Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Okay who believes in ghosts?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Sod that. Whatever you do DONT watch 'The conjuring'!

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
In 1963 when I was in the RAF at Gaydon in Warwickshire, Edgehill the site of the first battle of the Civil War was nearby. Myself, a colleague and two young ladies went along to see the "ghosts" that are supposed to appear on the anniversary of the battle ( Oct 23 ). Just after midnight what appeared to be a bank of fog rolled down the hill and over our car, it went scarily quiet and bitterly cold. The young ladies were not happy so when my colleague tried to start the car, nothing not even a flat battery type of noise. When the fog cleared the car started first push of the start button. Weird, make of that what you will but it made me more open to the possibility of ghosts or spirits.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
As has already been alluded to on this thread, with the proliferation of mobile recording devices in recent years, if ghosts existed then it is an absolute certainty that there would be now be numerous recordings of them, the internet would literally be awash with them. These recordings would hold up to scrutiny and not be exposed as fakes. The fact that not one single example of such has happened is proof enough that Brian Cox et al and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics are right. In this case you really can argue that absence of evidence is indeed evidence of absence. That's not to say that there aren't naturally occurring conditions that we don't yet fully understand, and that our senses, being tuned primarily for survival and procreation, can't make sense of. But one thing they are not are manifestations of dead spirits or any other such hocum. Great for stories, rubbish for reality.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In 1963 when I was in the RAF at Gaydon in Warwickshire, Edgehill the site of the first battle of the Civil War was nearby. Myself, a colleague and two young ladies went along to see the "ghosts" that are supposed to appear on the anniversary of the battle ( Oct 23 ). Just after midnight what appeared to be a bank of fog rolled down the hill and over our car, it went scarily quiet and bitterly cold. The young ladies were not happy so when my colleague tried to start the car, nothing not even a flat battery type of noise. When the fog cleared the car started first push of the start button. Weird, make of that what you will but it made me more open to the possibility of ghosts or spirits.

Well, fog is moisture, so a dense heavy fog is incredibly damp. Stick that in an engine (especially in the '60's) and it may well effect the car's ability to start. Fog clears, car starts. Ghosts, or moisture in the electrics!?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
after reading this thread i thought id look up the second law of thermodynamics.......

"The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve toward thermodynamic equilibrium—the state of maximum entropy. Equivalently, perpetual motion machines of the second kind are impossible.

The second law is an empirically validated postulate of thermodynamics, but it can be understood and explained using the underlying quantum statistical mechanics, together with the assumption of low-entropy initial conditions in the distant past (possibly at the beginning of the universe). In the language of statistical mechanics, entropy is a measure of the number of microscopic configurations corresponding to a macroscopic state. Because thermodynamic equilibrium corresponds to a vastly greater number of microscopic configurations than any non-equilibrium state, it has the maximum entropy, and the second law follows because random chance alone practically guarantees that the system will evolve towards such thermodynamic equilibrium.

It is an expression of the fact that over time, differences in temperature, pressure, and chemical potential decrease in an isolated non-gravitational physical system, leading eventually to a state of thermodynamic equilibrium.

The second law may be expressed in many specific ways, but the first formulation is credited to the French scientist Sadi Carnot in 1824 (see Timeline of thermodynamics). Strictly speaking, the early statements of the Second Law are only correct in a horizontal plane in a gravitational field.

The second law has been shown to be equivalent to the internal energy U being a weakly convex function, when written as a function of extensive properties (mass, volume, entropy."

...... well that's cleared that up then!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Clearly a case of being sceptical just for the sake of it here. Of course ghosts and spirits exist, I am watching some right now on Most Haunted Sky 122.
Yvette is screaming her head off as a ghost has just chucked a lump of coal at her.
Some geezer called Carl has just legged it. Just waiting for Derek Acorah to go into a trance for confirmation.
Watch it and you will believe.

Jimmy boy 69

Nov 24, 2012
Brighton
after reading this thread i thought id look up the second law of thermodynamics.......

"The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve toward thermodynamic equilibrium—the state of maximum entropy. Equivalently, perpetual motion machines of the second kind are impossible.

The second law is an empirically validated postulate of thermodynamics, but it can be understood and explained using the underlying quantum statistical mechanics, together with the assumption of low-entropy initial conditions in the distant past (possibly at the beginning of the universe). In the language of statistical mechanics, entropy is a measure of the number of microscopic configurations corresponding to a macroscopic state. Because thermodynamic equilibrium corresponds to a vastly greater number of microscopic configurations than any non-equilibrium state, it has the maximum entropy, and the second law follows because random chance alone practically guarantees that the system will evolve towards such thermodynamic equilibrium.

It is an expression of the fact that over time, differences in temperature, pressure, and chemical potential decrease in an isolated non-gravitational physical system, leading eventually to a state of thermodynamic equilibrium.

The second law may be expressed in many specific ways, but the first formulation is credited to the French scientist Sadi Carnot in 1824 (see Timeline of thermodynamics). Strictly speaking, the early statements of the Second Law are only correct in a horizontal plane in a gravitational field.

The second law has been shown to be equivalent to the internal energy U being a weakly convex function, when written as a function of extensive properties (mass, volume, entropy."

...... well that's cleared that up then!

So in translation we dont really kno so we will write a load of bullshit....
So they cant explain the start of the universe, but at least we now kno that ghosts dont exist because of the laws of thermodynamics.......it's also strange how cognitive dissonance takes hold of everyone in debates like this.....

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
When I was younger we lived in an old victorian house in Lee, on more than one occasion more than one person saw the same thing so I it could just be that was person was seeing something that was not there.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Plenty of people say that a ghost has never been filmed but there was a car commercial being filmed a few years ago and they picked something up unexplained, also some very weird noises, make sure you have the sound on

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I consider myself lucky to have lived in a very haunted house on Merseyside as a kid. It had been bombed during the war so my house was a 1950s place sitting in a row of Victorian town houses overlooking a small park.

As kids we dabbled a lot in Ouija and Seances and got some spectacular results (banging on walls, phones ringing just as we asked if anyone was there..no one on the line..strange smells and some very unpleasant " breathing" near to a members of our circle which sounded male and would occur in the recipients bedroom late at night. It all culminated in the appearance of a fair haired boy who was often seen at the top of the stairs, looking over the bannister.my mum came home one day and saw me standing in the hall through the frosted glass in the door. She was carrying shopping so was banging on te door for me to come and help. She saw " me" walking off down the hall and round the corner apparenly ignoring her. When she got in no one was. In.

My scientist dad hated the place and refused to stay there and the dog went literally mad and had to be put down...she wouldn't come n ever.

Those spirits I picked up stuck to me for years. A warm breeze would waft past me in school, in the shops...anywhere. It stank like something really rotten and no one else could smell it. I think that yes, there are unexplained presences despit Pro. Coxswain thermodynamics. I've also seen a terrifying ghost at stanmer ( same one seen by another poster) and drank in a pub in Estboutne where the front door would open and close on its own at 8 pm e dry night...which was attribute to a regular who dad recently passed and always appeared at 8.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
You're someone who I would put into the believer category. I have no idea what the 'metaphysical' is but I do not believe it exists, and this is why we have not been able to quantify, analyse or even detect it. (Whatever 'it' is supposed to be.)

Metaphysical - of or relating to the transcendent or to a reality beyond what is perceptible to the senses (i.e. the non-physical)

If you have a mind or a conscience, there there are two non-physical things which we know exist. As Descartes said: I think. Therefore, I am.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you turn the TV, radio and internet off you haven't turned off the fact those waves are in the air, you're just not tuned in and using the right equipment to see them. Or summat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here