Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet Interview

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good interview. It was great to hear 'the radio' with his batteries charged and his enthusiasm for the project he took on and the players, many of which he got much more out of than we could have hoped.

Whatever his faults and mistakes, there's no denying he was a huge part of the progress we've made as a modern club with playing style to match.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Pedantic note to interviewers.
You said you were surprised by the team selection and formation against Charlton away, especially after the way we performed in the Peterborough away game, but Charlton away was before Peterborough away.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
You are correct. Robin got it right, then Josh got it back to front. I suspect both Robin and Gus spotted this error, but rather than confront it they just wantEd to talk about the quality of football. Gus even went along with Josh’s incorrect order of events, probably such is his media training and desire not to confront the interviewer.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Pedantic note to interviewers.
You said you were surprised by the team selection and formation against Charlton away, especially after the way we performed in the Peterborough away game, but Charlton away was before Peterborough away.

Fair observation. As [MENTION=3743]seagullwedgee[/MENTION] says above, initially it was in the correct order and then seemed to get flipped around. Ah well, I suppose memories can slip a bit after a few years!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Has TB ever been the same again regarding transfers since GP? I did hear we had shipped out Knocky, Locadia, Andone on loan to free up wages for two new forwards to come in, which obviously didn’t happen as both deals collapsed financially.

Again in January deals collapsed for a striker, if we go down it will be our own fault.

One championship striker, an ageing Murray and young prospect from the development squad is pathetic for three seasons in the PL. And to top things off Barber goes on talksport saying the clubs ambition is top ten :facepalm:

I said in the summer our signings look like we are preparing for the championship not pushing on in the PL.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Progressive, professional coach full of ideas who improved many of our players (just listen to the excellent Albion and Me podcasts involving Elphick, Barnes and Dicker who all speak highly of him).

Unfortunately a diva almost impossible to manage from a boardroom perspective, tantrums, toys out of the pram and made Tano and Charlie look like the moderate ones in the coaching team.

If you’re in a senior position in any job there must be confidence and trust, and with Gus that was lacking too often.

He was the managerial equivalent in the dugout of Leon Knight on the pitch, loads of ability, some memories for us that will last for many years, a career that should have had far more high points, but which ultimately fizzled out too quickly due to a self destructive streak and it was always someone else’s fault in his mind.

Yes, but look how his career has gone from strength to strength after he left us.

Oh.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I always thought that the arrival of PB signalled the end of 'things' that weren't right.

I could be wrong on the timing, but in summer 2012 PB managed to get the club out of an onerous contract with the first and awful Amex caterers.

It seemed to me that because TB spent much of the year out of the country, he'd given a great deal of power to Poyet on all matters football, including completely trusting Poyet's judgement on players that weren't deserving of a good contract (Muzza) and all new recruits. Yet GP had politicked through the media against his imho generous employer. In essence Poyet had an Alex Ferguson-esque all powerful club manager role, but without his acumen.

Then the penny dropped for TB and PB was appointed to oversea all facets 52 weeks of the year. Poyet didn't like being reportable to a hands on CEO of Barber's quality.

I'm just surmising, but that's my take as a supporter.

I think that was when TB the professional, let TB the supporter have too much say.

He recognised it, and went and got PB to ensure it didn't happen again, and the rest is history :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, we were under achieving, look at the squad we had, against Southampton away his first game 1-3, yes he he did a good job, and was a good manager, but look what we had, He made some very poor decisions later, his ego rode roughshod over what was better for the Albion, and to me that was unforgivable. I am sorry I just won’t forgive him.

So, just say you didn’t like him, rather than rewriting history.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I always thought that the arrival of PB signalled the end of 'things' that weren't right.

I could be wrong on the timing, but in summer 2012 PB managed to get the club out of an onerous contract with the first and awful Amex caterers.

It seemed to me that because TB spent much of the year out of the country, he'd given a great deal of power to Poyet on all matters football, including completely trusting Poyet's judgement on players that weren't deserving of a good contract (Muzza) and all new recruits. Yet GP had politicked through the media against his imho generous employer. In essence Poyet had an Alex Ferguson-esque all powerful club manager role, but without his acumen.

Then the penny dropped for TB and PB was appointed to oversea all facets 52 weeks of the year. Poyet didn't like being reportable to a hands on CEO of Barber's quality.

You forget Ken Brown who was instantly dismissed before Paul Barber came in, and John Stephenson who made a mess of bringing new players on like Bergkamp.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So, just say you didn’t like him, rather than rewriting history.

Am I ?

Really, so
1: He did not tell the team he might not be here at the start of the next season, on the eve of a crucial game ?
2: He did not turn up late for the play off second leg ?
3: He did not say we had a ceiling and gone as far as we could ?
4: He treated certain players with a lack of respect ?
5: He did not constantly court other clubs ?

I must have imagined all of those things, and made them all up.

Yes I have said he was a good manager, but not the best and we already had a good squad, he ruined it all.

His defence of Luis Suarez in the racism row was embarrassing

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/17/gus-poyet-luis-suarez-racism

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ty-we-go-to-war-with-them-and-at-6267587.html

he is an idiot, and does not know when he is on to a good thing.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Started to listen but didn't last the distance. Overwhelming, I think it's all ancient history now. I still think he could and should have gone onto great things, but he can't pass the "no bellend" policy most Clubs now have.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Am I ?

