Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fans fury

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
This thread has really lightened what was turning into a pretty dark day.

Thanks chaps

Lighthearted is it ? I was at the cantona game and I was at the semi final game at villa park . There is a direct link to Paul's death and for some of you to make it a case of amusement is pretty poor .
Going back to the semi final day the atmosphere was poisioness with man utd fans looking for palace fans to have a go at . Considering there is no history between the clubs it was a bit unusual I would say . Basically they were saying it was palaces fault that cantona got banned and they weren't happy about it . It kicked off all through the game with groups of utd in the palace section and it was a horrible atmosphere . In regard to Paul ( I didn't know him personally ) he was on a palace coach who knew some Walsall fans so arranged to meet at a Walsall pub . Soon after a utd coach turned up and it was tense but songs were exchanged , it wasn't untill a second utd coach turned up the mood changed . The palace left the pub to go to the game and then it all started . The coach coach wasn't all lads , it was a mixture with wife's and kids inboard , so it was totally unwarranted . During this Paul was attacked and feel under the coach which the court found was the cause of his death . If Paul hadn't been attacked he wouldn't have fell under the coach would he .
Palace fans feel a lot of resentment towards utd from that day and if they start goading with masks it will turn nasty , rumours doing the rounds is a few have got tickets in the palace stands so we shall see .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Isn't that true for most of your home games?

Can certainly see a few were in the Palace stands that day ! :)

cantona-kick.jpg

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Lighthearted is it ? I was at the cantona game and I was at the semi final game at villa park . There is a direct link to Paul's death and for some of you to make it a case of amusement is pretty poor .
Going back to the semi final day the atmosphere was poisioness with man utd fans looking for palace fans to have a go at . Considering there is no history between the clubs it was a bit unusual I would say . Basically they were saying it was palaces fault that cantona got banned and they weren't happy about it . It kicked off all through the game with groups of utd in the palace section and it was a horrible atmosphere . In regard to Paul ( I didn't know him personally ) he was on a palace coach who knew some Walsall fans so arranged to meet at a Walsall pub . Soon after a utd coach turned up and it was tense but songs were exchanged , it wasn't untill a second utd coach turned up the mood changed . The palace left the pub to go to the game and then it all started . The coach coach wasn't all lads , it was a mixture with wife's and kids inboard , so it was totally unwarranted . During this Paul was attacked and feel under the coach which the court found was the cause of his death . If Paul hadn't been attacked he wouldn't have fell under the coach would he .
Palace fans feel a lot of resentment towards utd from that day and if they start goading with masks it will turn nasty , rumours doing the rounds is a few have got tickets in the palace stands so we shall see .

So god forbid, a Palace fan died as the result of a Punch up between Brighton and Palace fans, would it be Alan Mullerys fault for giving you lot the finger?

Clearly what happened between Palace and United caused a bit of tension, but it wasnt Cantonas fault Paul Nixon died, it was the scum that did it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Palace need not be so touchy, they need to get over it. Lets face it the club has been reformed twice since then...

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I wonder then who was that side who went to Old Trafford recently in the League Cup and beat them with a starring role going to.. now who was it? Some bloke we got from the coast somewhere...

Not the first time we upset the MU establishment. 1972 December and we beat them 5-0 at Selhurst. Cue sacking of Man U manager Frank O'Farrell (a Scotsman). Watch out Moyesey..
So you are saying when you beat someone the embarrassment of losing to such a tinpot club is enough to make the opposition sacj their manager?? Makes sense as Poyet got the boot but nothing for you to be proud of. As fir the connection between EC and the tragic lose of someones life is bollocks!!!!!

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
The question is, why have Man Utd fans chosen this game to celebrate Cantona? In the game when he decided to launch himself into the crowd he was having a shit game. So the only answer is they are looking to antagonize Palace fans.

Tensions between Palace and Man Utd fans were high on the night Paul Nixon was stabbed to death, it was due to the Cantona incident at the previous game between the two sides. So there is a link.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

If it hadn't been for Matthew Simmons none of this would have happened.
He is the sole root cause of the issue and if anyone is to blame the buck goes past Cantona and stops with him and any resentment should be towards him alone

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The question is, why have Man Utd fans chosen this game to celebrate Cantona?

Because, stupid, the most infamous moment in Eric Cantona's career involved him hoofing a Crystal Palace fan. And because it will annoy you.

You seem determined to read something sinister into all this, when really, it isn't there. Football fans are, as a rule, simple beings (well illustrated by some of you today) and there's nothing more to it than that.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Because, stupid, the most infamous moment in Eric Cantona's career involved him hoofing a Crystal Palace fan. And because it will annoy you.

