Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet Interview

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I feel like you bottled the Vicente chat a little bit, knowing what he's said since leaving the club. I understand why though, Gus was on good form and you don't want to risk upsetting him and getting less from him overall. It's so good listening to Gus again, his passion and his excitement to talk about football.

I'd have him back if it doesn't work out with Potter. I think he's realised the errors of his ways when he was here. He's a different man now.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I feel like you bottled the Vicente chat a little bit, knowing what he's said since leaving the club. I understand why though, Gus was on good form and you don't want to risk upsetting him and getting less from him overall. It's so good listening to Gus again, his passion and his excitement to talk about football.

I'd have him back if it doesn't work out with Potter. I think he's realised the errors of his ways when he was here. He's a different man now.

We did think about specifically referencing the Vicente quote from after he’d left but we didn’t want to potentially jeopardise the chance to ask the more uncomfortable questions around the sacking etc.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Yes, he did. Talks fairly specifically about the respective offers Muzza received from us and Palace.

I heard there was a £2k a week shortfall in our offer YEARS AGO. But these can be Chinese whispers. I thought TB had just funded the stadium and needed cash to build his new syndicate. Does this fit?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I heard there was a £2k a week shortfall in our offer YEARS AGO. But these can be Chinese whispers. I thought TB had just funded the stadium and needed cash to build his new syndicate. Does this fit?

Unsure. All Gus said was that we could only go to 60% of what Palace has offered.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Needless to say this podcast episode has exploded. What surprises me (and Gus) is that it was SEVEN years and we were the first to get in touch, not Owen at The Argus, Naylor didn't even go this route when he moved to The Athletic. I have spoke with the club a few times about interviews and nothing was ever mentioned. Is this something the local media gurus has been warned off or did people just think it was too long ago to bother? Maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will have some thoughts on that given he has some inroads with the Albion?

Surely neither Owen nor Naylor would risk their access at the club by doing an interview with Poyet if there's even a hint of disapproval from the top.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Surely neither Owen nor Naylor would risk their access at the club by doing an interview with Poyet if there's even a hint of disapproval from the top.

You'd have thought that with the passage of time, things might have mellowed slightly. With the 10 year anniversary of the title season approaching, it will be interesting to see if it is marked by the club or the local media in some way.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just a quick comment to say well done on the interview. I thought it was fantastic. Struck the perfect balance between trying to ask the difficult questions, giving Gus the opportunity to speak openly but also getting across the fact that, as fans, those years were simply fantastic and so exciting in terms of a complete change of direction in playing style.

Very interesting regarding Reading.

What I found FASCINATING was Gus remembering the smallest details about certain games and tactics used. When you consider how long ago this was, the amount of clubs he has had since and the fact that we were (lets be honest), just a job to him, it's amazing to hear how he could remember exact player injuries for example.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Superb interview. His memory of individual matches from his time at the Albion is astounding. Well done chaps, essentially listening, regardless of whether you are in the pro or anti Gus club.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Just a quick comment to say well done on the interview. I thought it was fantastic. Struck the perfect balance between trying to ask the difficult questions, giving Gus the opportunity to speak openly but also getting across the fact that, as fans, those years were simply fantastic and so exciting in terms of a complete change of direction in playing style.

Very interesting regarding Reading.

What I found FASCINATING was Gus remembering the smallest details about certain games and tactics used. When you consider how long ago this was, the amount of clubs he has had since and the fact that we were (lets be honest), just a job to him, it's amazing to hear how he could remember exact player injuries for example.

Superb interview. His memory of individual matches from his time at the Albion is astounding. Well done chaps, essentially listening, regardless of whether you are in the pro or anti Gus club.

Thanks, chaps. The specific memories, in huge amounts of detail, really stood out to me too. It's amazing really. I can barely remember in detail what I did yesterday.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We played some great football under Gus but I'll never forget travelling to Bristol on a Tuesday night to watch a 0-0 draw, where we had 0 shots on or off target..

To be fair, there's been a few away games in the EPL under Hughton where we watched zero attempts on goal!! Advantage was we were watching in better stadia!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've listened to the whole interview now. A few things that weren't mentioned.

Firstly, wasn't it reported that the day before the st patrick's day massacre he had rung Bloom to say he wanted to leave?

I don't think he said in the interview that he actually wanted Murray to stay. My impression is that we were already after CMS, which I assume was Poyet's choice and we couldn't afford both.

With the Reading situation, surely the club are morally obliged to report any interest from other clubs?

He speaks well of Vicente but from previous reports, that feeling isn't mutual.

I enjoyed listening to the interview but overall my impression of him hasn't changed in that I think his arrogance means he is unable to recognise his own failings, as his subsequent career would seem to reflect.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We did think about specifically referencing the Vicente quote from after he’d left but we didn’t want to potentially jeopardise the chance to ask the more uncomfortable questions around the sacking etc.

