[Football] Gus Poyet Interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I very much enjoyed that interview. I have absolutely no idea what happened when he left but I don’t really care now. Those couple of seasons were almost perfect in a lot of ways and I thank Gus for being a big part of it. Absolute Legend in my opinion, whatever happened.

Good times tbf. But, he never really had a plan B did he? He's been found out at several clubs since.

Water under the bridge now, so I wish him all the best.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Peterborough and Charlton in that L1 season remain two of my favorite Albion away games.

Peterborough was unreal. Their goalkeeper conceded three but was man of the match because it could have been double figures without him.

On a slightly different subject, I thought the interviewers did a good job (apart from interrupting GP too often) but I was stunned when one of them said he was the first manager we'd had that they'd heard of. Micky Adams? Peter Taylor? Mark McGhee? They're not old enough to remember Mullery or Clough of course, but I hope they'd have been at least mildly impressed by them ...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Peterborough was unreal. Their goalkeeper conceded three but was man of the match because it could have been double figures without him.

On a slightly different subject, I thought the interviewers did a good job (apart from interrupting GP too often) but I was stunned when one of them said he was the first manager we'd had that they'd heard of. Micky Adams? Peter Taylor? Mark McGhee? They're not old enough to remember Mullery or Clough of course, but I hope they'd have been at least mildly impressed by them ...

That was my fault, poorly worded! What I was trying (badly!) to convey was that in my opinion he was the first ‘high profile’ name during my time following the club.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That was my fault, poorly worded! What I was trying (badly!) to convey what that in my opinion he was the first ‘high profile’ name during my time following the club.

Was Liam Brady before your time? I’d argue if not he was as high profile as Poyet.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Very much on the cusp. My first game was 1994, so don’t REALLY recall much of his tenure.

Peter Taylor had managed Leicester in the Premier League and England (for one match), giving Beckham the arm band for the first time. So I'd say he was high profile as a manager, and had represented England as a player.

But we quibble. Mainly I want to say congrats on the pod and a really good, wide-ranging interview.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
With Gus, the good will always greatly outweigh the bad in my mind.

The only manager we'd had, who I would hang on every word they said in an interview.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Peter Taylor had managed Leicester in the Premier League and England (for one match), giving Beckham the arm band for the first time. So I'd say he was high profile as a manager, and had represented England as a player.

But we quibble. Mainly I want to say congrats on the pod and a really good, wide-ranging interview.

It’s certainly a very fair challenge, and I probably rushed into the comparison a bit fast.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I’m glad that most people seem to have enjoyed it. Josh and I are very much amateurs, and fairly new to the interviewing game. The aim was to try to give people the chance to hear directly from Gus, and then make up their own minds.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton

I didnt go to the Charlton Game, but I thought that performance was certainly the greatest Albion away team performance I have ever seen, and possibly the best ever performance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You forget Ken Brown who was instantly dismissed before Paul Barber came in, and John Stephenson who made a mess of bringing new players on like Bergkamp.

I genuinely did remember Ken Brown and his senior role, deliberately leaving him out of my synopsis, because I felt that he didn’t have the gravitas and force of personality to challenge Poyet’s almost free rein in running so much of the club.

TB took management to another level and some, with the appointment of PB.

Imho.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I found it a really interesting listen and Poyet obviously thought that he was being undermined when Barber was appointed. Truth or paranoia, who knows?

What really pissed me off about Gus for his last year and a half here was his constant touting of himself at every opportunity. Every time we played a big club he made some reference as to how he could manage a team like that, even Arsenal FFS (as a Spurs man, when Wenger was nowhere near leaving, really?)

It was obvious to me that he thought Brighton was small time and having served his apprenticeship he should be moving to a bigger club and it clearly galled him that the offers weren’t coming in. Did a great job here until his ego finally ran away with him.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I found it a really interesting listen and Poyet obviously thought that he was being undermined when Barber was appointed. Truth or paranoia, who knows?