You seem determined to read something sinister into all this, when really, it isn't there. Football fans are, as a rule, simple beings (well illustrated by some of you today) and there's nothing more to it than that.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

It'd be the same as us crying about Palace fans taking the piss about the Play Off defeat. Yes it hurts but it's football. Fans antagonise each other.

I wonder how many of the Utd 'fans' who'll wear masks will have any idea of who Paul Nixon is? That's not to play down the terrible incident but I really don't think its' being done to offend.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Can certainly see a few were in the Palace stands that day ! :)

View attachment 51456

I can only spot one poor misguided child.

As for the notion that away fans find themselves amongst the home fans this season - I'd suggest the rigorous ticketing criteria make that very difficult. A lad has apparently been bragging on Twitter that as a MU fan he has got himself tickets in the home end. The fool posted a pic of his tickets so those seats have naturally been flagged with the club so he won't be getting in.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can only spot one poor misguided child.

As for the notion that away fans find themselves amongst the home fans this season - I'd suggest the rigorous ticketing criteria make that very difficult. A lad has apparently been bragging on Twitter that as a MU fan he has got himself tickets in the home end. The fool posted a pic of his tickets so those seats have naturally been flagged with the club so he won't be getting in.

I can see a Man Utd shirt, and a Man Utd hat, so 2 at least!

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

It'd be the same as us crying about Palace fans taking the piss about the Play Off defeat. Yes it hurts but it's football. Fans antagonise each other. - Disagree

I wonder how many of the Utd 'fans' who'll wear masks will have any idea of who Paul Nixon is? That's not to play down the terrible incident but I really don't think its' being done to offend. - Agree

Nope I doubt they are doing it with any consideration of Nixon in mind - merely to goad the Palace fans. Fair enough really - it is what fans the length and breadth of the country do and I'm sure us Palace fans have goaded other fans many a time and have probably not thoroughly researched any potential links or nuances at the time.

Not the same as taking the piss out of the play off defeat - that was in no way controversial.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If it hadn't been for Matthew Simmons none of this would have happened.
He is the sole root cause of the issue and if anyone is to blame the buck goes past Cantona and stops with him and any resentment should be towards him alone

Nail on head.

Seriously doesn't this whole debate show up the whole football hard man/violence stuff for the pathetic nonsense that it is. After all, Paul Nixon did actually die because of this sort of pathetic posturing. FFS anyone who seeks violent retribution for any perceived footballing slight is an utter ******g tool in my book.

With all apologies to our friends from up the road, the original Cantona incident is absolutely hilarious and always will be to non-Palace fans, get over it.

Why be offended when Utd fans wear Cantona masks, they are not celebrating the death of your fellow supporter, they are poking fun at Simmons ( a total bellend) and supporting their cult hero. If you are wound up by this you let them win the argument. Treat them with the obvious contempt you feel they deserve and back your team to a not all that unlikely good result (after Utd are sh*te this season).

Be the bigger man for once and put this destructive machismo to the side.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I usually steer clear of threads involving the numpty nigels up the road. It's like a battle of wits with an unarmed man. But this thread is so precious that I just have to stick my beak in.

Nigel, nigel and the other nigel have convinced themselves that the tragic death of Nixon was, in their warped minds, somehow down to dear old Eric. They just can't seem to understand that it was the convicted thug Simmons who provoked Eric with his torrent of abuse. Eric was certainly wrong to react in the way he did but he was well punished for it. It was their Nigel who provoked the entire incident.

So nigels, you carry on re-writing history. But you know, and we know, that had Simmons not abused Eric the kick would never have happened.

You then want to link that incident to a totally unrelated incident separated by time and geography.

You couldn't make it up!

Oh wait..........

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Not sure which is dafter,

a grown man wearing a mask to football, or

a grown man getting upset about a grown man wearing a mask to football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure which is dafter,

a grown man wearing a mask to football, or

a grown man getting upset about a grown man wearing a mask to football.

Clearly its the latter, which is dafter.

If 100 United fans turn up in Cantona masks, and you all completely ignore them, they'll look daft.

That's what will happen, just so long as your lot don't whip up an internet shitstorm of faux outrage in the days leading up to the game.

Oh.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Blaming Cantona for Paul Nixon's death is as ridiculous as blaming McDonalds for obesity.. Cantona's actions caused a rivalry, no one was forced to stab, brick and then push someone into an oncoming coach. Just because McDonalds is there, no one is being forced to eat it. As mentioned before, if a Brighton or Palace fan died at a derby game, would you/we blame Allan Mullery? I know I certainly wouldn't..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here