Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Facundo Buonanotte - SIGNED for 1.8 billion pesos

Jimmy Grimble

After Solly’s injury, the door is wide open for Buonanotte to stake a claim in the side as the only other left-footed attacker.

He hasn’t looked great on the wing so far but hopefully he can provide an alternative to Adingra on the right as I think RDZ wants to use Fati centrally.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
After Solly’s injury, the door is wide open for Buonanotte to stake a claim in the side as the only other left-footed attacker.

He hasn’t looked great on the wing so far but hopefully he can provide an alternative to Adingra on the right as I think RDZ wants to use Fati centrally.
Was all set to be shipped out on loan this season for a reason

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Solly's injury has left us with more of a problem in defence than attack - and I'm not sure defence is Buonanotte's strong point. I think we might have to do a bit of serious shopping in January.

Jimmy Grimble

Was all set to be shipped out on loan this season for a reason
Quite possibly, because he was 3rd or even 4th choice right winger. Here’s what RDZ said pre-season:

“Facundo in the last games of the season was important, but March didn’t play, so that can change the situation. I believe in Facundo a lot and I think he can become important, but I can’t give him my word that he will play 50, 40, 30 games. Maybe he wants to play on loan, I don’t know”

With Enciso and March out for the foreseeable and Adingra somewhat patchy, Buononatte will likely have a chance again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Quite possibly, because he was 3rd or even 4th choice right winger. Here’s what RDZ said pre-season:

“Facundo in the last games of the season was important, but March didn’t play, so that can change the situation. I believe in Facundo a lot and I think he can become important, but I can’t give him my word that he will play 50, 40, 30 games. Maybe he wants to play on loan, I don’t know”

With Enciso and March out for the foreseeable and Adingra somewhat patchy, Buononatte will likely have a chance again.
Yep - and will be training in a specific role now that we know Solly’s out.

I know he’s been patchy this season but playing regularly should see him improve.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022

The boy just isn’t ready for Prem football yet. I really thought this would be a breakout season but every performance has highlighted he’s nowhere near physically strong enough yet. Needs to develop away from the spotlight.

Jimmy Grimble

The boy just isn’t ready for Prem football yet. I really thought this would be a breakout season but every performance has highlighted he’s nowhere near physically strong enough yet. Needs to develop away from the spotlight.
Hopefully he’s been bulking during his time out of the team.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yep - and will be training in a specific role now that we know Solly’s out.

I know he’s been patchy this season but playing regularly should see him improve.
I have to agree with this.

I remember seeing Enciso at the beginning of last season. He looked well out of his depth. He just didn’t have the strength or speed for the Premier League. However, he trained hard and De Zerbi used him wisely. He ended up being one of the best young players in the division and started this season at the same level. His performance away to Wolves was spellbinding.

Buonanotte will come good. It’s a case of ‘when’ not ‘if’.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was reported Leeds but obviously didn’t happen.
Ah yes reported - didn’t sound ‘set’ at all - assumed he had inside info but clearly not - just guessing.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I have said since the day he arrived, I thought Buonanotte good enough for the first 11 but like Gilmour, Enciso, Sarmiento last season, he has had to compete for minutes with March being excellent as no.7 and Mc Allister occupying CAM/no.10 - Facu’s preferred position - so hardly surprising he struggled to make an impact and looked lost at times. Watching him this season (typically for a youngster still developing ) I think he has lost some of that raw creative edge he had at Rosario - but imo it’s temporary - he, like all our new players, just needs to learn RDZ’s ‘DNA’ both on the drawing board and on the training ground, until it’s second nature - then the flair and confidence will return - I think that focussing on Solly’s position in training will help him do this and more importantly gain confidence that he has a role to play.

His decision making is improving on the field, his right foot is getting stronger and he is showing signs that he can to do exactly what RDZ is asking of him tactically - skills March has in buckets - but for Facu it will come, like it does with every single young player, with playing competitive matches and building up to a 90 min stamina not from training or sitting on a bench. We just have to give him a chance as does RDZ. It’s incredibly sad for poor Solly but Facu may finally get the break he needs without having to go out on loan and ratcheting up match time away from the Club.

(And! - I think we should afford him the same latitude we gave to Caicedo (6 months loan at Beerschott) MacAllister (straight out to Argentinos jnrs for 6 mnths, then Bocca for another 6) , Mitoma (straight out to USG for a year), Gilmour (Norwich from Chelsea for a year) etc etc - all took time to develop before their Alleluia moment in the first 11.