What really pissed me off about Gus for his last year and a half here was his constant touting of himself at every opportunity. Every time we played a big club he made some reference as to how he could manage a team like that, even Arsenal FFS (as a Spurs man, when Wenger was nowhere near leaving, really?)

It was obvious to me that he thought Brighton was small time and having served his apprenticeship he should be moving to a bigger club and it clearly galled him that the offers weren’t coming in. Did a great job here until his ego finally ran away with him.

I certainly found it interesting that he made several references to needing achieve specific things as individual in order to become a PL manager.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but one thing I was wondering, and I don't know if Poyet mentions this, but he would have been assistant manager during Paul Barbers time at Spurs (Barber worked closely with Levy to bring in 'Arry after Ramos was sacked). I wonder if there wasn't already some sort of breakdown of their relationship due to what happened at Spurs? Poyet would never have been happy answering to Barber if he in some way blamed him for his sacking at Spurs.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I thought it was a fantastic interview, and a real coup to get him for the podcast.

I was actually very impressed and surprised by the fact that Gus, having had time to reflect, admitted some culpability as to what went on. I assumed he would be quite egotistical about it and stick to his guns.

One thing that would have been good for him to be challenged on was the whole being sacked live on MOTD sh1t that he pulled, and whether he had any regrets about that.

Overall, great interview though, and a great listen to a very passionate and charismatic man who I would love to still be our manager today.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I've said this before on the "ceiling" comments. It's all well and good with the benefit seeing how we've grown to slate him for that but, at that time, I don't think it was unreasonable.

- We were very focused on aligning with FFP
- Our signings the following season and the one after showed that belts were very much tightened
- All transfer dealings were essentially run by David Burke and the infamous transfer committee
- We got worse under Garcia and then even worse under Hyypia as a result of the above.

It was only two years after he left that we sacked Burke and started spending some money on proper players (pretty much everyone we signed under Hyypia and the committee was awful - the first "manager" signing was Kayal). So again I don't think it unreasonable for Poyet to think that the club had plateaued for the foreseeable future.

He'd gone from complete control to having to accept budget signings from above.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but one thing I was wondering, and I don't know if Poyet mentions this, but he would have been assistant manager during Paul Barbers time at Spurs (Barber worked closely with Levy to bring in 'Arry after Ramos was sacked). I wonder if there wasn't already some sort of breakdown of their relationship due to what happened at Spurs? Poyet would never have been happy answering to Barber if he in some way blamed him for his sacking at Spurs.

As far as I remember he didn’t mention names just that lies were being put out about him and he was being undermined in his latter days amongst other things so he never referenced things that had gone on at Spurs. In fairness I did fast forward to the end about half way through, so maybe he did :shrug:

I will have another listen but I’d be interested to know the reason he said words to the effect “this would be a good time to leave a club” after the St Patrick’s day massacre.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've said this before on the "ceiling" comments. It's all well and good with the benefit seeing how we've grown to slate him for that but, at that time, I don't think it was unreasonable.

- We were very focused on aligning with FFP
- Our signings the following season and the one after showed that belts were very much tightened
- All transfer dealings were essentially run by David Burke and the infamous transfer committee
- We got worse under Garcia and then even worse under Hyypia as a result of the above.

It was only two years after he left that we sacked Burke and started spending some money on proper players (pretty much everyone we signed under Hyypia and the committee was awful - the first "manager" signing was Kayal). So again I don't think it unreasonable for Poyet to think that the club had plateaued for the foreseeable future.

He'd gone from complete control to having to accept budget signings from above.

Can’t argue with the fact that we had a dreadful transfer windows for a couple of seasons after he left. Chris O’Grady as the Ulloa replacement being the worst transfer out and in, although we did get crazy money for Ulloa.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
On a slightly different twist, I thought I'd check out what happened to his son Diego, who was tipped for big things.

It appears he has retired recently (he's about 24 years old), with his most recent club being a Cypriot one. It looks like he's been spending his 'retirement' in the gym!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports