Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet Interview

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At a conservative estimate, CMS would have come in on about triple Murray’s salary at the time. The money was absolutely there to keep Glenn, if the will had been there.

Spot on.

Plus Buckley and Vicente were signed on big money.

Poyet didn’t think goal machine Muzza deserved a huge pay rise from his League One £3,750 a week.

Well done Poyet. Palace’s gain.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on.

Plus Buckley and Vicente were signed on big money.

Poyet didn’t think goal machine Muzza deserved a huge pay rise from his League One £3,750 a week.

Well done Poyet. Palace’s gain.

The club offered £8K but Palace gave him £12K.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The club had a wage cap. Palace have always paid higher wages than us.

I do think that most who were on board 'the Gus Bus', which I remember as the vast majority, thought CMS at that fee and a salary beyond what Glenn was asking, was a good deal. I wonder if there may be the slightest bit of revisionism here ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do think that most who were on board 'the Gus Bus', which I remember as the vast majority, thought CMS at that fee and a salary beyond what Glenn was asking, was a good deal. I wonder if there may be the slightest bit of revisionism here ???

Not me, not been as gutted that we let a player go in the 40 odd years I have followed the Albion. Can’t be arsed to go back and find the threads but my opinion has been the same since Gus decided he didn’t much like Glenn’s dour attitude. It was a massive **** up.

Most of NSC worshipped Gus and those of us that didn’t like his perpetual touting of himself in his last few months were labelled “needy”

Turning point to the impending hissy fit and meltdown was the “Now would be a good time to leave” comments IMMEDIATELY after the St Patrick’s Day massacre. The twunt.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not from me.

Muzza was and is my favourite player in 45 years of support. Adored him at Withdean. I had the gumption to ask him to stay at the Easter 2011 fans day.

Won’t find me downplaying his 2011 exit or getting over excited about the performances of the Peterborough shuttle sprinter.

Madness. A brilliant striker and natural footballer simply wanted a Championship wage. Spiteful Gus dicked about with Bloom’s money, what a gaff of monumental proportions. Simply do the maths.

Another reason why I liked the arrival of experienced Paul Barber … it reined in the de facto power of Poyet and he didn’t like it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, I was told the info by a previous club employee at Notts County before kick off, at the end of the season. I have consistently said the same thing for ten years. Obviously at that point I didn’t know he was going to sign for Palace, but I knew he wasn’t going to sign for us.

It's always been a shame that the relationship between Gus and the club soured to the extent it did as it tarnishes what was a great period for us. We should be thankful for that League One winning season, when as the song goes, we were ****ing brilliant. On the whole he delievered a couple of decent seasons when we first moved to the Amex, surely no one expected us to get to the playoffs that quickly (I know the team didn't as they forgot to turn up), and we were no where ready for the Premier League at that time either. Sure the team had its faults, as did Gus but I thoroughly enjoyed those 3 and a bit seasons he was in-charge of us.

I'll be listening but will take everything Gus says with a massive touch of salt. Ultimately I don't think Gus is quite as good as he thinks he is as a manager and that is hard for him to admit, but eees complicated no?

I completely agree. He's a club legend for me. Without him, we wouldn't be where we are now. Simple as that, he started this journey. I bloody love the guy. Always welcome back to Brighton for me. I like honest outspoken people, he's a character and a great manager, for us anyway. Didn't always agree with what he said be he was bloody funny sometimes.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
At a conservative estimate, CMS would have come in on about triple Murray’s salary at the time. The money was absolutely there to keep Glenn, if the will had been there.
CMS signing was a huge coup for the club, and he started well enough, he just faded after his Achilles injury away to Bristol City I think it was.... money well spent at the time, we were really on the up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh l'm not so sure, things have never really worked out for Gus since his dismissal, and l've a feeling he now realises how good things were for him at the Albion, so yes l do think that he cares.

Agree but when two big egos clash, the organ grinder is always going to be the winner.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agree but when two big egos clash, the organ grinder is always going to be the winner.

Absolutely, and getting into that war of words didn't help his cause either. He allegedly wants to return to the Premier League though, so being seen at the Albion again, and getting his name into print will help his cause. After all, any publicity is good publicity. He needs to get his name out there and be noticed again.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Great bits from Gus about the Albion on the Amazon Prime match previews. Clearly has love for us still. When talking about the Palace V Leeds match- says 'I can't talk about Palace I'm Brighton!". also said some nice words about us on our preview match with West Spam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here