Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet Interview

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
those early amex years were the best. Novelty of having massive sessions at the amex. New stadium and everyone buzzing and enjoying the rid.

Peak years for me

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Peak years for me

Nah not for me, I hope those days are still too come.

For me there's been far to much (necessary) attrition in with the highlights.

I hope GPott can get us over the 'backs against the wall' mindset & I really hope Connolly and Maupay are able to regularly 'Spurs' games.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not quite the scoop I thought it was going to be, but I can see ees compillicaaateed

Biggest indicator for me is he's not heard from ANYONE at the club, that, to me, demonstrates the players feel the club were in the right, or rather, he wasn't.

The same players arent really at the club anymore are they. Maybe just dunk and solly? It was a long time ago in football terms. Ive listened to two of the podcasts so far. Both ex-albion players said how much they liked him and im sure barnes said he spoke to him. I

I wouldnt expect anyone on the board who sacked him to speak to him....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Listened to half so far (second half tomorrow when I walk the dog again). Pretty much as I expected. I'm not sure, judging from what he says, that he's seen some of the comments about him by Vicente!

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
The same players arent really at the club anymore are they. Maybe just dunk and solly? It was a long time ago in football terms. Ive listened to two of the podcasts so far. Both ex-albion players said how much they liked him and im sure barnes said he spoke to him. I

I wouldnt expect anyone on the board who sacked him to speak to him....

Garry Dicker was singing his praises in a recent interview.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nah not for me, I hope those days are still too come.

For me there's been far to much (necessary) attrition in with the highlights.

I hope GPott can get us over the 'backs against the wall' mindset & I really hope Connolly and Maupay are able to regularly 'Spurs' games.

That's an excellent point, it's as if we either don't feel we belong or fighting for our lives is in our DNA, we've got to get more belief and allow ourselves to play free flowing football without fear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
those early amex years were the best. Novelty of having massive sessions at the amex. New stadium and everyone buzzing and enjoying the rid.

Peak years for me

Not for me, the passing around the back whilst opponents smoked cigars, was often as dull as dishwater. In the first two seasons we failed to win more than half of our home matches. Vicente, Buckley and Orlandi were classy to watch, but all too infrequent.

I spent much of the time admiring the amazing new stadium.

CH’s two full Championship seasons were the pinnacle for me - 32 home wins from 46, 86 goals scored, just 32 conceded. Cricket scores against Leeds, QPR and Fulham, then Norwich, outclassing Derby, breaking the hearts of dirty Massive.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
great listen.

Very intersting.

Certainly dont think its Bloom that has the issue from that.

Prob best not put what I suspect on here.

Cheers for that

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very interesting interview. Poyet basically saying he was manoeuvred out of the club by the new arrival because Poyet had too much control? Sounds likely to me given Poyet’s high praise of TB

I forget the time lines but did said person’s arrival coincide with Poyet starting to throw toys out of the pram?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Progressive, professional coach full of ideas who improved many of our players (just listen to the excellent Albion and Me podcasts involving Elphick, Barnes and Dicker who all speak highly of him).

Unfortunately a diva almost impossible to manage from a boardroom perspective, tantrums, toys out of the pram and made Tano and Charlie look like the moderate ones in the coaching team.

If you’re in a senior position in any job there must be confidence and trust, and with Gus that was lacking too often.

He was the managerial equivalent in the dugout of Leon Knight on the pitch, loads of ability, some memories for us that will last for many years, a career that should have had far more high points, but which ultimately fizzled out too quickly due to a self destructive streak and it was always someone else’s fault in his mind.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
great listen.

Very intersting.

Certainly dont think its Bloom that has the issue from that.

Prob best not put what I suspect on here.

Cheers for that

Yeah, I thought the inference was fairly clear and would be picked up on. For obvious reasons, I didn’t want to comment or push it further really!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very interesting interview. Poyet basically saying he was manoeuvred out of the club by the new arrival because Poyet had too much control? Sounds likely to me given Poyet’s high praise of TB

I forget the time lines but did said person’s arrival coincide with Poyet starting to throw toys out of the pram?

I always thought that the arrival of PB signalled the end of 'things' that weren't right.

I could be wrong on the timing, but in summer 2012 PB managed to get the club out of an onerous contract with the first and awful Amex caterers.

