Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jayson Molumby

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Consensus from Millwall fans is he’s very aggressive and a 110% player who can definitely play. EXACTLY what our team is lacking. I think Molumby could be our hit of the new season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Consensus from Millwall fans is he’s very aggressive and a 110% player who can definitely play. EXACTLY what our team is lacking. I think Molumby could be our hit of the new season.

All the reviews from Millwall fans are very encouraging. He could be the long term replacement for Dale.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Surprisingly there are reports he’s going back to Millwall...

Was looking forward to Molumby stepping up into the team this season. Thought he looked fantastic in our friendly vs Chelsea in Center mid when he came on.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Surprisingly there are reports he’s going back to Millwall...

Was looking forward to Molumby stepping up into the team this season. Thought he looked fantastic in our friendly vs Chelsea in Center mid when he came on.

I'd be really disappointed by that. Not just because I think Molumbby is ready for our first team, but I think it would put a question mark in the minds of our youngsters. It's one thing sending them out on loan to develop, but if a player does everything the club asks and they don't get an opportunity, then it hardly fosters any loyalty to stay? In light of what happened with Ben White this summer, in future if players go out on loan and like it at a club they might decide they'd rather play there if we dont give opportunities to players when they return.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'd be really disappointed by that. Not just because I think Molumbby is ready for our first team, but I think it would put a question mark in the minds of our youngsters. It's one thing sending them out on loan to develop, but if a player does everything the club asks and they don't get an opportunity, then it hardly fosters any loyalty to stay? In light of what happened with Ben White this summer, in future if players go out on loan and like it at a club they might decide they'd rather play there if we dont give opportunities to players when they return.

Depends whether we think we'll give enough game time to help continue his development. I don't think the Albion have to prove anything to their young players, if you are good enough you'll get a game. Our preferred model is to develop or buy young rather than splash out on big signings which is the biggest impediment to progress at other clubs.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah This.

Particularly when they are going back to the same club they played for last season, in the same division.
What exactly are they going to learn there this season that they didn't last season?

Clark was player of the season last year and Molumby was very highly rated, so it's not as if either have much more to prove at Championship level.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed on Molumby. If Potter thinks he is realistically 4-5th choice then whats the point on leaving him on a bench all season. For everyone Molumby, there is also a Ben White that did go straight into the first team (possibly with the club under slight duress)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Also worth bearing in mind that he's recently broken into the Irish side and, with the Euros next year, he'll want to be playing week in, week out. Perhaps he's be pushing for a loan as he knows he won't get regular starts at Brighton this season.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Depends whether we think we'll give enough game time to help continue his development. I don't think the Albion have to prove anything to their young players, if you are good enough you'll get a game. Our preferred model is to develop or buy young rather than splash out on big signings which is the biggest impediment to progress at other clubs.

To be honest I think the club do have to prove something our young players. There are some negative posts on here about Haydon Roberts dad because he's criticised the clubs development of players, opposing fans have critcised us for by saying we havent develoepd players, the clubs we've loaned them to have. We can take all of those criticisms on the chin, and say it's not true, that its part of our development plan, but only IF we give players a chance. Otherwise, and I hate to say it, those criticisms may be true.

If we want to develop and keep good young players then we do have to prove to them that this is a place where you'll get a chance, not just if you're in the top 1% of the academy. Otherwise we're just doing what clubs like Chelsea are doing. Having a whole academy full of players you loan out and only 1 or 2 ever make it trhough to the first team.

Its also worth pointing out that one of the criticisms levelled at Hughton was that he didn't bring the youngsters through. Arguably while he was in charge those players were perhaps still too green. Now we have players who are ready, who have been out on loan and done well, its not good enough to say there's no room in the squad for them so we'll ship them out on loan again. That is clearly not bringing players through, which is the same criticism levelled at Hughton.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
If he is to go out on loan, I do not see the rush. There are potentially two league cup games and Biss is out. I'd like to see what he can do in his favoured position. If he really wants to go to Millwall he can go closer to the end of the window.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can't see him going on loan and us selling Stephens, one or the other maybe

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Centre midfield options now Kayal and Stephens and Mooy are gone. Bissouma, Alzate, Molumby and Propper how have we lost players but still feels like we're strengthening? Loans coming back are like new signings.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
To be honest I think the club do have to prove something our young players. There are some negative posts on here about Haydon Roberts dad because he's criticised the clubs development of players, opposing fans have critcised us for by saying we havent develoepd players, the clubs we've loaned them to have. We can take all of those criticisms on the chin, and say it's not true, that its part of our development plan, but only IF we give players a chance. Otherwise, and I hate to say it, those criticisms may be true.

If we want to develop and keep good young players then we do have to prove to them that this is a place where you'll get a chance, not just if you're in the top 1% of the academy. Otherwise we're just doing what clubs like Chelsea are doing. Having a whole academy full of players you loan out and only 1 or 2 ever make it trhough to the first team.

Its also worth pointing out that one of the criticisms levelled at Hughton was that he didn't bring the youngsters through. Arguably while he was in charge those players were perhaps still too green. Now we have players who are ready, who have been out on loan and done well, its not good enough to say there's no room in the squad for them so we'll ship them out on loan again. That is clearly not bringing players through, which is the same criticism levelled at Hughton.

"Otherwise we're just doing what Chelsea are doing" - isn't that the whole point, to be a club in the top 10, like Chelsea? . It's a lot more ruthless up here, all the top sides loan out their youngsters and only the very best make it into the first team. Just because you are young and promising doesn't mean you start week in week out for a team competing at arguably the highest level of football in the world.

