Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fans fury

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Not sure which is dafter,

a grown man wearing a mask to football, or

a grown man getting upset about a grown man wearing a mask to football.

Very much this! I struggle to give a dam about what they might do, TBH Man unt mean nothing to me...well except they killed the FA cup a few years ago.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
doubt most normal Place fans give a s t. Internet tends to bring out the pant pissers.

On the flip side , its probably internet types that would wear a mask

Nothing story

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I was at the game and got spat at by a Man United fan outside who said 'That's for Eric'. I was 12 at the time.

That's hilarious.

I don't suppose there are any pics of your 12 year old self covered in some good old northern flob at all?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting for one moment that the death of a football fan at a game is anything less than horrifically tragic, and no doubt he's missed every single day by his family even now.

I just find the view of some CPFC types on the subject spectacularly (not to mention conveniently) simplistic: that Cantona loses it with some lying toe-rag at Selhurst>>> fan tragically loses life at game months later= Cantona's fault.

I think that most reasonably minded posters understood the way you meant your original post Edna; it's just unfortunate that Hillian1 decided to light the touch paper and then stand well back to watch the pyrotechnics.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
If Cantona had connected with his head then maybe such a severe blow would have knocked some sense into the dirty little pikey and he would have seen the light and realised he should have supported Albion and not Crippled Paralysis !! :bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::albion2::albion2::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::clap2::clap2::clap2::drool::drool::drool:

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
If Cantona had connected with his head then maybe such a severe blow would have knocked some sense into the dirty little pikey and he would have seen the light and realised he should have supported Albion and not Crippled Paralysis !! :bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::albion2::albion2::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::amex::clap2::clap2::clap2::drool::drool::drool:

I thought it was widely known that he was not actually a Palace supporter. Even in Crowborough.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
I have no idea. I just recall at the time it being odd him getting involved when it wasn't even his team. Looking at him he has Millwall written all over him.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I find it curious how everyone blames Matthew Simmonds for the Cantona incident, yet I bet some of the abuse towards the likes of Zaha, Murray, Granville during BHAFC vs CPFC has been spectacularly identical. I bet the vast, vast majority of football fans have shouted something in the direction of players in fact.

If you can't see the link between the two then that's fine, there are plenty of CPFC fan reports saying they arrived to Birmingham with a tirade of abuse from MUFC fans which wasn't apparent in previous outings with them. Would this have been the case had Simmonds been further back in the stand rather than in the front row? Definitely not. Should Cantona have assaulted a fan? Evidently not either as two wrongs don't make a right.

For that reason, I don't see why Cantona is lauded over on here, he's no better than Simmonds who Palace fans acknowledge is/was a proper c-unit.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
This is no different to the palace fans chanting henry hughton's name at us for years after he brought Gerry Ryan's career to a premature end. It's football culture, man up and get over it!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I find it curious how everyone blames Matthew Simmonds for the Cantona incident, yet I bet some of the abuse towards the likes of Zaha, Murray, Granville during BHAFC vs CPFC has been spectacularly identical. I bet the vast, vast majority of football fans have shouted something in the direction of players in fact.

If you can't see the link between the two then that's fine, there are plenty of CPFC fan reports saying they arrived to Birmingham with a tirade of abuse from MUFC fans which wasn't apparent in previous outings with them. Would this have been the case had Simmonds been further back in the stand rather than in the front row? Definitely not. Should Cantona have assaulted a fan? Evidently not either as two wrongs don't make a right.

For that reason, I don't see why Cantona is lauded over on here, he's no better than Simmonds who Palace fans acknowledge is/was a proper c-unit.

You are making very valid points there.

However, even though Cantona was wrong, no doubt there, can you not see that it was a little bit funny? Almost a pantomime moment which from a rivals perspective was pretty amusing.

That the aftermath of this incident possibly resulted in someone's death is terrible. No question there.

I still think Simmonds is to blame. Yes Cantona should have ignored him but cause and effect came into play here. No doubt Simmonds was the cause.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not blaming Simmonds. What I was saying is that if anyone is going to try and apportion blame, and do so by following supposed related incidents back, it makes no sense at all to stop at Cantona and not make the next logical jump to what provoked Cantona's lunge into the crowd.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm not blaming Simmonds. What I was saying is that if anyone is going to try and apportion blame, and do so by following supposed related incidents back, it makes no sense at all to stop at Cantona and not make the next logical jump to what provoked Cantona's lunge into the crowd.

I blame Cantona's parents for conceiving him and their grandparents for conceiving them.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012

What provoked his jump into the crowd was getting frustrated all game and then getting a red. Simmonds was just someone to focus that frustration on. Cantona won't have been able to hear a word that Simmonds was saying when blended in with what everyone else was shouting. The fact that Simmonds (a Fulham fan btw) went to the front and was making hand gestures at him will have been why he did it.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
You are making very valid points there.

However, even though Cantona was wrong, no doubt there, can you not see that it was a little bit funny? Almost a pantomime moment which from a rivals perspective was pretty amusing.

That the aftermath of this incident possibly resulted in someone's death is terrible. No question there.

I still think Simmonds is to blame. Yes Cantona should have ignored him but cause and effect came into play here. No doubt Simmonds was the cause.

I think if there hadn't been unsavoury incidents to follow in the FA Cup match, then yes I'd probably look back and think "I was there" and maybe even smile.

What transpired afterwards isn't neccessarily Cantona's fault, but unfortunately people will always be reminded at CPFC of that incident in a negative light.

I won't speak on behalf of every Palace fan, but the ones I know personally think Simmonds and Cantona are equally horrible men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here