- Facu has been inconsistent but the overall trajectory is ok and heading in the right direction -( but that’s Brighton for you too in a nutshell isn’t it 🙂)

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can I use this thread bump to make a plea? The NSC consensus is that Buonanotte's best position is a 'number 10'. Presumably because he's from Argentina. Argentina's current number 10 and WC winning captain plays on the right. Brighton's past number 10 from Argentina -- and now Liverpool's number 10 -- might have fancied himself as a number 10, but he's more usually used in a deeper CM role.
For those that insist Buonanotte's best position is a number 10: how do you know? Is it because he played in that role in Rosario? If so, my memory (which often fails) tells me he was primarily deployed on the right? Is it because he's played in that role for Brighton? If so, we can probably count on our fingers the number of minutes he's played there, which is hardly a basis.
And alternative explanation is his skill set. I'll mention two that might explain that view. First, he's not blessed with blistering pace and acceleration which is what you expect from a wide player. But he's no slouch, and the best wide players can adapt (Messi has done as he's aged; Giggs did it too). Second, in order to play wide, you need to go both ways; Buonanotte tends to cut inside onto his stronger left foot, and going done the line on the right is something he's going to have to do more of, not only to keep defenders second-guessing what he's going to do, but also because there's more space there. He's bright enough, serious enough and the coaching staff are competent enough to address these factors.
I doubt we'll see him play as a 'number 10' in our formation this season, at the very least.

Jimmy Grimble

Can I use this thread bump to make a plea? The NSC consensus is that Buonanotte's best position is a 'number 10'. Presumably because he's from Argentina. Argentina's current number 10 and WC winning captain plays on the right. Brighton's past number 10 from Argentina -- and now Liverpool's number 10 -- might have fancied himself as a number 10, but he's more usually used in a deeper CM role.
For those that insist Buonanotte's best position is a number 10: how do you know? Is it because he played in that role in Rosario? If so, my memory (which often fails) tells me he was primarily deployed on the right? Is it because he's played in that role for Brighton? If so, we can probably count on our fingers the number of minutes he's played there, which is hardly a basis.
And alternative explanation is his skill set. I'll mention two that might explain that view. First, he's not blessed with blistering pace and acceleration which is what you expect from a wide player. But he's no slouch, and the best wide players can adapt (Messi has done as he's aged; Giggs did it too). Second, in order to play wide, you need to go both ways; Buonanotte tends to cut inside onto his stronger left foot, and going done the line on the right is something he's going to have to do more of, not only to keep defenders second-guessing what he's going to do, but also because there's more space there. He's bright enough, serious enough and the coaching staff are competent enough to address these factors.
I doubt we'll see him play as a 'number 10' in our formation this season, at the very least.
I think you’ve nailed it with his skill set. Hopefully this is what he’s been working on in training.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Primarily, because of his lack of pace, I'd say.

So really, people are suggesting that he is 'not a winger' more than he 'is a no.10'.

Personally, I'll be delighted when Facu and RDZ prove me very wrong, but I don't see much there, yet. He's so far off it, that we are carrying a passenger when he starts - he absolutely needs senior games to move up a level, and he ought to be getting them somewhere else.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
For those that insist Buonanotte's best position is a number 10: how do you know?
Because he has said so himself - and RDZ said as much when we signed him that he could potentially be a replacement for McAllister. For my part, one of the few goals he has scored for us was from a number 10 position, because watching him play, despite being used largely wide, he has a natural tendency to drift inward - average heat maps out of 4 games, April 2023

l
IMG_0700.jpeg

Solly 22/23
IMG_0702.jpeg

- he is a dribbler and has an ability to change direction really quickly in high acceleration stop-starts rather than being a straight line sprinter (which makes him very useful in the 18 yard area imo).

If he is good enough to play for Argentina he’s good enough for us - he needs much more match experience and to learn the ‘DNA’ as it were but he has excellent potential and positional versatility…(imo!)

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well yes. It's that he doesn't have any of the attributes a top winger has

Pace = Nope
Dribbling / beats defenders = Nope
Crossing = No evidence, so far, this is where his talent is.

I'm not writing Facu off as a prospect at all. I am writing him off as a winger. He will never have a top level career out wide.

I personally think he'll drop deeper and be more of a Gilmour type player in time

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If he is good enough to play for Argentina, he’s good enough for us -
He isn't though, is he ('good enough to play for Argentina')?

They seem to see him exactly as we currently do - a talented youngster, whose potential makes it worth letting him hang around with the senior squad for experience - but not actually play any games.

I'm not sure how many squads / training camps he's been called up for, but he has only actually featured once - in a friendly against Indonesia.

I actually wonder if his initial call up was simply to get him invested / tied in - he has dual Argentine / Italian nationality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here