It seemed to me that because TB spent much of the year out of the country, he'd given a great deal of power to Poyet on all matters football, including completely trusting Poyet's judgement on players that weren't deserving of a good contract (Muzza) and all new recruits. Yet GP had politicked through the media against his imho generous employer. In essence Poyet had an Alex Ferguson-esque all powerful club manager role, but without his acumen.

Then the penny dropped for TB and PB was appointed to oversea all facets 52 weeks of the year. Poyet didn't like being reportable to a hands on CEO of Barber's quality.

I'm just surmising, but that's my take as a supporter.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

Peak years for me

We played some great football under Gus but I'll never forget travelling to Bristol on a Tuesday night to watch a 0-0 draw, where we had 0 shots on or off target..

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting but Didnt agree with his version of Reading situation. Unless I misunderstood In his words Brighton informed him Reading had made an approach. and he responded by saying If can agree compensation. With Poyet would think he lapped up the attention I would think any club is obligated to inform any player or manager if another club interested.and would imagine if Potter was told Norwich wanted him he would just laugh.
May be wrong but think he was dismissed for gross misconduct. Poyet never went through with an appeal which am sure would have been funded by managers union. He has failed since in several jobs and dont think it helps he considers he is always right.
Despite the above agree promotion year from Div 1 was so good.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We played some great football under Gus but I'll never forget travelling to Bristol on a Tuesday night to watch a 0-0 draw, where we had 0 shots on or off target..

Playing on a ploughed field where our striker bust his Achilles’ tendon, and the other taken sick just before kickoff, but it’s all the manger’s fault, of course.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I very much enjoyed that interview. I have absolutely no idea what happened when he left but I don’t really care now. Those couple of seasons were almost perfect in a lot of ways and I thank Gus for being a big part of it. Absolute Legend in my opinion, whatever happened.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I very much enjoyed that interview. I have absolutely no idea what happened when he left but I don’t really care now. Those couple of seasons were almost perfect in a lot of ways and I thank Gus for being a big part of it. Absolute Legend in my opinion, whatever happened.

So telling the squad In the dressing room before the second leg against Palace, he thought he had taken us as far he could, and Brighton had reached their maximum level, oh and he might not be here at the start of the season.... off you go lads, let’s win.....

Is excusable “whatever happened”

Sorry, we have had many previous good seasons and teams, we had a good squad when he arrived, and was given money to build, countless managers could have achieved the same.

Arrogant shite, sullied memories I’m afraid....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So telling the squad In the dressing room before the second leg against Palace, he thought he had taken us as far he could, and Brighton had reached their maximum level, oh and he might not be here at the start of the season.... off you go lads, let’s win.....

Is excusable “whatever happened”

Sorry, we have had many previous good seasons and teams, we had a good squad when he arrived, and was given money to build, countless managers could have achieved the same.

Arrogant shite, sullied memories I’m afraid....

We were in the relegation zone in league one when he arrived. A good squad that Russel Slade couldn’t win a game with?
He saved us from relegation, and 18 months later got us promoted with a record number of points, and broke the club record for consecutive games at the top of the league.
Once in the Championship we got in the playoffs. His budget wasnt as much as Chris had.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We were in the relegation zone in league one when he arrived. A good squad that Russel Slade couldn’t win a game with?
He saved us from relegation, and 18 months later got us promoted with a record number of points, and broke the club record for consecutive games at the top of the league.
Once in the Championship we got in the playoffs. His budget wasnt as much as Chris had.

Yes, we were under achieving, look at the squad we had, against Southampton away his first game 1-3, yes he he did a good job, and was a good manager, but look what we had, He made some very poor decisions later, his ego rode roughshod over what was better for the Albion, and to me that was unforgivable. I am sorry I just won’t forgive him.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Really interesting interview. Felt as though he had a lot of affection for TB enjoyed working with him and still holds the club very dear. I loved the way he spoke about the players - it came across he really cared for him. He admitted that he had too much of a say over things and it seemed to me he knows now he couldn’t keep it (nor should have had it?) but that’s a big change for most to accept. I’m so disappointed it ended the way it did and he does try to explain the ceiling comment but that interview after the game was poor judgment just when the fans needed positivity.

He has gone up in my estimation - maybe time heals?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here