Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
*RANT ALERT*

Just back from being sent for a few last minute items at Seaford Morrisons. Probably the most stressful 30 minutes of my year, that includes being hospitalised and every single Albion game.

Quite a few key items missing on our Christmas delivery, and I knew it was going to be bad, but my word.

My key take away was old ladies, trollies and large crowds are a very bad mix. They’ll be walking along just fine with a crowd of people behind them trying to pass and BOOM! They stop dead in their tracks for no reason. They look around, seem to have no idea where they are or what a supermarket is, pull out their list with their trolly blocking the aisle…

All of their Christmas sides are on one small aisle end, which was queuing three deep when I arrived. I watched as two old ladies picked up and put down every. single. item on the shelf. Examined the packaging. The ingredients, triple checked the price label. Put it in their trolley. Took it out of their trolley. Put it back into completely the wrong place.

Even worse, they intentionally parked their trollies horizontally across the produce shelves. I decided to do the other bits of shopping I had to do and come back.

I return 5 minutes later and they’re still there as are the other people queuing behind them to get access. They have nothing in their trollies and are still picking up and putting down the same mozzarella sticks and breaded mushrooms.

Eventually, I’ll be frank, I lost my shit. I physically removed their trollies - both of them, and stood next to them. They actually TUTTED and huffed and puffed about this.

Now, this was so parodical it seemed almost intentional. Like the old women running the charity shop in The League of Gentlemen only selling two left shoes, or removing a few pieces from the jigsaw puzzles. “Oh no dear!”.

I think the reality is probably quite a lot sadder. I strongly suspect that they simply can’t afford any of the items on the shelf and they perhaps do this daily, imagining being able to have them. I noticed their completely empty trollies were telling.

Never, ever again. I’d rather go without potatoes or stuffing next time.

****ing ****s

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
*RANT ALERT*

Just back from being sent for a few last minute items at Seaford Morrisons. Probably the most stressful 30 minutes of my year, that includes being hospitalised and every single Albion game.

Quite a few key items missing on our Christmas delivery, and I knew it was going to be bad, but my word.

My key take away was old ladies, trollies and large crowds are a very bad mix. They’ll be walking along just fine with a crowd of people behind them trying to pass and BOOM! They stop dead in their tracks for no reason. They look around, seem to have no idea where they are or what a supermarket is, pull out their list with their trolly blocking the aisle…

All of their Christmas sides are on one small aisle end, which was queuing three deep when I arrived. I watched as two old ladies picked up and put down every. single. item on the shelf. Examined the packaging. The ingredients, triple checked the price label. Put it in their trolley. Took it out of their trolley. Put it back into completely the wrong place.

Even worse, they intentionally parked their trollies horizontally across the produce shelves. I decided to do the other bits of shopping I had to do and come back.

I return 5 minutes later and they’re still there as are the other people queuing behind them to get access. They have nothing in their trollies and are still picking up and putting down the same mozzarella sticks and breaded mushrooms.

Eventually, I’ll be frank, I lost my shit. I physically removed their trollies - both of them, and stood next to them. They actually TUTTED and huffed and puffed about this.

Now, this was so parodical it seemed almost intentional. Like the old women running the charity shop in The League of Gentlemen only selling two left shoes, or removing a few pieces from the jigsaw puzzles. “Oh no dear!”.

I think the reality is probably quite a lot sadder. I strongly suspect that they simply can’t afford any of the items on the shelf and they perhaps do this daily, imagining being able to have them. I noticed their completely empty trollies were telling.

****ing ****s
Bah Humbug!

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
*RANT ALERT*

****ing ****s
Wait till you get old !!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
*RANT ALERT*

I have news for you…

i normally do the big weekly shopping, with a specific route around the isles and crash it out in an hour.
This morning however the wife decided to come, 7:30 in Sainsbury’s trolley at the ready, and we’re off….
Hang on where’s she gone, oh for fecks sake…

Long story short, i dare not tell you she left her trolly unattended quite a few times, took corners without due care and attention several times, stopped dead in her tracks to look at tinned pineapple or floor mops, while traffic was flowing nicely causing sudden evasive actions by others, pure torture…

we got outta there at 10:45…

it’s not just old people

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I hear ya!

And then they get to the checkouts......................

Cashier beeps all their wares, then it seems to have come as a shock to them that they have to pay. So then they have to remember where they have put their purse and when they eventually find it, insist on trying to find a penny somewhere to give the right money. Then the cashier will ask if they have a loyalty card and the whole rigmarole starts again. Once that's sorted they eventually start packing their shopping. Drives me nuts.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have news for you…

i normally do the big weekly shopping, with a specific route around the isles and crash it out in an hour.
This morning however the wife decided to come, 7:30 in Sainsbury’s trolley at the ready, and we’re off….
Hang on where’s she gone, oh for fecks sake…
I once counted 40 minutes of dawdling in the Home section alone. Not even getting anything.

FFS.

As you say, I have set route and set things to get, have a list and it's done usually within 45-55 mins. She doesn't like to have a list - "I like to just go down the aisles and see what I see".

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
almost as bad as the morons (usually a bloke, but not exclusively) shopping who have to have a phone conversation with someone else about what to get whilst standing in front of the thing they think they might be buying looking like they have trouble remembering to breathe in and out.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
almost as bad as the morons (usually a bloke, but not exclusively) shopping who have to have a phone conversation with someone else about what to get whilst standing in front of the thing they think they might be buying looking like they have trouble remembering to breathe in and out.
On a similar theme, people standing in a queue in say McDonalds, having chatted about anything and everything else, then they get to the front and ask each other what they’re getting. You had all that time in the queue to think about this…

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
*RANT ALERT*

****ing ****s
Just done the same and could repeat this word for word. Christ knows what it’s going to be like at the weekend (I won’t be finding out)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On a similar theme, people standing in a queue in say McDonalds, having chatted about anything and everything else, then they get to the front and ask each other what they’re getting. You had all that time in the queue to think about this…
…….and then when the cashier has scanned everything, THEN start fumbling around in your massive handbag for your purse, THEN spend ages trying to find the right card……oh hang on, I think I’ve got a couple of coupons in here somewhere……etc

FFS

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
*RANT ALERT*

****ing ****s
When you are old and have nothing better to do winding up people is great fun, looks to me that they got a result

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would say this is far more annoying at a bar. Last time I was out in Brighton a group of 4 lads chatted away while we waited five minutes to get served. And only started looking at what beers they had when asked by the bar man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here