I completely understand and I agree - you made the right decision. It was such a positive and upbeat chat, it would have been a shame to have spoilt the rapport. Gus is such a charistmatic guy, but you both did very well in the interview to keep him talking and on topic. Really good chat Gents, well played. I'm going to get stuck into the previous 80!

I think the discussion about his sacking was interesting. He said pretty much what I felt at the time, he had assumed a lot of power during his reign as Manager. He wasn't a Head Coach, he was a Manager. When you then change the structure of the club, which I think a lot of people would agree needed to happen, it's always going to put the nose of the Manager out of joint. It's a shame it wasn't better managed because if Gus had been included in the development of the infrastructure and had a better relationship with he who shall not be named (we'll call him Agent Mustard!), maybe he'd still be here now having built a top Premier League team. I'm not anti-Agent Mustard at all - we needed to become more professional behind the scenes and the infrastructure of the club needed to improve. We went from being amateur off the pitch (no disrespect to anyone involved before Bloom came in as Chairman and sorted out the stadium and training ground) to very quickly becoming an established Championship club with the potential to improve, as we have.

Gus was the perfect man in League 1 and to establish us in the Championship. The clash behind the scenes is a shame and we'll never know the full truth, but it doesn't matter. It's history. I hope the club will listen to the interview, reach out to Gus and make peace. He was amazing for us, we were ideal for him and things went sour at the end but enough time has passed now. Gus is a huge part of our history.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

He is been car crash ever since leaving us. It would be a very big backward step.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I completely understand and I agree - you made the right decision. It was such a positive and upbeat chat, it would have been a shame to have spoilt the rapport. Gus is such a charistmatic guy, but you both did very well in the interview to keep him talking and on topic. Really good chat Gents, well played. I'm going to get stuck into the previous 80!

I think the discussion about his sacking was interesting. He said pretty much what I felt at the time, he had assumed a lot of power during his reign as Manager. He wasn't a Head Coach, he was a Manager. When you then change the structure of the club, which I think a lot of people would agree needed to happen, it's always going to put the nose of the Manager out of joint. It's a shame it wasn't better managed because if Gus had been included in the development of the infrastructure and had a better relationship with he who shall not be named (we'll call him Agent Mustard!), maybe he'd still be here now having built a top Premier League team. I'm not anti-Agent Mustard at all - we needed to become more professional behind the scenes and the infrastructure of the club needed to improve. We went from being amateur off the pitch (no disrespect to anyone involved before Bloom came in as Chairman and sorted out the stadium and training ground) to very quickly becoming an established Championship club with the potential to improve, as we have.

Gus was the perfect man in League 1 and to establish us in the Championship. The clash behind the scenes is a shame and we'll never know the full truth, but it doesn't matter. It's history. I hope the club will listen to the interview, reach out to Gus and make peace. He was amazing for us, we were ideal for him and things went sour at the end but enough time has passed now. Gus is a huge part of our history.

Very good summary indeed. Those are my feelings completely as well. I understand the ill-feeling and legal complexities that arose from the gross misconduct stuff, but I do hope there will be a degree of reconciliation at some point, because it would be a shame not to acknowledge/celebrate the period that, in my view, really set us on the way to the Premier League.

Thanks for listening, and really glad you enjoyed it. In terms of next episodes to listen to, I'd steer you in the direction of the Bruno or Andrew Crofts interviews.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Good typical Poyat interview. As he said many times honest and never wrong. Fact is he did something that club and legal advisers considered justifying gross misconduct. We will never know but would not be because he had to much power. I have seen his coments after his failures since and none were his fault

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great Interview. They were great times, but it was only ever going to end one way. It was interesting to hear GP say that the Murray was a simple salary deal, and I can believe that, because I know that we have always been 'careful' on wage structures across the club.

I think that from the moment TB decided he needed a Chief Exec, it was only a matter of time before the toys were coming out the pram.

I love the way he was upset that no one has invited him back. Coincidentally, I've never been out for a beer with anyone I sacked on a Gross Disciplinary either :lolol:

Muzza’s pay - Poyet’s story has never stacked up (he blamed the club for this again in 2013 in an Argus interview).

Muzza was on £3,250 pw in League One, he sought £6,000 for the Championship, Poyet didn’t think he warranted that.

At the very same time we signed Buckley, CMS and Vicente on 5 figures a week. To benchmark, CP were already paying Ambrose and Speroni £11k a week according to their fora at the time.

Blinkered thinking by Poyet and boy it cost us.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
To be fair, there's been a few away games in the EPL under Hughton where we watched zero attempts on goal!! Advantage was we were watching in better stadia!!

Hughtons football in the Premier league was generally boring but we ground out results. Gus's football was brilliant, until a team could counter us, then it became dire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here