Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's not just old people.

Why are young children taken to supermarkets particularly at this time of year, leave them at home with the grandparents, it keeps two groups away from supermarkets.
It's not just old people who block aisles with the angle of their trolley, worst of all are those that abandon their trolley and go off to get something from a different aisle.

And of course now the worst of all, the supermarket pickers who are doing the shopping for those that are too lazy to go themselves. Oversize trolleys and they all seem to gather together, making it impossible to pass, or get to items.

I think this is the type of post that will be appreciated by those who don't like going to supermarkets.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
*RANT ALERT*

Just back from being sent for a few last minute items at Seaford Morrisons. Probably the most stressful 30 minutes of my year, that includes being hospitalised and every single Albion game.

Quite a few key items missing on our Christmas delivery, and I knew it was going to be bad, but my word.

My key take away was old ladies, trollies and large crowds are a very bad mix. They’ll be walking along just fine with a crowd of people behind them trying to pass and BOOM! They stop dead in their tracks for no reason. They look around, seem to have no idea where they are or what a supermarket is, pull out their list with their trolly blocking the aisle…

All of their Christmas sides are on one small aisle end, which was queuing three deep when I arrived. I watched as two old ladies picked up and put down every. single. item on the shelf. Examined the packaging. The ingredients, triple checked the price label. Put it in their trolley. Took it out of their trolley. Put it back into completely the wrong place.

Even worse, they intentionally parked their trollies horizontally across the produce shelves. I decided to do the other bits of shopping I had to do and come back.

I return 5 minutes later and they’re still there as are the other people queuing behind them to get access. They have nothing in their trollies and are still picking up and putting down the same mozzarella sticks and breaded mushrooms.

Eventually, I’ll be frank, I lost my shit. I physically removed their trollies - both of them, and stood next to them. They actually TUTTED and huffed and puffed about this.

Now, this was so parodical it seemed almost intentional. Like the old women running the charity shop in The League of Gentlemen only selling two left shoes, or removing a few pieces from the jigsaw puzzles. “Oh no dear!”.

I think the reality is probably quite a lot sadder. I strongly suspect that they simply can’t afford any of the items on the shelf and they perhaps do this daily, imagining being able to have them. I noticed their completely empty trollies were telling.

Never, ever again. I’d rather go without potatoes or stuffing next time.

****ing ****s
That’ll be you one day

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I try and avoid supermarkets when busy, I’ve got to go between now and Sunday to try and find a turkey - I realise this isn’t ideal.

If there are old people, irritating women, stupid kids then so be it - they have as much right as I do to occupy the space.

I’ll have my noise cancelling headphones in chuckling along to a podcast.

(I’ll report back after the experience and in the case where I don’t actually keep my composure, say how many pensioners I’ve bashed up 😂😂)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
*RANT ALERT*

Just back from being sent for a few last minute items at Seaford Morrisons. Probably the most stressful 30 minutes of my year, that includes being hospitalised and every single Albion game.

Quite a few key items missing on our Christmas delivery, and I knew it was going to be bad, but my word.

My key take away was old ladies, trollies and large crowds are a very bad mix. They’ll be walking along just fine with a crowd of people behind them trying to pass and BOOM! They stop dead in their tracks for no reason. They look around, seem to have no idea where they are or what a supermarket is, pull out their list with their trolly blocking the aisle…

All of their Christmas sides are on one small aisle end, which was queuing three deep when I arrived. I watched as two old ladies picked up and put down every. single. item on the shelf. Examined the packaging. The ingredients, triple checked the price label. Put it in their trolley. Took it out of their trolley. Put it back into completely the wrong place.

Even worse, they intentionally parked their trollies horizontally across the produce shelves. I decided to do the other bits of shopping I had to do and come back.

I return 5 minutes later and they’re still there as are the other people queuing behind them to get access. They have nothing in their trollies and are still picking up and putting down the same mozzarella sticks and breaded mushrooms.

Eventually, I’ll be frank, I lost my shit. I physically removed their trollies - both of them, and stood next to them. They actually TUTTED and huffed and puffed about this.

Now, this was so parodical it seemed almost intentional. Like the old women running the charity shop in The League of Gentlemen only selling two left shoes, or removing a few pieces from the jigsaw puzzles. “Oh no dear!”.

I think the reality is probably quite a lot sadder. I strongly suspect that they simply can’t afford any of the items on the shelf and they perhaps do this daily, imagining being able to have them. I noticed their completely empty trollies were telling.

****ing ****s
Wow! If not in jest then you really are a miserable twunt. Did you offer to help them at all?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
That’ll be you one day
I’m really not sure it will.

In public spaces I am polite to a fault, which is why today really made my blood boil simply because of how inconsiderate they were being, not because they’re old and confused.

