Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jayson Molumby

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think sending him out on loan is a clear indication of him not doing what he's been asked. The fact is we sent him on loan to develop, on the basis that if he does well he'll get a chance. And like I say that's not my hypothesis, the club have been very clear in saying they send players out on loan to prepare them for first team football. Molumby went out on loan and had a great season, again not just my opinion but one shared by Millwall and Brighton, to the extent Millwall wanted to buy him and we said no "we see him as player who will become part of teh first team". Obvioulsy the club are better placed than me to judge whether a player is ready or not. All I am saying is that the club have made it clear what their intentions are, they sell those promises to the young palyers, and if we don't deliver on them when the time comes, it may very well come back to hurt us.

Thats not how it works. They are sent out to develop, not to perform. They are loaned out on the basis that "if you are good enough as a player when you come back, you'll play" - not "you did well for Millwall, here's your cookie".

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It was the 'He has earned his shot" part. If he goes out on loan then Potter and Ashworth don't think he has, yet. You also don't know what he has been asked, none of us do.

Well maybe I am misjudging that, but I think captaing the Ireland u21's, earning a full Ireland cap, on top of having a great season at Milwall is justification. And mayeb you're right, Potter and Ashworth don't think he's ready. But lets say next he has another great season, for Millwall and Ireland and Prem club coming knocking on the door. Can we expect him to be loyal and stay with us or will he want to go.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If he is pushing for the move I’d be a bit disappointed in him if I’m honest.

He is clearly in the managers plans for the 25 man squad and if Stephens goes he is a place closer to the first team.

Did he seriously expect to come back from a season loan at Millwall and be included in the 18 every week ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wonder if there will be a right-to-buy clause in the loan deal? Hope not - if we are going to sell him on (I'd rather see him at Brighton TBH) I'd hope for some decent bids, and ultimately a price Millwall probably can't pay.
Same goes for Clarke at Derby - both youngsters must feel they haven't made any progress from last season.

No way there will be an option to buy, no reason for that. I think its quite obvious the club believes in him in the long run.

Also "must feel they havent made any progress", why? Going on loan again doesnt mean they havent made any progress - it just means GP & DA thinks another year on loan would be good for them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well maybe I am misjudging that, but I think captaing the Ireland u21's, earning a full Ireland cap, on top of having a great season at Milwall is justification. And mayeb you're right, Potter and Ashworth don't think he's ready. But lets say next he has another great season, for Millwall and Ireland and Prem club coming knocking on the door. Can we expect him to be loyal and stay with us or will he want to go.

Lets be honest though, Ireland hardly have a wealth of talent. If Stephen Kenny hadn't have been promoted from U21s to First team manager I doubt Molumby would have been part of the first team.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
No way there will be an option to buy, no reason for that. I think its quite obvious the club believes in him in the long run.

Also "must feel they havent made any progress", why? Going on loan again doesnt mean they havent made any progress - it just means GP & DA thinks another year on loan would be good for them.

I’d question the last bit.

How do you know they want to loan him out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Loanees usually take a step up with each progressive loan. Molumby (if he goes back to Millwall) and Clarke haven't. The key words are going back to.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Its not. Getting a cap for Ireland or doing well in Millwall is not justification to play regularly for Brighton. Being a good enough player is the only way to get into the team.

I’d question the last bit.

How do you know they want to loan him out.

I dont, but if the rumours are correct.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Loanees usually take a step up with each progressive loan. Molumby (if he goes back to Millwall) and Clarke haven't. The key words are going back to.

So if they need to go on loan again, where would you loan them? I dont think TB, GP & DA would want to loan him to another PL side and sending players abroad is not very effective a lot of the times - different styles of football and Championship is a top 10 league in Europe, so quality would unlikely be much better. If you play well in League One, Championship is the logical step, but from the Championship the next step is not obvious. There are other ways to make progress though: developing as players and performing even better than last year, even if its the same league.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Its not. Getting a cap for Ireland or doing well in Millwall is not justification to play regularly for Brighton. Being a good enough player is the only way to get into the team.

I dont, but if the rumours are correct.

Missing the point

How do you know WE want him on loan .... from what he said during pre season it sounds like he has pushed for this

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I’ve seen the rumours.

What I’m questioning is the move behind the loan .... is it that we think he isn’t ready or judging on Molumby’s comments about wanting first team football is he the one pushing for a move.

I’m hoping it’s the former .... if it’s the latter then it’s disappointing he isn’t prepared to fight for a place when he would obviously be involved in and around the 18 during the season.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thats not how it works. They are sent out to develop, not to perform. They are loaned out on the basis that "if you are good enough as a player when you come back, you'll play" - not "you did well for Millwall, here's your cookie".

No they’re not. I doubt there is any tacit understanding that if you do well at Millwall you will play here at all. And they are sent to both develop and perform.

