Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That’ll be you one day
That's the concern. There's a not-so-amusing aspect to all this.

As my Mum descended into the world of dementia, we began to get phone calls and letters, giving us insights into her behaviour.

Amongst many episodes, she repeatedly lost her house keys, bus pass, and one day, we found a letter telling her she was banned from Iceland (the store, not the country). We also found that she bummed drinks off customers in the Park View pub in Preston Drove. They told us they told her to leave several times previously, but every time they told her, she didn't remember the previous occasions, so she kept returning. Eventually, we found a lovely rest home for her in Hove, and she calmed down until she died three years ago.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
almost as bad as the morons (usually a bloke, but not exclusively) shopping who have to have a phone conversation with someone else about what to get whilst standing in front of the thing they think they might be buying looking like they have trouble remembering to breathe in and out.
I'm definitely guilty of doing that. Though tend to take a picture and send it, before realising there is no internet, trying to find a store wifi or free wifi to connect to with no joy then leaving the store with nothing or just some random tat

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I don't really think about Christmas until after my wife's birthday in mid December. I've now got covid and have got out of the food shopping (apart from an organic chicken - see mental health thread) and we'll also probably have to cancel our plans to have in ILs round on 26th, leaving us with a fridge full of food we don't eat at other times of the year! I'm going to have to compensate my beloved wife for this even more than normal.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mrs Wz got home from the gym at 8.30 this morning, quick shower and then off we went off to do the shopping. Car park filling up as we left, and home by 10.00 for a latte and almond croissant. See even old people can get a shift on sometimes :wink:

And it serves you right if you go shopping between monday and friday during the day. Piss off and join all the other youngsters at the evening or weekend.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
*RANT ALERT*

Just back from being sent for a few last minute items at Seaford Morrisons. Probably the most stressful 30 minutes of my year, that includes being hospitalised and every single Albion game.

Quite a few key items missing on our Christmas delivery, and I knew it was going to be bad, but my word.

My key take away was old ladies, trollies and large crowds are a very bad mix. They’ll be walking along just fine with a crowd of people behind them trying to pass and BOOM! They stop dead in their tracks for no reason. They look around, seem to have no idea where they are or what a supermarket is, pull out their list with their trolly blocking the aisle…

All of their Christmas sides are on one small aisle end, which was queuing three deep when I arrived. I watched as two old ladies picked up and put down every. single. item on the shelf. Examined the packaging. The ingredients, triple checked the price label. Put it in their trolley. Took it out of their trolley. Put it back into completely the wrong place.

Even worse, they intentionally parked their trollies horizontally across the produce shelves. I decided to do the other bits of shopping I had to do and come back.

I return 5 minutes later and they’re still there as are the other people queuing behind them to get access. They have nothing in their trollies and are still picking up and putting down the same mozzarella sticks and breaded mushrooms.

Eventually, I’ll be frank, I lost my shit. I physically removed their trollies - both of them, and stood next to them. They actually TUTTED and huffed and puffed about this.

Now, this was so parodical it seemed almost intentional. Like the old women running the charity shop in The League of Gentlemen only selling two left shoes, or removing a few pieces from the jigsaw puzzles. “Oh no dear!”.

I think the reality is probably quite a lot sadder. I strongly suspect that they simply can’t afford any of the items on the shelf and they perhaps do this daily, imagining being able to have them. I noticed their completely empty trollies were telling.

Never, ever again. I’d rather go without potatoes or stuffing next time.

****ing ****s
The poor old souls are almost as annoying as those fit and able people who are physically able to rush around the shops in record keeping time who think they have some divine right and who don’t have an ounce of compassion for those who are too frail, too poor, too add what you like.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There were some eldery blokes supporting Brighton at Selhurst last night.

Could hardly walk. Getting in the way of others.

Absolute f**king heroes.

(Great to see Palace stewards assist them. And move them to seating where they wouldn't have to keep moving to let others through)

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
*RANT ALERT*

Just back from being sent for a few last minute items at Seaford Morrisons. Probably the most stressful 30 minutes of my year, that includes being hospitalised and every single Albion game.

Quite a few key items missing on our Christmas delivery, and I knew it was going to be bad, but my word.

My key take away was old ladies, trollies and large crowds are a very bad mix. They’ll be walking along just fine with a crowd of people behind them trying to pass and BOOM! They stop dead in their tracks for no reason. They look around, seem to have no idea where they are or what a supermarket is, pull out their list with their trolly blocking the aisle…

All of their Christmas sides are on one small aisle end, which was queuing three deep when I arrived. I watched as two old ladies picked up and put down every. single. item on the shelf. Examined the packaging. The ingredients, triple checked the price label. Put it in their trolley. Took it out of their trolley. Put it back into completely the wrong place.

