[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We went to the Friday morning market in the next village, today, to grab a few things from the fruit & veg stall. We were beaten to it by the local crumblies who had formed a disorderly queue about 50m long to where you pay. Unfortunately this queue ran between the two rows of depleted produce, making it really difficult to get at anything that was left, with much tut-tutting and accustaions of queue jumping. It was hilarious :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In defence of old people, I've just returned from Aldi, Lewes, to get the veg for Xmas. As a side, why do we need so much stuff for one or two days. But anyway-
Young mums with kids running riot,
Couples arguing if they want cheap item or specialy selected item,
Bloke, or woman, at checkout remembers they want an item at the far end of the shop,
Anyone who queues at the till whilst still shopping, popping back to move their trolley. They even partly stack the belt and still dissappear,
Me. Being older than the wife she runs back when she remembers something and I have to stand still waiting for her to return.

Many years ago, 50 to be exact, I worked in an off licence for a few years before supermarkets closed them all down, and it was very very busy with queues out the door. Best years of my life, loved it and probably what got me into retail and all the organising of stock.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We went to the Friday morning market in the next village, today, to grab a few things from the fruit & veg stall. We were beaten to it by the local crumblies who had formed a disorderly queue about 50m long to the where you pay. Unfortunately this queue ran between the two rows of depleted produce, makung it really difficult to get at anything that was left, with much tut-tutting and accustaions of queue jumping. It was hilarious :ROFLMAO:
So basically you are moaning that you missed out because you couldn’t be bothered to get yourself out of bed in time :). We had finished our shopping before 9 am this morning. You snooze you lose.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Presumably it will be all packed up and ready for you by your other half - and so effectively 'click and collect' for you...??!
Unfortunately I have to trolley it good thing is the staff discount otherwise there is no way I could afford to shop there.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I would say this is far more annoying at a bar. Last time I was out in Brighton a group of 4 lads chatted away while we waited five minutes to get served. And only started looking at what beers they had when asked by the bar man
^THIS^
Also, if ordering Guinness, order that FIRST. If the barkeep has an ounce of intelligence (and at least 2 mins training), they will start that first while you tell them the rest of your order.

Back on topic, the thing that winds me up the most about a busy shop is people waiting in a queue, twiddling their thumbs, then looking all surprised when they are asked for payment. Only THEN do they start flapping around, searching through their wallet / purse / pockets looking for their loyalty card, vouchers and cash/cards. This happens with people of all ages and does leave me wondering how some people dress themselves in the morning...

When you are old and have nothing better to do winding up people is great fun, looks to me that they got a result
It was a just a shame they didn’t Harry Enfield Youngg Maan him

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blissful old age, as I give my husband a list and he does all the shopping, and my daughter & son law are doing all the cooking.
That’s what I call sorted.
My wife and I do all the shopping and all the cooking and have done for probably 30 of the 35 years we’ve been married. We keep threatening to run away one Christmas and go to a hotel………perhaps next year😁👍

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I am generally like OP, organised and keep out the way of others much to my Mrs disdain.

Yesterday morning I was in a convenience shop grabbing a couple of items and there was an old lady who just got to the till before me, she had what looked like her Christmas "stuff" TV Times, biscuits etc. and took ages to pay, pack, check her loyalty card had been accepted, gave too many notes to the cashier etc. etc.

I just stood there smiling thinking this was probably her last social contact for a few days so I just let it all waft over me. She also insisted on wishing all the staff a Merry Christmas before eventually moving away from the till area.

Let me tell you what REALLY annoys me - people (of all ages) who press the button for the pedestrian crossing when I'm in the only vehicle within 2 miles of the crossing point without looking and assessing the road situation and waiting 2 to 5 seconds for me to drive past before they are clear to cross unaided.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
as a married man with a child, I can't for the life of me understand why you get two parents with kid(s) going food shopping together.

It really doesn't need two adults to go so leave the children at home with the other parent that isn't shopping? It's a terrible experience for a child- loud, busy, tempting stuff everywhere you look so no wonder why they end up kicking off...I love going food shopping on my own

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I have to smile at all these comments, all of them very true! I worked for M&S Holmbush for 30+ years, (now an OAP). At Christmas we all had to help on foods and often on the Christmas food collection points, which I must say have been very well organised, the past few years. It never failed to amaze me how much food bought/ordered for just two days!
Christmas was good fun and I miss all happy and miserable customers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That’s what I call sorted.
My wife and I do all the shopping and all the cooking and have done for probably 30 of the 35 years we’ve been married. We keep threatening to run away one Christmas and go to a hotel………perhaps next year😁👍
I had many many years of doing that but now it is my turn to be spoiled.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

That's like me trying to get my match ticket back on my phone after one of its many routine disappearances.

Back to shopping. I was hours late arriving at Macknade today to pick up my turkey. A bit too much port last night, after watching the match. There was a collection kiosk. There was no queue. I showed my order slip. Someone went out the back and returned almost immediately with my box. Into the trolley, bosh, then little meander past the cheese (brie campagnard, Ashcombe and some gorgonzola piccante) and booze (a selection of craft ales for the missus, and some zero alcohol lager for the mad brother) and crisps (Iberian ham flavour. Yum). Twenty seconds in the checkout queue. There were 5 tills open. Forgot the f***ing sprouts, hadn't I. But the assistant was busy scanning my stuff and bagging it so another 20 seconds later I had grabbed some. Oh, and three parsnips. Almost forgot the parsnips. Paid by card. I don't carry cash. Back in the car and out. Ten minute job. I probably paid 30% more than I might have, had I joined the supermarket sweep, but I'm fortunate that I don't have to do that. No screaming kids, no dodderers. Unfortunately they had some McCartney Christmas shite on the PA, which makes me very angry indeed, so I torched the place as I left. Most of this is a true account.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
The best one is when they get on the bus, look around and seize their opportunity to do the full I had my bus pass here somewhere routine. The look of crestfallen disappointment on their face when the driver happily waves them through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports