Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fans fury

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I'm not blaming Simmonds. What I was saying is that if anyone is going to try and apportion blame, and do so by following supposed related incidents back, it makes no sense at all to stop at Cantona and not make the next logical jump to what provoked Cantona's lunge into the crowd.

Don't worry, I pretty much agree with you. I think what angers most Palace fans is how the press (probably mostly Utd fans) scrutinised Palace and Simmonds and made Cantona out to be some sort of martyr.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
So,

I have just read this threat from start to finish and actually learnt a lot about the incident as a result. I can (kind of) see why some people would blame Cantona for what happened as they feel that Utd blaed that incident for them losing the title and it was a Palace supporter (on that day) that goaded him.

No one is to blame for the death other than the person that did the crime, simple as that. I genuinely feel that the masks are as a mickey take of the kick and not the death. I have been to Palace a lot over the years due to them being my local team growing up (I would always support the away team before I get lynched by my own fans). During these visits I odten heard people sing 'The wheels on the bus go round and round' that most definitely IS intended to be offensive and should be punished. But if they just wear a mak then I don;t see why people are getting offended. Obviously if it was Brighton we would be a bit more sensitive around the whole issue but I hope that we would see the funny side of the masks.

I also read a couple of articles about the kick incident and I would like to throw two more people into the mix for blame:
The Referee - Cantona was getting wound up that he felt things were going against him and the players taking him down weren't getting booked. This would him up and led to him being so angry he got sent off
Sir Al - Having a go at the referee at half time because of the above. He should have calmed himself and Eric down, and if Eric didn't calm down then sub him for his own safety.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Those saying there isn't a link between The Cantona incident and Paul Nixon murder are talking out of their arses.
There was never any history between the fans until that night at Selhurst, and as others have said, the atmosphere at Villa Park for the semi was poisonous. The fight followed the arrival of Man U fans arriving at The Fulbrook pub in Walsall, looking for scapegoats for King Eric's demise.
The bottom line is Cantona and Simmonds were prats, and a Palace fan lost his life as a consequence of that.

R I P Paul Nixon.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interview with Simmonds here from a few years back. Sounds like an utter tool. Seems to have flitted between Fulham and Palace over the years.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/oct/31/newsstory.sport2

Earlier in this thread, one of our Palace friends intimated that Cantona should have received a life ban as Simmonds did. I assumed he meant Simmonds had a life ban from Palace or, more probably, football in general. That interview suggests he has neither.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Earlier in this thread, one of our Palace friends intimated that Cantona should have received a life ban as Simmonds did. I assumed he meant Simmonds had a life ban from Palace or, more probably, football in general. That interview suggests he has neither.

I think there are reports floating around suggesting that he was banned at one stage.

But that interview (from 2004) suggests it's been rescinded.

In 2011 he was convicted of threatening his young son's football coach. Doesn't appear the message has got through, does it?

COYP

Oct 1, 2012

You're quite right Bozza, just checked and he only got a 12 month ban, I honestly thought I read an interview with him whining about the fact he'd been banned from Selhurst for life but I'm clearly wrong. Shame because I feel given his past history as a BNP and NF sympathiser should mean he's banned anyway. I also feel that Cantona should have been banned for life.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Start the car.

At least one of our resident Palace chums will be on here shortly to conclusively and definitively link the actions of Cantona to the (tragic) death of a Palace fan who was run over by a coach at a Villa Park cup semi final months later.

I think it's important to state what actually happened: He was run over trying to escape after being stabbed and hit with a brick.

I don't blame Cantona with the death of Paul Nixon (RIP) but there is no doubt that Palace fans associate him with a tragic loss of life. Wearing Cantona masks to a Palace game brings back horrible memories for a lot of people and, I think, is in extremely bad taste.

There will, no doubt, be certain people in the crowd singing songs about Munich. These people go into the same category. Football is a game, the loss of human life is a terrible thing and shouldn't ever be mocked.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's important to state what actually happened: He was run over trying to escape after being stabbed and hit with a brick.

I don't blame Cantona with the death of Paul Nixon (RIP) but there is no doubt that Palace fans associate him with a tragic loss of life. Wearing Cantona masks to a Palace game brings back horrible memories for a lot of people and, I think, is in extremely bad taste.

There will, no doubt, be certain people in the crowd singing songs about Munich. These people go into the same category. Football is a game, the loss of human life is a terrible thing and shouldn't ever be mocked.

Genuine question: what happened to the man responsible? I mean the United fan (or whatever he was), rather than Cantona?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're quite right Bozza, just checked and he only got a 12 month ban, I honestly thought I read an interview with him whining about the fact he'd been banned from Selhurst for life but I'm clearly wrong. Shame because I feel given his past history as a BNP and NF sympathiser should mean he's banned anyway. I also feel that Cantona should have been banned for life.

A sign of the differing football times, I guess. It's hard to imagine that Palace wouldn't give out a life ban in today's footballing climate.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Genuine question: what happened to the man responsible? I mean the United fan (or whatever he was), rather than Cantona?

The United fans closed ranks, coppers didn't really bother investigating it and no one was ever brought to justice for it. I'd like to think if the situation was reversed, we'd shop one of our own if he was guilty of murdering someone. I hope so anyway.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to think if the situation was reversed, we'd shop one of our own if he was guilty of murdering someone. I hope so anyway.

You would, and I would, but I think we all know that every club has its tossers for whom tribal loyalties are more important than anything else.

Much as we like to take the piss, United will have exactly the same percentage of decent fans to tossers as any other club.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Lighthearted is it ? I was at the cantona game and I was at the semi final game at villa park . There is a direct link to Paul's death and for some of you to make it a case of amusement is pretty poor .
Going back to the semi final day the atmosphere was poisioness with man utd fans looking for palace fans to have a go at . Considering there is no history between the clubs it was a bit unusual I would say . Basically they were saying it was palaces fault that cantona got banned and they weren't happy about it . It kicked off all through the game with groups of utd in the palace section and it was a horrible atmosphere . In regard to Paul ( I didn't know him personally ) he was on a palace coach who knew some Walsall fans so arranged to meet at a Walsall pub . Soon after a utd coach turned up and it was tense but songs were exchanged , it wasn't untill a second utd coach turned up the mood changed . The palace left the pub to go to the game and then it all started . The coach coach wasn't all lads , it was a mixture with wife's and kids inboard , so it was totally unwarranted . During this Paul was attacked and feel under the coach which the court found was the cause of his death . If Paul hadn't been attacked he wouldn't have fell under the coach would he .
Palace fans feel a lot of resentment towards utd from that day and if they start goading with masks it will turn nasty , rumours doing the rounds is a few have got tickets in the palace stands so we shall see .
So Eric Cantona himself had no actual involvement in the death of a fan. It was due to some disgruntled supporters. Glad to have sorted that out eventually.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
So Eric Cantona himself had no actual involvement in the death of a fan. It was due to some disgruntled supporters. Glad to have sorted that out eventually.

Well thats good then .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Those saying there isn't a link between The Cantona incident and Paul Nixon murder are talking out of their arses.
There was never any history between the fans until that night at Selhurst, and as others have said, the atmosphere at Villa Park for the semi was poisonous. The fight followed the arrival of Man U fans arriving at The Fulbrook pub in Walsall, looking for scapegoats for King Eric's demise.
The bottom line is Cantona and Simmonds were prats, and a Palace fan lost his life as a consequence of that.

R I P Paul Nixon.

Is anyone saying that the two incidents CAN'T be linked? Clearly they can be linked but even if so, it didn't mean Cantona was responsible for the death of your fan.

R.I.P. Paul Nixon.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Is anyone saying that the two incidents CAN'T be linked? Clearly they can be linked but even if so, it didn't mean Cantona was responsible for the death of your fan.

R.I.P. Paul Nixon.

The issue isn't Cantona's level of responsibility, the issue is that at the very least since 2005 Man United fans have been made fully aware of why Palace fans don't feel its appropriate for them to take Cantona masks to Selhurst Park and yet they choose to do it anyway. If you don't get that this is why the Palace fans are furious then you never will.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

R.I.P. Paul Nixon.

We are going round in circles here
Ok i agree simmons was a prat
Cantona was a idiot to react
utd fans idolised him and blamed us for his ban
Utd fans wanted to vent their fury at the first oppotunity
Paul was in the wrong place at the wrong time
If you disregard the rivarly for a minute and look at the facts its all there

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The issue isn't Cantona's level of responsibility, the issue is that at the very least since 2005 Man United fans have been made fully aware of why Palace fans don't feel its appropriate for them to take Cantona masks to Selhurst Park and yet they choose to do it anyway. If you don't get that this is why the Palace fans are furious then you never will.

Yes, it's insensitive. That's football though isn't it? You have fans who gleefully brag about the tackle that broke Gerry Ryan's leg. However, there are palace fans even on here who are saying they're not bothered. There will doubtless be fans who don't even know who Cantona is as well. Therefore some palace fans will be furious fair enough. Personally, although I find the whole Kung Fu luck thing pretty amusing, I still think Cantona was wrong and wouldn't personally condone the masks in the circumstances.
There's a danger that the whole thing will become whipped up again and someone else will be seriously hurt.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Yes, it's insensitive. That's football though isn't it? You have fans who gleefully brag about the tackle that broke Gerry Ryan's leg. However, there are palace fans even on here who are saying they're not bothered. There will doubtless be fans who don't even know who Cantona is as well. Therefore some palace fans will be furious fair enough. Personally, although I find the whole Kung Fu luck thing pretty amusing, I still think Cantona was wrong and wouldn't personally condone the masks in the circumstances.
There's a danger that the whole thing will become whipped up again and someone else will be seriously hurt.

I agree with you, especially about the danger of it being whipped up again. Yes we have a few idiots here or there saying 'If they bring masks then we have a right to chant about Munich' hopefully you can see the vast majority of Palace fans have called these people idiots. Unfortunately there are also lots of Man United scummers on twitter saying things like this:

Rags ‏@Ragulator · 5h
[MENTION=14319]brad[/MENTION]Thomas234 Hope the United fans Nixon him up tomorrow. Little c**t.

Beef Squatch ‏@LiamCallananana · 7h
It must be said, perhaps Cantona has taken it too far by deciding to wear a Paul Nixon mask to the game.

Anyone really wanted to know what it was like that day should read this thread on the BBS. Might explain it a little better than how I and others on this thread did:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250755

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here