Even worse, they intentionally parked their trollies horizontally across the produce shelves. I decided to do the other bits of shopping I had to do and come back.

I return 5 minutes later and they’re still there as are the other people queuing behind them to get access. They have nothing in their trollies and are still picking up and putting down the same mozzarella sticks and breaded mushrooms.

Eventually, I’ll be frank, I lost my shit. I physically removed their trollies - both of them, and stood next to them. They actually TUTTED and huffed and puffed about this.

Now, this was so parodical it seemed almost intentional. Like the old women running the charity shop in The League of Gentlemen only selling two left shoes, or removing a few pieces from the jigsaw puzzles. “Oh no dear!”.

I think the reality is probably quite a lot sadder. I strongly suspect that they simply can’t afford any of the items on the shelf and they perhaps do this daily, imagining being able to have them. I noticed their completely empty trollies were telling.

****ing ****s
You’re really not very smart are you? Don’t you realise that most old people, like me, do order their shopping on-line (or have a family member do it for them). That leaves us plenty of time to toddle off down to the supermarket during peak times to deliberately aggravate as many tw*ts like you as we possibly can. It’s an outing! It’s fun!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You’re really not very smart are you? Don’t you realise that most old people, like me, do order their shopping on-line (or have a family member do it for them). That leaves us plenty of time to toddle off down to the supermarket during peak times to deliberately aggravate as many tw*ts like you as we possibly can. It’s an outing! It’s fun!

Well we have to find something to do with all that spare time. Don't do it with an empty trolley though, it's far too obvious. Put a few things in, and them simply dump the trolley somewhere awkward when you get bored/want a wee/forget what you're there for :wink:

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
That’s an interesting take. My experience is directly counter to this ie impatient young people lacking in basic manners and courtesy racing around expecting the world to stop for them because they have something desperately important they want to post on Facebook when they get home. Over this holiday period I will make a mental note to linger even longer than usual in aisles to help the younguns manage their stress levels ;)
Nah, young people don't use Facebook.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyone who is retired should be banned from shopping in Supermarkets after 5pm and at weekends.
You posted that at 11.30 on a FRIDAY morning. The old dears werent in the supermarket after 5pm or at the weekend.

Apart from the getting old, physically, they’re probably widows, so don’t see anyone at home, enjoying each other’s company. Getting out of the house is good for mental health.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well we have to find something to do with all that spare time. Don't do it with an empty trolley though, it's far too obvious. Put a few things in, and them simply dump the trolley somewhere awkward when you get bored/want a wee/forget what you're there for :wink:
Indeed. It just gets annoying when you get back from having a wee and can’t remember in which aisle you have left your trolley.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
All these articles about how bad self checkouts are, where are the staff now blah blah blah.

No. They are a BLESSING. The self-scan checkout is full of like-minded individuals (normal people) who want to get the hell out of the store as quickly as possible. It's a beautiful thing.

Go to a manned checkout and it's not only full of the olds in line. But there's usually a crinkly behind the bloody checkout too! The two slowest creatures on earth are the OAP shopper and the nearly-OAP checkout staff. It's AWFUL.

.... That said, the removal of the manned deli/butcher/fish counters is a disgrace. I don't mind waiting when I have a little raffle ticket in me hand.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Anyone who is retired should be banned from shopping in Supermarkets after 5pm and at weekends.
Maybe so but then so should people shopping with 2 adults and 2 or 3 children running around.
One adult stays either at home with the kids or in the car and the other shops. If need be they can send photos for decision making as it seems most people are unable to shop without a phone in their hand and a conversation in progress.

That´s my rant over.
Merry Christmas to all on NSC!

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
Just done the shopping and it was fine. I had to park on the street because the over-flow car-park was full. Very busy inside. Many shoppers looked like they'd never been in a supermarket before. I remained patient and cheerful. Took a bit longer than normal but what else would you expect at Christmas.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You’re cooking? I hope Waitrose have plenty of Soy Milk to keep you going throughout this evolution! 😉
I am cooking yes. For NINE. In my in-law's hopelessly small kitchen with zero workspace. The nine include five who will have the full Christmas roast, and four vegetarians, who between them will have three DIFFERENT veggie options.

I'm doing it, because I'll get it done METHODICALLY without too much stress - so long as everybody else stays well away and doesn't insist on trying to 'help'.

There are two other possible options who could be in charge of it all, but both (from bitter experience) are guaranteed to lead to no end of ridiculous DRAMA.

*RANT ALERT*

****ing ****s

Superb 😂😂😂😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here