[Albion] Jayson Molumby

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If you look at the squad (as per the club site) we've got 4 GKs, 7 defenders, 13 midfielders and 3 forwards. The midfielders include Izquierdo (unlikely to play??), Stephens (to Burnley??) and Molumby (to Millwall?), and the forwards include Andone (unlikely to play??). If you exclude those question marks, we only have 23 in the squad. Gyokeres could be one addition. And possibly another striker??). Although Molumby may be close to the 18 man match-day squad, maybe the club rate Sanders ahead of him?? I was slightly confused by Molumby playing a sort of right back role in the Pompey game.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If you look at the squad (as per the club site) we've got 4 GKs, 7 defenders, 13 midfielders and 3 forwards. The midfielders include Izquierdo (unlikely to play??), Stephens (to Burnley??) and Molumby (to Millwall?), and the forwards include Andone (unlikely to play??). If you exclude those question marks, we only have 23 in the squad. Gyokeres could be one addition. And possibly another striker??). Although Molumby may be close to the 18 man match-day squad, maybe the club rate Sanders ahead of him?? I was slightly confused by Molumby playing a sort of right back role in the Pompey game.

What do I know, without stats or as a non coach, but I don't think Sanders is ahead of Molumby right now.

Maybe his surprise inclusion in the ROI squad is pushing him to request Millwall again, a year out from the euros. No chance he's going if he's not playing regularly (which he was last season and which his recent call up was based on his performances for Millwall).

The irony is the ROI semi final is 8 October, 3 days after the PL window shuts...... but with PL to championship still open.

Would he be wiser to wait another month?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Naylor is predicting that he starts tomorrow night, so another chance to shine if he does.

[TWEET]1308347785603883008[/TWEET]

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That "maybe" is doing a shit tonne of heavy lifting.

You could almost get a pass if CH was still in charge.
But come on have a look at what's happening to your team and then still tell us MAYBE Potter and Ashworth know what they are doing.

You're talking about two completely different things. I never said they don't know what they’re doing in terms of our first team. I'm talking about the project to develop young players and the message it sends to them.

If Molumby goes out on loan again I don't think you can begrudge HIM for thinking he's been let down. He must be thinking "what else have I got to do?".
Maybe Potter doesn’t think he's ready for a chance. And that's what we're talking about, a chance, not a starting regular. The club prime all their young players for this opportunity, they talk about development plans and getting players to that level, even the training ground was designed and built to psychologically motivate youngsters to get this chance. But crucially this isn't about whether he's good enough and will make it in our first team, this about not giving him the chance. If you put him in the side and it doesn’t work, then everyone can see it wasn't meant to be. But if he goes through the development plan, and doesn't get a chance that sends a message to young players at the club.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
You're talking about two completely different things. I never said they don't know what they’re doing in terms of our first team. I'm talking about the project to develop young players and the message it sends to them.

If Molumby goes out on loan again I don't think you can begrudge HIM for thinking he's been let down. He must be thinking "what else have I got to do?".
Maybe Potter doesn’t think he's ready for a chance. And that's what we're talking about, a chance, not a starting regular. The club prime all their young players for this opportunity, they talk about development plans and getting players to that level, even the training ground was designed and built to psychologically motivate youngsters to get this chance. But crucially this isn't about whether he's good enough and will make it in our first team, this about not giving him the chance. If you put him in the side and it doesn’t work, then everyone can see it wasn't meant to be. But if he goes through the development plan, and doesn't get a chance that sends a message to young players at the club.

Lot of assumptions in this post

Stumpy Tim

Don't forget that Molumby missed a lot of football with his injuries. Maybe they feel he needs regular football rather than maybe making a series of short appearances in 15-20 games a season. Molumby wants regular football, and quite rightly. I think he'll come back a much better player in 10 months if he goes off to Millwall

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I don't know how you can possibly think that without entertaining the idea that JM wants to go back out on loan to finish his apprenticeship.

Or what is actually the most likely scenario.

The club and player recognise JM is good enough to be part of the Premier League squad but not yet good enough to walk straight in.

So a further and final year on loan, with him staying on his current trajectory, all but guarantees him a starting place as the club sells Alzate off for £40m.
An owners dream.

Does that sound at all familiar to you, any of it, any of it at all?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The "development plan" is not some kind of fixed system. Even if you are good in the Championship it doesnt automatically give you a place in the first team unless you are good enough.

With Potter shipping Andone & Locadia to make room for Connolly, benching and then shipping Duffy to make room for Webster & White, starting Alzate instead of i.e. Stephens, shipping Montoya & Schelotto and go with Lamptey, as well as bringing Mac Allister into the side, I think young players know that there is a way into the team - if they are good enough.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
With the govts announcement of 6 months of restrictions, it’s unlikely that the crowds will return to the Amex this season certainly not at anywhere near full capacity .

As a club we are likely to lose around £40 million on gate receipts and share of gate receipts for cup games .

As such I suspect we will be looking to save money where we can . Allowing Stephens to go for a fee of between 1-2 million also saves his wages of around £2 M for this season .

Promoting Molumby who deserves a chance based on his ability anyway would save the club money .

I suspect we will persist with March in his new role unless a very good value alternative is found . That will also save money both for the transfer fee plus another £2-2.5 m salary .

We may still get a striker but I suspect the fee won’t be over £15 m if we wish to continue being prudent in these unprecedented times .

In my humble opinion we are good enough to stay up with the squad we have albeit another decent striker would give us the chance to improve on last season .

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
With the govts announcement of 6 months of restrictions, it’s unlikely that the crowds will return to the Amex this season certainly not at anywhere near full capacity .

As a club we are likely to lose around £40 million on gate receipts and share of gate receipts for cup games .

As such I suspect we will be looking to save money where we can . Allowing Stephens to go for a fee of between 1-2 million also saves his wages of around £2 M for this season .

Promoting Molumby who deserves a chance based on his ability anyway would save the club money .

I suspect we will persist with March in his new role unless a very good value alternative is found . That will also save money both for the transfer fee plus another £2-2.5 m salary .

We may still get a striker but I suspect the fee won’t be over £15 m if we wish to continue being prudent in these unprecedented times .

In my humble opinion we are good enough to stay up with the squad we have albeit another decent striker would give us the chance to improve on last season .

A sensible and thoughtful post; thank you.
I suspect some of the big spenders during the transfer window have made a desperate bid to ensure they avoid the drop next year. Three will have made a big error of judgement.....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Agree with all of that which makes letting Molumby go all the more surprising.
He has looked ready to step up as a regular match day squad player albeit not a starter yet

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Stephens looks like he is being moved on and Propper has been out of the side with Biss and Alzate now making a claim for the two midfield spots. If I was him I would be pushing to stay and fight for a starting place alongside those two otherwise if Biss and Alzate continue to develop he may find himself without a chair when the music stops next summer.

Another season on loan at Millwall does not seem to make sense if you want to start staking a claim to be a PL starter.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

There’s youngsters in the side though! If he’s not good enough currently to break in consistently then why not another loan? He’ll either get better and break in next season or be sold there’s no downside here

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Roberts dad wont be happy!

From what I’ve read on here, Roberts’ dad is unlikely to be happy even if he starts.

I’d be surprised if they don’t go 3 at the back, so he (Roberts) may still get a start. I imagine he’ll get at least 30 mins even if he’s on the bench - I hope so anyway.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Stephens looks like he is being moved on and Propper has been out of the side with Biss and Alzate now making a claim for the two midfield spots. If I was him I would be pushing to stay and fight for a starting place alongside those two otherwise if Biss and Alzate continue to develop he may find himself without a chair when the music stops next summer.

Another season on loan at Millwall does not seem to make sense if you want to start staking a claim to be a PL starter.

His overriding ambition seems to be to play for the Republic - seems less concerned with PL football.
Connolly seems to be the opposite he turned down the opportunity of a loan last year to stay and fight for a place in our team.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

The voice of reason. Those on here who are urging us to spend £25m+ on a striker seem not to have noticed that there's a global pandemic going on! Despite Tony's largesse he hasn't got the infinite resources of an oil state or oligarch. Luckily most of the usual suspects in the Premier have already spent their budgets. As we progress towards deadline day there will almost certainly be a bunch of clubs who become desperate to sell, just to ensure their continued existence. This transfer window could very well be the reverse of all previous windows - as the deadline approaches it is likely to become a buyers' market, for once.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
His overriding ambition seems to be to play for the Republic - seems less concerned with PL football.
Connolly seems to be the opposite he turned down the opportunity of a loan last year to stay and fight for a place in our team.

Possibly but his earning potential, development and credentials for inclusion in the national team will be increased by playing at the highest level.

If he is pushing to return to Millwall it shows a lack of ambition IMO

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Naylor is predicting that he starts tomorrow night, so another chance to shine if he does.

[TWEET]1308347785603883008[/TWEET]

FFS what is it with Potter that any young CM trying to break through has to play RB first? First Alzate, then Molumby and now Sanders! And it'll be a shame if Molumby's stuck out on the right too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports