[Albion] Paul Barber OBE

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Harsh, but.. no, not fair actually. He stands out in his field and it's huge recognition fo Albion. Just think about what a contribution across football, especially during Covid times, that he has made. Just maybe during Covid he was an unsung hero trying to keep our national sport alive.
So if it wasn't for Barber, football would have stopped for the whole of Covid?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gotta love the bloke really. Always calm, smart leadership, never knowingly flustered. I must have sent him three or four emails in my time, have without fail received a measured reply within the hour. I find that incredible. Whatever TB is paying him to be his personal human shield, it isn't enough IMHO.

PS. Barber OBE OUT!

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I agree that anything referencing the "British Empire " is anachronistic, but I think it's important that the country has a way of recognising people.
Whether that be the unsung heroes like the lady I heard interviewed on the radio earlier, who received an award for work in getting aid to Ukraine, or someone doing good stuff in the sport/entertainment fields, thereby bringing pleasure to people. PB has contributed positively to something that has brought me a lot of joy over a couple of extremely difficult years, along with the unpaid work in Women's football, that I wasn't aware of, so congratulations to him!

Now awards for people who have done nothing more than be buddies with a shit ex-prime minister (take yer pick), that's a completely different conversation.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I remember cricketers knighted for winning ashes and think some had not even played.
Assuming you're referring to 2005, the team were given MBEs, and everybody who was awarded one had played at least one game. Paul Collingwood stood out as he'd only played in the last test.
The team was otherwise unchaged throughout, Collingwood replaced Simon Jones who pulled up at Trent Bridge and never played for England again.
On the other hand, Boycott was knighted seemingly just because he was Theresa May's favourite player.
Anyway, congratulations Paul :clap2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Read EP's posts about it.
Ok, so maybe partly for unpaid work to advance women's football - that sounds more appropriate.

Although spare a thought for BG. He would not be impressed.

DavePage

Are they related?
1672486775676.png

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
There seems to be a chunk of people that are still annoyed that the game of football and everything around it has become a highly professionalised big business. And they yearn for the muddy fields, all standing, no-rules times of the past.

The genie isn’t going back in the bottle. You cannot have the club involved - let alone compete - at the highest level, and also have things like they were 40 years ago.

The game IS big business and for a club like ours to have any hope of being competitive, we absolutely have to be the best organised, most professional, highly prepared club in the league. We don’t have, nor want, investment from US billionaires (saddling us with debt), or dodgy oil states. So this is the only alternative path.

I’m sure if you wait long enough, we’ll lose Paul and Tony, and some moron will take the reigns and we’ll tumble back down the leagues. Where you ‘proper old-school football’ fans will finally be happy.

Until then, most of us will celebrate that our club continues to be a great example of treading a brilliant middle ground of local club with global ambition.

Brilliant job Paul, thanks for all you do.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There seems to be a chunk of people that are still annoyed that the game of football and everything around it has become a highly professionalised big business. And they yearn for the muddy fields, all standing, no-rules times of the past.

The genie isn’t going back in the bottle. You cannot have the club involved - let alone compete - at the highest level, and also have things like they were 40 years ago.

The game IS big business and for a club like ours to have any hope of being competitive, we absolutely have to be the best organised, most professional, highly prepared club in the league. We don’t have, nor want, investment from US billionaires (saddling us with debt), or dodgy oil states. So this is the only alternative path.

I’m sure if you wait long enough, we’ll lose Paul and Tony, and some moron will take the reigns and we’ll tumble back down the leagues. Where you ‘proper old-school football’ fans will finally be happy.

Until then, most of us will celebrate that our club continues to be a great example of treading a brilliant middle ground of local club with global ambition.

Brilliant job Paul, thanks for all you do.
What a great post

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
We're lucky to have Paul, and he's done an incredible job over the last ten years or so. Hopefully he's here for another ten.

Don't understand why a small number of idiots want him out, if it wasn't him making the decisions you don't agree with, it would be someone else, probably less likeable and less likely to email fans back etc.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I got a lapel badge for ten years service with Royal Mail. Very nice - except it was bronze and looked like a rolled up turd. Oh well. :shrug:
I used to work on IT contracts at Amex. After one long contract, in which timescales were tight, with overnight working etc, we were called into an office for a thank you. The woman in charge, opened up a tupperware box, and we each got a biscuit.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We're lucky to have Paul, and he's done an incredible job over the last ten years or so. Hopefully he's here for another ten.

Don't understand why a small number of idiots want him out, if it wasn't him making the decisions you don't agree with, it would be someone else, probably less likeable and less likely to email fans back etc.
What makes me laugh is that, ultimately, PB works for TB, who possibly makes some of the decisions that PB gets criticised for. If not, he'd certainly have a say!

So, whoever has a pop at Barber is, indirectly, also having a pop at Bloom. Which is, to me, bonkers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports