Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber OBE

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Tend to agree about honours being given to people on more normal salaries . For a little over £2m a year , PB should expect to work long hours sometimes . He does a fab job but he is getting very paid for doing it ,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not that he needs me to defend him, PB has done a tremendous amount of unsung work in grassroots youth football, he is also very well thought of at the FA.

Good luck to him 👍
My post wasn’t a criticism. Given OBEs are recommended, Im genuinely curious. Maybe it was the FA?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tend to agree about honours being given to people on more normal salaries . For a little over £2m a year , PB should expect to work long hours sometimes . He does a fab job but he is getting very paid for doing it ,
He wasn’t given the MBE for the job he does at the Albion though.

Reactions: cjd

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's been pointed out before and it will be pointed out again no doubt but the gong is not for doing his paid job.

Reactions: cjd

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I understand that , but obviously being so well paid as CEO , allows him time to do other things without worrying about earning any money doing it .
Possibly, but equally I imagine being the CEO doesn’t allow him much spare time. In this sense his time is a greater sacrifice than, say, someone with a 9-5?

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My post wasn’t a criticism. Given OBEs are recommended, Im genuinely curious. Maybe it was the FA?
And I certainly wasn’t digging at you old boy. I would imagine it’s either come from someone involved from his youth football days or the FA.

I have to say it’s all a bit hit and miss. I’ve previously nominated someone who basically ran park football in Worthing for well over half a century, you get 4 separate awards cycles to be considered but drew a blank on all.

At the suggestion of one of our local MPs, I’ve nominated someone else, again deserving recipient, served in the Falklands, long association with local youth sport, missed out this time so another three to go. 🤷‍♂️

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And I certainly wasn’t digging at you old boy. I would imagine it’s either come from someone involved from his youth football days or the FA.

I have to say it’s all a bit hit and miss. I’ve previously nominated someone who basically ran park football in Worthing for well over half a century, you get 4 separate awards cycles to be considered but drew a blank on all.

At the suggestion of one of our local MPs, I’ve nominated someone else, again deserving recipient, served in the Falklands, long association with local youth sport, missed out this time so another three to go. 🤷‍♂️
Interesting, everyday is a school day! Is there any published criteria against which applications are judged?

As an aside, an old school friend of mine from Tideway, and Albion supporter, was awarded an MBE for his charity work. This must have been 20 odd years ago now. We lost touch after we both left school but I have bumped into him periodically at Albion games although not seen him in a long time now.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That’s a pretty cynical view to take of anyone who chooses to do voluntary work on top of their day job
Well said. Some people are very good at what they do. They are committed, determined, hungry and most of all have clarity in what they are trying to achieve. I suggest PB is one of these people and his success at the Albion, EPL, FA, provides the financial freedom and contacts to persue his voluntary work and ambitions successfully. I wish I had some of his drive (but not detractors).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well said. Some people are very good at what they do. They are committed, determined, hungry and most of all have clarity in what they are trying to achieve. I suggest PB is one of these people and his success at the Albion, EPL, FA, provides the financial freedom and contacts to persue his voluntary work and ambitions successfully. I wish I had some of his drive (but not detractors).
Yep….and the fact he’s actually bloody good at his job means he’s of real value to the other organisations. He doesn’t have to do it - easy option is take the big paycheques and leave it at that.

Abolish the honours system, a continuous living insult to the victims of Empire. Always heartened to read about someone who has turned them down like Paul Weller, Benjamin Zephaniah and David Bowie.

No strong feelings on Barber other than that like most highly paid CEOs he assuredly gets the credit for the hard work of all staff

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
That’s a pretty cynical view to take of anyone who chooses to do voluntary work on top of their day job
I’m not trying to be cynical , I have huge respect for the brilliant job PB does . The point I’m trying to make ( not very well apparently) is that it is easier to contribute time to non paid jobs when you are very well paid in your day job . It’s far harder for people on lower incomes to balance their day with non paid jobs because they have to worry about more things . I still don’t think I’ve explained it very well but hopefully your get my drift .

We are very lucky as a club to have PB .

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Couldn't see this anywhere else so thought I'd stick it here. Barber intervew.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here