Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Entitled tw4ts at chelski

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Someone at the weekend said that Chelsea didn't go in for Maddison, because they won't buy anyone over 25. Weird that they can't see the benefit of a few leaders in the group. Lalana, Welbeck etc. have been key to our approach. They could have one of them for £100M ....

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
No, ne didn't accept it and dropped out of contention. Our third choice keeper then sat on the bench for the rest of the season.
Bloody hell, arguing for him to be considered 4th choice now?

That's taking it too far, he's not that bad!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
My problem with Sanchez was despite the odd clanger he would never really pull off a worldy save. He'd save what he should save 90% of the time which was fine for us but for a team supposedly going for the title I just don't think he's good enough. You need a keeper that will win you points on his own and Sanchez has never been that in my opinion despite being a fairly safe pair of hands

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Steele was playing every game, and we bought Verbruggen in to play him, so Sanchez had dropped to third choice.

To be fair, until we bought Bert, Sanchez was still 2nd choice, just refusing to play. But it was always obvious that Bert was bought to be first choice over Steele so at that point, Sanchez had dropped to third choice before Chelsea came in for him.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Chelsea bought Sanchez to be first choice and I can see him being replaced fairly quickly and then having to decide whether he is happy to sit on the bench as second choice or whether to withdraw his labour again :shrug:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Any fellow Chelsea Schadenfreudists should listen to the odd Chelsea podcast after they lose. Pointless after a victory as they quickly slip back into entitled "should get top four" territory. But after a defeat, especially a bad one like Forest at home, they go into total meltdown. Tremendous fun.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
To be fair, until we bought Bert, Sanchez was still 2nd choice, just refusing to play. But it was always obvious that Bert was bought to be first choice over Steele so at that point, Sanchez had dropped to third choice before Chelsea came in for him.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Chelsea bought Sanchez to be first choice and I can see him being replaced fairly quickly and then having to decide whether he is happy to sit on the bench as second choice or whether to withdraw his labour again :shrug:
Being reserve keeper at Chelsea is surely one of the greatest jobs in football. Attend mild training sessions 3 times a week plus the game on Saturday to sit on the bench. Do that for 7 or 8 years and pick up your half million every month. Then retire and be extremely wealthy for the next 40 years or so.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Being reserve keeper at Chelsea is surely one of the greatest jobs in football. Attend mild training sessions 3 times a week plus the game on Saturday to sit on the bench. Do that for 7 or 8 years and pick up your half million every month. Then retire and be extremely wealthy for the next 40 years or so.
I wonder if Ben White - who I think has said he doesn't actually like football - wishes he'd gone to Chelsea.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I don't think he'll withdraw labour now he's at the biggest club in the world!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I wonder if Ben White - who I think has said he doesn't actually like football - wishes he'd gone to Chelsea.
Same with David Batty, who older members here will remember from the Leeds side of the 1990s. Many in the media have tried to interview him, without success. In fact, I may as well paste this in from his Wikipedia:

Since retirement, some of Batty's former team mates including Alan Shearer and Jeff Kenna have commented that they didn't think Batty really liked football and that he had no real interest in it, only playing the sport because he was good at it. Shearer commented that he never studied the game or watched other games and that he was always the last one into training and the first one to leave, but regardless of this he was a fierce competitor. Following his retirement in 2004, Batty shunned life in the limelight and was living in Yorkshire, he is rarely interviewed and rarely attends functions. Due to Batty's life out of the media spotlight Les Ferdinand recalled rumours that Batty was a Superbike champion under another name or that he was living in a caravan in Filey but stated "The reality is a little more mundane: Batty is simply enjoying a low-key retirement with his family in Yorkshire as he always planned to."

Last edited:

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Talking of footballers who didn't like football that much, here's an article from the Guardian a few years ago https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ix-footballers-who-can-take-or-leave-football

I like the Christian Vieri quote - 'At the 1998 World Cup, before Italy faced France in the quarter-finals, a group of French journalists asked Vieri who his childhood idol was. “Allan Border,” came the reply, to bemused faces.'

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Frank Leboeuf thinks Chelsea's problems currently are in part down to players being scared to make mistakes, because the fans will boo/criticize them, so they're doing the bare minimum in games rather than taking any risks. Might be right. Just funny that their fans could be partly the cause of their on field problems.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Frank Leboeuf thinks Chelsea's problems currently are in part down to players being scared to make mistakes, because the fans will boo/criticize them, so they're doing the bare minimum in games rather than taking any risks. Might be right. Just funny that their fans could be partly the cause of their on field problems.
Exactly the same with Cucurella. They bought him precisely because of his risk taking. When I saw him last season all he could do was pass sideways. The Stamford Bridge crowd is shite.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My problem with Sanchez was despite the odd clanger he would never really pull off a worldy save. He'd save what he should save 90% of the time which was fine for us but for a team supposedly going for the title I just don't think he's good enough. You need a keeper that will win you points on his own and Sanchez has never been that in my opinion despite being a fairly safe pair of hands
Not true imo, I saw him pull off quite a few worldies, never saw him get anywhere near a penalty though

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

They will be nervous in all aspects of their play if their fans don't support them. Moises and Enzo are very YOUNG, Frank... they need support and decent coaching... not sure they're getting either at the moment (true for Mudryk too).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You didn't attend the FA Cup semi final then?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Frank TheBeef would know better than me, but that sounds bizarre. And, shirley if that was the case, they would be better away from Stamford Bridge?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here