Don't feel worried about the youngsters, they are here because they are ambitious enough to believe they can make it at Brighton. There are plenty of clubs where they could go and play but they're trying to make it at the very top, they want to be a player in a top ten premier league side. So they will know the score, that they do need to be the top 1%.

As for comparing us to other clubs, how many others have three recent youth products as first team starters - White, Alzate, Connolly - Chelsea are only ones I can instantly think of, ironically.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
"Otherwise we're just doing what Chelsea are doing" - isn't that the whole point, to be a club in the top 10, like Chelsea? . It's a lot more ruthless up here, all the top sides loan out their youngsters and only the very best make it into the first team. Just because you are young and promising doesn't mean you start week in week out for a team competing at arguably the highest level of football in the world.

Don't feel worried about the youngsters, they are here because they are ambitious enough to believe they can make it at Brighton. There are plenty of clubs where they could go and play but they're trying to make it at the very top, they want to be a player in a top ten premier league side. So they will know the score, that they do need to be the top 1%.

As for comparing us to other clubs, how many others have three recent youth products as first team starters - White, Alzate, Connolly - Chelsea are only ones I can instantly think of, ironically.

No it's not the whole point. The club have very openly on record said that they want to create a "production line" from the academy to the first team. Its the reason they brought Dan Ashworth in, to oversee that.

I appreciate its tricky to determine who stays and goes in a big squad, but a player like Molumby who has worked hard, done what we asked and had a great season out on loan has definitely earned his shot. That's not a youngster being entitled or foolishly having the wrong expectations, thats a player doing what's asked of them with the promise of an opportunity, and we have made that promise. Not every player in our academy is in that situation, but Molumby is. If we don't give players in that situation a chance then surely it raises questions about how genuine our desire is to create a production line from the academy.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No it's not the whole point. The club have very openly on record said that they want to create a "production line" from the academy to the first team. Its the reason they brought Dan Ashworth in, to oversee that.

I appreciate its tricky to determine who stays and goes in a big squad, but a player like Molumby who has worked hard, done what we asked and had a great season out on loan has definitely earned his shot. That's not a youngster being entitled or foolishly having the wrong expectations, thats a player doing what's asked of them with the promise of an opportunity, and we have made that promise. Not every player in our academy is in that situation, but Molumby is. If we don't give players in that situation a chance then surely it raises questions about how genuine our desire is to create a production line from the academy.

A production line generates product for sale. The boss may occasionally keep the finest for himself. That's what a production line does. There isn't a poster online anywhere who knows exactly how and where a player is regarded by the club. If Molumby goes back on loan, it's not just because he is or isn't ready for our Premier League squad yet. That will be just part of the decision making process by a thoroughly professional, consider every single aspect, big business. Frankly, my guess is that we are now the very best club in the Premier League at making these decisions for the benefit of the club first and the player second. I believe we have the best executive team in the country for every aspect of our club and if the club decides Molumby goes, I trust the club that's it's best, and I emphasise, for the club first and the player second. There can be no other order of things.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
a player like Molumby who has worked hard, done what we asked and had a great season out on loan has definitely earned his shot. .

According to you, clearly not to Potter and Ashworth (if he genuinely is going out on loan). If they feel his development will be accelerated, enabling him to be a better player for us in future, by going out on loan for another year then that's good enough for me. They know a lot more about the player than any of us do!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Wonder if there will be a right-to-buy clause in the loan deal? Hope not - if we are going to sell him on (I'd rather see him at Brighton TBH) I'd hope for some decent bids, and ultimately a price Millwall probably can't pay.
Same goes for Clarke at Derby - both youngsters must feel they haven't made any progress from last season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm pretty sure GP wouldnt mind having Molumby in the squad, but he was quite outspoken a few weeks ago that he wants to play regularly or go on loan again. While getting some game time would have been likely, playing regularly wouldnt, so I'm not really surprised by this. I think he'll be ready to compete in a year, but for now Alzate, Bissouma, Pröpper and Lallana makes "playing regularly" unlikely.

If they are good enough, they play, as proven by White, Alzate and Connolly. Its very simple really.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
According to you, clearly not to Potter and Ashworth (if he genuinely is going out on loan). If they feel his development will be accelerated, enabling him to be a better player for us in future, by going out on loan for another year then that's good enough for me. They know a lot more about the player than any of us do!

I don't think sending him out on loan is a clear indication of him not doing what he's been asked. The fact is we sent him on loan to develop, on the basis that if he does well he'll get a chance. And like I say that's not my hypothesis, the club have been very clear in saying they send players out on loan to prepare them for first team football. Molumby went out on loan and had a great season, again not just my opinion but one shared by Millwall and Brighton, to the extent Millwall wanted to buy him and we said no "we see him as player who will become part of teh first team". Obvioulsy the club are better placed than me to judge whether a player is ready or not. All I am saying is that the club have made it clear what their intentions are, they sell those promises to the young palyers, and if we don't deliver on them when the time comes, it may very well come back to hurt us.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't think sending him out on loan is a clear indication of him not doing what he's been asked. The fact is we sent him on loan to develop, on the basis that if he does well he'll get a chance. And like I say that's not my hypothesis, the club have been very clear in saying they send players out on loan to prepare them for first team football. Molumby went out on loan and had a great season, again not just my opinion but one shared by Millwall and Brighton, to the extent Millwall wanted to buy him and we said no "we see him as player who will become part of teh first team". Obvioulsy the club are better placed than me to judge whether a player is ready or not. All I am saying is that the club have made it clear what their intentions are, they sell those promises to the young palyers, and if we don't deliver on them when the time comes, it may very well come back to hurt us.

It was the 'He has earned his shot" part. If he goes out on loan then Potter and Ashworth don't think he has, yet. You also don't know what he has been asked, none of us do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here