Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Okay who believes in ghosts?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
During the first few years at boarding school some of the older boys used to visit our dorm dressed up as ghosts. It might not sound very scary but it sure put the willies up us.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont. but... a few years a go a friend announced "we've got a ghost". after doing some DIY work in their front room, involving opening out and replacing the fire place, they found a couple of strange phenomenon. firstly their dog wouldn't go into the room, which was odd as she previously insisted on inspecting all visitors throughly. to go walkies they'd hve to carry her through. the second odd thing was a hair brush kept getting moved around. dismissed as forgetfulness but it would move rooms and appear on 6ft high shelf or a window sill the kids couldnt reach. their elder daughter ask who the lady was in the front room, scaring the shit out of Mum who ran in to find no one there and the front door locked. the younger daughter, about 2, took to going in to the room and reading books aloud on her own, when normally she'd only read to someone else. after a couple of months they did something to the fireplace (dont recall, may have blocked it up), and wierdness stopped - dog started going back into the front room, brush stopped moving, daughter stopped reading alone.

very, very weird. absolutly no proof whatsoever.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Ghosts? Not in the spiritual/paranormal sense. I believe the scientific explanations that the vast majority of these phenomena can be explained by a combination of lucid dream states, changes in the electromagnetic field affecting the brain (the God Helmet idea), mental illness or impairment (temporal lobe epilepsy), involuntary muscle spasms, auto suggestion and the fact that our brains have evolved to be hard-wired with amazing facial recognition 'software' which then sometimes fills in the gaps that our vision misses with faces that aren't really there (ie - it's safer to think you've seen a face or person that isn't there than miss one that really is). I've had experiences that I can explain by some or a combination of all those variables. If I were religious or less proof-driven I could easily attribute them to the paranormal. In reality though I'm convinced they are just a combination of the way the natural world at times interacts with our less than perfect senses and brain chemistry.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
:salute:

You've nailed that one sir, well done.

And to think that you had the audacity to call me stupid earlier in the thread :lol:

I'm happy to admit if i've made an error of judgement. Your move.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
We used to do the ouiji board quite a lot in our younger days, quite a few years ago now.
We experienced some outright out of this world happenings which culminated in the last seance so frightening we've never done it since.
Do I believe in ghosts? Well I'm not sure never having seen one.
Do I believe in entities or spirits not of this world? Most definitely

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm happy to admit if i've made an error of judgement. Your move.

Why do I need to make a move? I made a perfectly valid statement, you questioned it (perhaps your dislike of me clouded your judgement and you felt compelled to argue even though there was nothing to argue with? ??? ) but now you've realised you were stupid to do so we are back to where we are started.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
To believe in Ghosts is to believe that when you die your soul carries on... which as far as I am concerned is a bit silly.

Oh, and why do you never see a ghost rabbit? It always seems to be an old Victorian lady or a weird child.

My personal belief is that the human mind is VERY easily tricked and manipulated.

There is a lot more going on in the human mind than the human concerned is even aware of. It is fear and superstition which prevents us from using our minds far more than we do.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Whilst travelling I have been to numerous haunted places and always done the ghost tours, never believed or seen anything just enjoyed them as a bit of a laugh!

However back in March my girlfriends mum passed away unexpectedly, two days after she died I woke in the middle of the night and there was a woman standing at the side of the bed looking at my girlfriend, shit myself, jumped up, went for the light switch and challenged her, she turned smiled and walked off into the wall. Scared the absolute bejesus out of me and since then I am a little more open to the idea of ghosts, although we have not seen her since so maybe she just wanted to say goodbye.

A lot of people have had this or similar experiences.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I guess it depends on what a ghost is because if we get into quantum physics and time, it could be possible to see events from the past or future.

What people claim to be paranormal activities could be put down to times crossing paths rather than seeing dead people walking. Maybe the "ghost" is just as freaked out as what the people that claim to see them are?

Does time have knots in it?

Spot on.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Doesn't mean we can't observe it, quantify it or understand it though.

But that's the point. We're not at that stage yet. We haven't yet learnt how to quantify or analyse the metaphysical, therefore, many of us dismiss it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
But that's the point. We're not at that stage yet. We haven't yet learnt how to quantify or analyse the metaphysical, therefore, many of us dismiss it.

You're someone who I would put into the believer category. I have no idea what the 'metaphysical' is but I do not believe it exists, and this is why we have not been able to quantify, analyse or even detect it. (Whatever 'it' is supposed to be.)

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
If three spirits appeared before you on Christmas eve, what would they have to show you to change your beliefs?

Robin Ince: Them just being there is enough. You look at them and go, "Yes, there they are, the talking dead." They don't have to say anything. And they go, "Oh, we will take you on a journey." No. It's fine. You've done it.

Prof Brian Cox: It's my view that the existence of ghosts would contravene the second law of thermodynamics. The principle of the conservation of energy, and the fact that entropy always increases; you'd be hard put to throw that away. You'd have to rip the book up; that's what it would imply if you saw a ghost. I would say, "I could not be any more surprised than I am by the fact that thermodynamics appears to be shit."

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Prof Brian Cox: It's my view that the existence of ghosts would contravene the second law of thermodynamics. The principle of the conservation of energy, and the fact that entropy always increases; you'd be hard put to throw that away. You'd have to rip the book up; that's what it would imply if you saw a ghost. I would say, "I could not be any more surprised than I am by the fact that thermodynamics appears to be shit."

that lad is proper clever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here