an idealistic plan...but all for this extended/two tier North Stand :bhasign:
What are the plans for the East Coastway Upgrade then?

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
It wasn't that long ago we had 36,000.......um yes it was but shows the potentials there!!!

Utter crap, the absolute maximum without digging down or lifting the roof is 30,500. Neither options are ever likely to be financially viable and in what world do you have to live in to believe we would ever need 35,000.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I cant see how an extra tier on the North will work, most of the seats towards the back of the North would become like how they are in the away section at Anfield, not being able to see half the pitch.

This is true, the upper tier would need to be higher and/or further back where there is only minimal space.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I heard that extra seats could be accommodated by lowering the pitch and either making it smaller or reducing the gap between the pitch and the stands. Would cost a fortune though and would probably only add a couple of thousand seats at most.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Surely the northstand can just be extended back higher to the roof for an extra 4 thousand seats? Would it have to be 2 teir?

Feb 14, 2010
For playing in the Championship then 30,000 is enough for most (but not all games). If / when Brighton play in the top flight again then for games against Arsenal, Man U, Spurs and maybe Man City, Chelsea and palace or pompey (should they be top flight also) the 35000 wouldn't be enough. Actually nor would 40,000 as Arsenal say could bring 10,000 if allowed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
New tier? Safe Standing? Surely no more appropriate place to dump Palace away fans than the Central Upper North Terrace Section?...

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
For playing in the Championship then 30,000 is enough for most (but not all games). If / when Brighton play in the top flight again then for games against Arsenal, Man U, Spurs and maybe Man City, Chelsea and palace or pompey (should they be top flight also) the 35000 wouldn't be enough. Actually nor would 40,000 as Arsenal say could bring 10,000 if allowed.

Not enough? 35,000 would put us 12th in terms of capacity.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I got told on the stadium tour that the ground can take 34,500 within its current structure

Feb 14, 2010
Not enough? 35,000 would put us 12th in terms of capacity.

Its just how it is. Even in the 80s when attendances were lower because of crowd trouble and we were in the third division, we had a cup game against Arsenal. It was a sell out of around 30,000. Brighton would get easily 40,000 for a game in the top light against Arsenal, man U, Spurs and a few others because the away fans would if allowed bring around 10,000. Brighton themselves would likely have 27000 season ticket holders plus thousands of non sth like myself who would fancy such games as well. I'm surprised this is a surprise as, well, its obvious.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Its just how it is. Even in the 80s when attendances were lower because of crowd trouble and we were in the third division, we had a cup game against Arsenal. It was a sell out of around 30,000. Brighton would get easily 40,000 for a game in the top light against Arsenal, man U, Spurs and a few others because the away fans would if allowed bring around 10,000. Brighton themselves would likely have 27000 season ticket holders plus thousands of non sth like myself who would fancy such games as well. I'm surprised this is a surprise as, well, its obvious.

Sadly I wasn't alive for those times! I can't really imagine an away following of 10,000 or so.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
Sadly I wasn't alive for those times! I can't really imagine an away following of 10,000 or so.

I think there was around 10000 Albion fans at St James Park when Brighton won promotion to Div 1. Amazing if true, although I also was about -6 at the time cant pretend to have given Peter Ward a hug on the train back or anything. .

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
We could fill extra seats, thats not the issue...The issue is where, hence the rumour the club has had the architects/surveyors in, so there can consider the options. I'm sure there is room within the ground for additional capacity, whether thats 100 or 10,000 is the question :bhasign:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think there was around 10000 Albion fans at St James Park when Brighton won promotion to Div 1. Amazing if true, although I also was about -6 at the time cant pretend to have given Peter Ward a hug on the train back or anything. .

True.... And we had ten thousand at Selhurst on Easter Friday for the drawn game in 1980 or 81.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Agreed it is a bit of an idealistic plan...but all for this extended/two tier North Stand :bhasign:
What are the plans for the East Coastway Upgrade then?

It's due to be resignalled. Difficult to find specific details on what is happening, but this is from the Staff and Visitor Travel Plan:

"In the medium term future Network Rail are planning to up-grade the signalling on the Brighton to Lewes section of the east coast line, which will double the capacity for trains through Falmer station. There is also a proposal to upgrade the bus route between the Universities and Woodingdean, which will provide a direct service from Woodingdean and Rottingdean. There is also a proposal to metal the surface of the bridleway adjacent to the B2123."

This is from a Network Rail Route Specification document published in 2011:

"Brighton – Lewes headway improvements. Upgrade of signals from repeater to controlled/automatic signals at Falmer. Implementation Date: 2013/14."

That doesn't mean much to me, but I'm sure there must be some geek on NSC who knows about this sort of stuff.

The travel plan also states, however: "There are no more plans or aspirations to expand the stadium above that currently permitted."

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
This is true, the upper tier would need to be higher and/or further back where there is only minimal space.

I heard that a plan that could be considered is to relocate the offices that are behind the back of the North Stand and put seats right the way back, whetehr this is possible I don't know ?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Anything is possible with money, but nothing will happen without it. TB's already spend £100bn and we are only just about selling out 28,500 or whatever the current figure is. There is no money in it right now. We will be at 30,500 for a while yet I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here