Development path is looking where a player is at, based on age and ability (the club can see big as yet unproven /unrealised potential) then it’s about putting the players somewhere on a ladder of quality/class, with handpicked clubs/coaches, that goes up from league 2 levels (home and abroad) up to our PL level match day squad.

The player is then there to learn from the experience, obviously to perform as well at that level and to move up that quality/class ladder, gaining more experience and performing well at each stage (see Ben White).

If they don’t, they won’t get near a match day squad here, that’s the ugly truth. Even if they do, coming back here is a good few rungs of the ladder higher than where they just were, have the showed enough to stay in preseason, can they can make that extra big jump? even if they can and are deemed good enough, within their position (DM in Molumbys case) there’s another smaller ladder he has to climb to get above Biss, Stephens and Propper, A good season at Millwall doesn’t promise him that.

It may well be the case the club have said, we think you’re good enough to stay with the squad (he’s made it to this level generally) but right now your 3 or 4 choice for that position and he doesn’t want to bench warm half a season and is then pushing to go and play.

Development path provides opportunity to gain valuable experience, perform and prove the talent the club believed you had, giving player opportunities to prove worth, that may result in higher pyramid loans, club selling you, you stalling at a level, or making it to first team squad where you must again compete to wear the shirt.

Doing well at Millwall doesn’t promise you first team PL football

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Missing the point

How do you know WE want him on loan .... from what he said during pre season it sounds like he has pushed for this

Ah, you mean like that. Yes quite possibly he is the one pushing for it. I could see GP & staff being open to have him in the squad and get some minutes here and there, but perhaps not to the extent that they would make him stay against his will. If he thinks 40+ games in the Championship is better for him than the occasional PL/cup game, then doing another year down there is the right thing.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I like the fact that he really wants to play - it shows he's hungry to progress and to prove himself.

Although I would love to see more of him in our 1st team this year, if GP & DA don't think he's quite at the level to get the minutes on the pitch he needs to keep developing, then sending him out on loan again is the right option.

The player is happy as he gets more game time (particularly important to him as he's just broken through for Ireland) and we have a returning player next season that is more mature, more ready to be a 1st team regular and very happy that the club has looked after him and considered his wishes.

Better that than keeping him in the squad but not being able to give him the game time he wants and needs because he's not quite ready.

Maybe another club in the championship would be ideal so he gets to experience new systems, coaching etc, but if the role for him & system at MIllwall fits in with his development plan and he enjoys it there, then why not?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm pretty sure GP wouldnt mind having Molumby in the squad, but he was quite outspoken a few weeks ago that he wants to play regularly or go on loan again. While getting some game time would have been likely, playing regularly wouldnt, so I'm not really surprised by this. I think he'll be ready to compete in a year, but for now Alzate, Bissouma, Pröpper and Lallana makes "playing regularly" unlikely.

If they are good enough, they play, as proven by White, Alzate and Connolly. Its very simple really.

This!

There were 4 players who have come up from the academy in the starting 11.
How does that give a message that we don't develop young players.
Also youngest average age startin 11 in our history in top division. ( I think I read that but can't find it now )

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

The only natural step up for either is to the premier league, even if a premier league club was interested we wouldn't want to strengthen a rival and that would also suggest that they are now ready to be in our matchday squad, week in week out.

Molumby is close imho, but not close enough that i would want him to replace Bissouma on Saturday against Manchester United. He was very good for Millwall last season but not one of the best few midfielders in the championship, thats the level you need to get to in order to attract interest from premier league clubs.

Another season in the championship will be good for him, Millwall is ideal as he is already familiar with the team, management and surroundings and that should help him to push on to not just being one of the best at Millwall but one of the best in the championship. At that point, he is ready to be in our matchday squad, he will still need to prove he's good enough to start. He's just not there yet.

The alternative is to stay, prove he is good enough through training and sporadic appearances off the bench, i'd say the loan is the better move for him. Also for those saying we dont develope our own youngsters (like Hayden Roberts dad) that is exactly what this is, if he never gets the chance with us, he at least knows he has a career at championship level at a minimum.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Big risk for him IF he is pushing for the move.

Could well land up pushing him further down the pecking list here when he returns.

I’d like to have seen him push for first team involvement here and if it hadn’t worked out maybe a loan in Jan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well maybe I am misjudging that, but I think captaing the Ireland u21's, earning a full Ireland cap, on top of having a great season at Milwall is justification. And maybe you're right, Potter and Ashworth don't think he's ready. But lets say next he has another great season, for Millwall and Ireland and Prem club coming knocking on the door. Can we expect him to be loyal and stay with us or will he want to go.

That "maybe" is doing a shit tonne of heavy lifting.

You could almost get a pass if CH was still in charge.
But come on have a look at what's happening to your team and then still tell us MAYBE Potter and Ashworth know what they are doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here