Really, so
1: He did not tell the team he might not be here at the start of the next season, on the eve of a crucial game ?
2: He did not turn up late for the play off second leg ?
3: He did not say we had a ceiling and gone as far as we could ?
4: He treated certain players with a lack of respect ?
5: He did not constantly court other clubs ?

I must have imagined all of those things, and made them all up.

Yes I have said he was a good manager, but not the best and we already had a good squad, he ruined it all.

His defence of Luis Suarez in the racism row was embarrassing

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/17/gus-poyet-luis-suarez-racism

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ty-we-go-to-war-with-them-and-at-6267587.html

he is an idiot, and does not know when he is on to a good thing.

You still insist we had a good squad when Slade had to have a miraculous relegation battle following Adams.
The same good squad who had us in the relegation zone by November.
Recent interviews show that the players thought the world of him.

I don’t dispute he had flaws but then so does everyone.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You still insist we had a good squad when Slade had to have a miraculous relegation battle following Adams.
The same good squad who had us in the relegation zone by November.
Recent interviews show that the players thought the world of him.

I don’t dispute he had flaws but then so does everyone.

Slade was a busted flush, in the same way Steve Gritt was after our miracle survival.
It happens.
Players can think the world of him, and that can calvanise the squad granted, however that same love can be divisive, and I feel when he flipped out when he did, the players were then confused, possibly divided loyalties as to his and their futures,
I feel he did it deliberately against the club, as a feck you, HE cost us that game.

To me he passed the line, and I can't and won't forgive him.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I've come to see GP's contribution in light of what happened to all other successful Albion managers in the 50 years I've been watching. Essentially, it either all went tits up, or they were poached by a club with more money. Sometimes both (cough...Mickey Adams).

Pat Saward - relegation then sacked
Alan Mullery - true legend but awful 2nd spell
Mike Bailey - safety first, lost an unappreciative crowd
Barry Lloyd - promotion, playoffs but then relegation
Steve Gritt - impossible odds at Gillingham
Mickey Adams - poached then poor return
Peter Taylor - poached
Mark McGhee - did as good a job as possible in circumstances
Russell Slade - Great Escape but couldn't consolidate
Gus Poyet - modernised playing style, took us to next level, promotion, playoffs, lost the plot, banged his head
Chris Hughton - amazing job, fantastic human being but ultimately couldn't keep taking us forward

It's the nature of the job.

These were the winners and Gus did just about as well as any IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've come to see GP's contribution in light of what happened to all other successful Albion managers in the 50 years I've been watching. Essentially, it either all went tits up, or they were poached by a club with more money. Sometimes both (cough...Mickey Adams).

Pat Saward - relegation then sacked
Alan Mullery - true legend but awful 2nd spell
Mike Bailey - safety first, lost an unappreciative crowd
Barry Lloyd - promotion, playoffs but then relegation
Steve Gritt - impossible odds at Gillingham
Mickey Adams - poached then poor return
Peter Taylor - poached
Mark McGhee - did as good a job as possible in circumstances
Russell Slade - Great Escape but couldn't consolidate
Gus Poyet - modernised playing style, took us to next level, promotion, playoffs, lost the plot, banged his head
Chris Hughton - amazing job, fantastic human being but ultimately couldn't keep taking us forward

It's the nature of the job.

These were the winners and Gus did just about as well as any IMHO.

It was Steve Copell who was poached. Peter Taylor just walked out saying there wasn’t enough money for the Championship.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

I don't think it was the quality of PB but his identity. Aren't they supposed to have had serious personality clash at Tottenham?

I once worked at a local company where the bosses promoted someone everyone disliked over several heads (including mine) to a managerial position. We all assumed it was a calculated attempt to force resignations. I spoke to one of the bosses later and found out that they'd thought the bloke they promoted was immensely popular and just got it completely wrong. Cock-up rather than conspiracy, as usual.

So I wonder whether TB brought in Barber without knowing the effect that appointment would (allegedly) have on GP?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Playing on a ploughed field where our striker bust his Achilles’ tendon, and the other taken sick just before kickoff, but it’s all the manger’s fault, of course.

Yes we had injuries and we were playing on a sh*t surface but a more flexible manager would see that and adjust tactics, not Gus. This wasn't the only game where his arrogance OR inability to change tactics became obvious,this was just the one that will always stand out in my memory.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Interesting but Didnt agree with his version of Reading situation. Unless I misunderstood In his words Brighton informed him Reading had made an approach. and he responded by saying If can agree compensation. With Poyet would think he lapped up the attention I would think any club is obligated to inform any player or manager if another club interested.and would imagine if Potter was told Norwich wanted him he would just laugh.
May be wrong but think he was dismissed for gross misconduct. Poyet never went through with an appeal which am sure would have been funded by managers union. He has failed since in several jobs and dont think it helps he considers he is always right.
Despite the above agree promotion year from Div 1 was so good.

I believe Sunderland weren't keen for him to be distracted by a legal dispute when he was supposed to be concentrating on keeping them up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here