I would never, no matter how old, deliberately make a barricade with my trolley so I can take ages choosing a product while people waited behind me.

Another example; I went through the checkout and the loaf of bread I bought wouldn’t quite fit in my bag. So I took it in my hand and cleared the space for the next customer. I then walked clear of the crowds in the busy till area, found a quiet space where I wasn’t in the way, and repacked my bag at my leisure.

You know, common courtesy towards other people. I don’t think people lose that when they get old.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Then they go for petrol and don't use pay at pump so go into the kiosk to use the card they could have used at the pump. And browse everything on the shelves before ambling back to their car and slowly putting their seatbelts on, followed by a BA-level full system check before slowly driving away.
All the while a queue is building up.
Oh Christ on saddle less unicycle, you’ve opened another pet hate…

Petrol stations & combined food halls, the feckin worst ever experience and waste of life can be had in those things.
They are usually M&S so attract a certain biligerant attitude of dry robe wearing, 4x4 driving, feckin slow as you can feckin make it person, with a basket full of fresh olive sourdough bread, oat milk, and a packet of hobnobs.
first you have to wait for the selfish twat to buy their shopping before you can gain access to the petrol pump, do your business lickty split, then your stuck behind 5 Karen’s getting their said shite.

oh please.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just done the same and could repeat this word for word. Christ knows what it’s going to be like at the weekend (I won’t be finding out)
I will :down:

In the pub on Wednesday with the in-laws, I'm merrily sat there when FIL says "Oh, thank for offering to collect the turkey from Waitrose on Christmas Eve. It really is appreciated"

I know nothing about this at all. Look at wife. Wife changes subject quick.

Triffic. Can't wait.

As if it isn't enough that I have to COOK the bloody thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Until I opened this thread, I was thinking that I wasn’t feeling particularly festive. I now realise I feel positively Dickensian compared to the majority on this thread today.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
*RANT ALERT*

****ing ****s

Very much this. And also, organize yourself better at Xmas so you’re not visiting supermarkets at the last minute.

Which bit do you feel I missed?
😘😘

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
My wife is, as I type, currently doing the Xmas 'fresh shop' in Sainsbury's Haywards Heath. She absolutely HATES doing this but doesn't trust them to deliver everything and I'm 'working' today so can't help, apparently this shop could not wait until tomorrow. The result of this is going to be her returning in a VERY un-festive mood. Anyway, the moment the ring camera tells me she is approaching the front door then I'm out the back door and over the fence......

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My other half works in M&S food hall I have instructions to go at 7am tomorrow morning to pick up the Christmas dinner and food for the week. Can’t wait 😬
Presumably it will be all packed up and ready for you by your other half - and so effectively 'click and collect' for you...??!
Years ago I was on a bus going from Patcham into Brighton. I was on the bottom deck near the front, so I saw all of it unfold before me.

An old woman got on at Preston Park, and stood there, smiling with a full set of false teeth at the driver. This continued for several seconds.
Suddenly, she realised that something needed to happen. I assume the bus driver prompted her. I don't know whether she was looking for her bus fare or her bus pass, but there followed a real full-on panic, and she searched in every pocket, her bag, her handbag etc. She somehow managed to get the straps of her shopping bag, her handbag and her coat sleeve tangled up. A woman behind her, made moves to help untangle her. Big mistake. 'Don't you touch my bag!'. Eventually the driver told her to go and find a seat.
Good wheeze - might try that myself and avoid having to pay.
The keys to Xmas shopping in Supermarkets are:
The real key is.......don't. I have just strolled out, bought the venison and chicken from the butcher and a whole bag of stuff from the greengrocer. On my evening stroll, I'll pop in to the offie and get the beer & wine.

Sorted till Wednesday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would say this is far more annoying at a bar. Last time I was out in Brighton a group of 4 lads chatted away while we waited five minutes to get served. And only started looking at what beers they had when asked by the bar man
YES! This massively grinds my gears. Last time out at the Amex I found the shortest queue for the bar and it was moving quite quickly until it got to the bloke in front of me. Who, it turned out, was getting drinks for half the concourse and had misplaced several of them. “Are you sure you want Fosters?” “Bovril’s nice!” “Where’s Terry? Terrryyyy!”

F**K. OFF.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I will :down:

In the pub on Wednesday with the in-laws, I'm merrily sat there when FIL says "Oh, thank for offering to collect the turkey from Waitrose on Christmas Eve. It really is appreciated"

I know nothing about this at all. Look at wife. Wife changes subject quick.

Triffic. Can't wait.

As if it isn't enough that I have to COOK the bloody thing.
You’re cooking? I hope Waitrose have plenty of Soy Milk to keep you going throughout this evolution! 😉

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here