Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber OBE

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting that the CEO of a big company, for that is what we are, gets one for doing his job, but Kevin Sinfield who has done so much to further the cause of MND and his great friend Rob burrows is overlooked. Even gavin Williamson gets a nighthood who is an absolute shitehous.

our awards system is biased beyond belief

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Irrespective.
maybe it’s all about your priorities in life.

Are you saying PB - by all accounts rewarded for his volunteer work on various football boards/women’s football - not for merely being a CEO or just doing his job doesn’t merit recognition ? (I agree about your other point and expect kevin Sinfield’s fundraising to be acknowledged in future)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I used to work on IT contracts at Amex. After one long contract, in which timescales were tight, with overnight working etc, we were called into an office for a thank you. The woman in charge, opened up a tupperware box, and we each got a biscuit.
Was it a cat A biscuit?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A top rate administrator

I'll try and ignore the bottle top rule

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you saying PB - by all accounts rewarded for his volunteer work on various football boards/women’s football - not for merely being a CEO or just doing his job doesn’t merit recognition ? (I agree about your other point and expect kevin Sinfield’s fundraising to be acknowledged in future)
I explained above

The honour system should be there to people who have made a difference to society. Nurses, doctors scientists people who care for people, people who go under the radar

I can’t get excited about a CEO of a football club being given some sort of award for doing work in football.

Not a personal thing against barber, just my opinion

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I explained above

The honour system should be there to people who have made a difference to society. Nurses, doctors scientists people who care for people, people who go under the radar

I can’t get excited about a CEO of a football club being given some sort of award for doing work in football.

it does already though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I explained above

Leaders in football/ sport (administrators, coaches, players, volunteers) at all levels make a big difference to society. And nurses, doctors, scientists are often rewarded by the honours system - however flawed:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I explained above

I understand where you’re coming from. But I remember when the Warchild charity build a radio station in Sarajevo. There was a lot of comment about why they were building this, when a hospital and schools etc might be more useful. Some local bod said he agreed hospitals were obviously a good thing, as we need to survive, but we also need a reason to survive; hence the community radio station.

Similarly, I agree with your comment about nurses etc but we should also recognize those who make our lives worth living; and football is one of them. This is something I came to recognize more during lockdown.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Our son in law has been awarded an MBE in the Honours List for representing this country and the whole family are immensely proud of him.

He's spend seven years in Afghanistan, as well as working on behalf of this country in Ukraine, Mali, Kosovo, Iraq and many other places that are mere points on the atlas to many of us. His job is trying to establish a working government for when the cameras leave and the troops are trying to keep warring parties kill each other.

He has done his job selflessly, with modesty (some of the Afghan stories are very scary), intelligence, compassion for others and humour, with the aim of making the world a slightly less dangerous and insane place for the people who work and live there, as well as the knock on benefits for us all.

He's also a fantastic dad to our two granddaughters, aged 3 and 1. That's the good news.

Early last year he collapsed at home, was taken to hospital in an air ambulance, and what was initially thought to be epilepsy turned out to be a brain tumour, stage four. He is on a course of chemo and radiotherapy but that can only delay the inevitable, the average period of survival is 14 months.

During the last few months he has been amazing, we are working our way through a list of events and experiences that he wants to tick off. He's not a football fan and has never been to a game so for Christmas bought tickets in a charity auction for him and me for a hospitality package for the Albion at Spurs at the start of April. You would have think that he has suffered enough. It will be an honour to be there with him, assuming he is is able to attend.

His ambition this year is to still be here when his eldest daughter has her first day at school, that will be 17 months after he collapsed. He's a hero to the whole family and everyone who knows him.

I'm not posting this to mine sympathy, but for all the flaws in the honours system there are some good people out there who recognise the efforts of others and it is great that this can be done on a national basis. His medal (on top of the ones he already has) will be a reminder to his girls of what a great person their dad has been.

Last edited:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Our son in law has been awarded an MBE in the Honours List for representing this country and the whole family are immensely proud of him.

He's spend seven years in Afghanistan, as well as working on behalf of this country in Ukraine, Mali, Kosovo, Iraq and many other places that are mere points on the atlas to many of us. His job is trying to establish a working government for when the cameras leave and the troops are trying to keep warring parties kill each other.

He has done his job selflessly, with modesty (some of the Afghan stories are very scary), intelligence, compassion for others and humour, with the aim of making the world a slightly less dangerous and insane place for the people who work and live there, as well as the knock on benefits for us all.

He's also a fantastic dad to our two granddaughters, aged 3 and 1. That's the good news.

Early last year he collapsed at home, was taken to hospital in an air ambulance, and what was initially thought to be epilepsy turned out to be a brain tumour, stage four. He is on a course of chemo and radiotherapy but that can only delay the inevitable, the average period of survival is 14 months.

During the last few months he has been amazing, we are working our way through a list of events and experiences that he wants to tick off. He's not a football fan and has never been to a game so for Christmas bought tickets in a charity auction for him and me for a hospitality package for the Albion at Spurs at the start of April. You would have think that he has suffered enough. It will be an honour to be there with him, assuming he is is able to attend.

His ambition this year is to still be here when his eldest daughter has her first day at school, that will be 17 months after he collapsed. He's a hero to the whole family and everyone who knows him.

I'm not posting this to mine sympathy, but for all the flaws in the honours system there are some good people out there who recognise the efforts of others and it is great that this can be done on a national basis. His medal (on top of the ones he already has) will be a reminder to his girls of what a great person their dad has been.
What an incredible man. Thoughts and best wishes to achieve his goals.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I agree too many people get honours for doing their day job, especially in sport and entertainment. Unless your doing charitable work, service to the community/country at any level but not for service to an industry that pays me very well or any MP.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its an amazing thing is football, it creates a different storyline for different people depending on the club you support, in the last month we have completely managed to forget that Alexis MacAlistar is in fact, still Argentinian and that Paul Barber alienated thousands of our fans by banning bottle tops. Both of them now have well deserved plaudits but, if Mac misses a penalty two or Barber changes Harvey's for Old Speckled Hen I wonder what will happen ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Its an amazing thing is football, it creates a different storyline for different people depending on the club you support, in the last month we have completely managed to forget that Alexis MacAlistar is in fact, still Argentinian and that Paul Barber alienated thousands of our fans by banning bottle tops. Both of them now have well deserved plaudits but, if Mac misses a penalty two or Barber changes Harvey's for Old Speckled Hen I wonder what will happen ?
Would the speckled hen come with a lid?

Asking for a dinking buddy.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Interesting that the CEO of a big company, for that is what we are, gets one for doing his job, but Kevin Sinfield who has done so much to further the cause of MND and his great friend Rob burrows is overlooked. Even gavin Williamson gets a nighthood who is an absolute shitehous.

our awards system is biased beyond belief
Our awards system is designed so that members of the public can put people forward. If you want someone to be nominated, then go online and nominate them. Someone has to take the first step.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Our awards system is designed so that members of the public can put people forward. If you want someone to be nominated, then go online and nominate them. Someone has to take the first step.
I wonder who suggested Barber?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here