Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So much more civilised than watching families of chavs arguing in Asda 😁all though far less entertaining.
I buy my work trousers from Asda at £15 a pop I can’t go wrong, anyhow was in Asda the other day and this poor fella wanted some honey the big Shelia of a wife was literally screaming at him I’m not ffin buying honey you are the only one that eats it 😬
If felt like buying a few jars of honey for the poor sod.
His life must be hell :down:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I get annoyed by the people who, upon entering the doorway, stand stock still like they have just stepped out of The Tardis and are trying to figure out what planet they are on and why they have arrived at a supermarket...

My other annoyance are the morons who lack the intellect to collect a basket or trolley at the door and have to clutch their selected purchases to their chest.
This, with escalators too.

I understand getting your bearings if you are visiting somewhere you don’t know, but what I do is, get this, consider other people behind me and move out of the way then plan where I’m going.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Anyone who goes Christmas shopping a couple of days before Christmas and doesn’t expect it to be a stressful experience is a bit thick imo :shrug:
I explained very clearly in the OP that I did expect it to be bad, it’s in the first paragraph. I also explained that my shopping delivery was missing essentials for Christmas Day (such as potatoes and stuffing) which weren’t substituted in the delivery, leaving me no choice but to go and buy some ASAP before they potentially sold out.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You will be old one day!

So much bad behaviour around… I agree. But there is no need for anti pensioner rants.. C’mon, it is Christmas! a time for goodwill to all men . We all know supermarket shopping is stressful . Consider it character building.
As a former young man who has grown old and slow , I tell you it is no fun and we do NOT do it to just wind up people. NB you also grow slow of mind as well as body .
I’m really not sure it will.

In public spaces I am polite to a fault, which is why today really made my blood boil simply because of how inconsiderate they were being, not because they’re old and confused.

I would never, no matter how old, deliberately make a barricade with my trolley so I can take ages choosing a product while people waited behind me.

Another example; I went through the checkout and the loaf of bread I bought wouldn’t quite fit in my bag. So I took it in my hand and cleared the space for the next customer. I then walked clear of the crowds in the busy till area, found a quiet space where I wasn’t in the way, and repacked my bag at my leisure.

You know, common courtesy towards other people. I don’t think people lose that when they get old.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
That's the concern. There's a not-so-amusing aspect to all this.

As my Mum descended into the world of dementia, we began to get phone calls and letters, giving us insights into her behaviour.

Amongst many episodes, she repeatedly lost her house keys, bus pass, and one day, we found a letter telling her she was banned from Iceland (the store, not the country). We also found that she bummed drinks off customers in the Park View pub in Preston Drove. They told us they told her to leave several times previously, but every time they told her, she didn't remember the previous occasions, so she kept returning. Eventually, we found a lovely rest home for her in Hove, and she calmed down until she died three years ago.
<moderator edit> post deleted. Seriously, what the f***? Be kind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I get annoyed by the people who, upon entering the doorway, stand stock still like they have just stepped out of The Tardis and are trying to figure out what planet they are on and why they have arrived at a supermarket...

My other annoyance are the morons who lack the intellect to collect a basket or trolley at the door and have to clutch their selected purchases to their chest.
I’m not getting a trolly for a few items and sometimes there are no baskets, quick tip cable ties open the trolley catch if you don’t have a £1 in the pocket although I guess the average joe doesn’t have a pack of cable ties to hand 🫤

I sometimes take a couple of trolley’s out of the stack with the cable tie and whilst eating lunch I wait for the first victim to eye the trolly and go for the £1. The look of disappointment when there is no free £1 .. hilarious 😆

Last edited:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
On a similar theme, people standing in a queue in say McDonalds, having chatted about anything and everything else, then they get to the front and ask each other what they’re getting. You had all that time in the queue to think about this…

This happens in the concourse queues at the Amex too!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
The only thing that annoys me is the online personal shoppers which seem to be there all hours with those wide trolleys with green boxes clogging up all the aisles. They seem to congregate in threes and fours.

My youngest, Winker jnr jnr, has got a Christmas job doing this. She works from 4am-8am five mornings a week. Apparently the shift all start in the same place so hunt in packs to start with until they thin out as they go round. The shop opens to the public at 6am? so people then get in the way.
Ironically for this thread, many of the early shoppers are old people!

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Have to confess, guilty as charged, I frequently go in for a pint of milk but then grab all the offers

whats worse is I usually forget my reusable bag and end stuffing groceries in my pockets cos I refuse to pay 20p for a bag

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Quite something I witnessed at Hove Waitrose: amidst the carnage of huge queues at every till, stewarding of the rammed car parks, empty shelves etc etc, the lady at the checkout next to mine had about five things in her trolley. Then she stopped putting them on the belt, paused for thought, and went walkies. To return 3-4 minutes later with ONE indeterminate root vegetable which she eventually placed the on the conveyor belt. Then, dear reader, she paused again. And then went walkies again.

Just for context: every other till had two or three people waiting, the scene and the queues amounting to something not unlike the concrete underbelly of the Stade Velodrome when the buses finally showed up. By the time I’d paid and left she had still not returned. Maybe she’s still there, looking at the vegetables.

Full kudos to the young chap waiting patiently to serve her; I might have suggested where she could elect to stick that root vegetable.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite something I witnessed at Hove Waitrose: amidst the carnage of huge queues at every till, stewarding of the rammed car parks, empty shelves etc etc, the lady at the checkout next to mine had about five things in her trolley. Then she stopped putting them on the belt, paused for thought, and went walkies. To return 3-4 minutes later with ONE indeterminate root vegetable which she eventually placed the on the conveyor belt. Then, dear reader, she paused again. And then went walkies again.

Just for context: every other till had two or three people waiting, the scene and the queues amounting to something not unlike the concrete underbelly of the Stade Velodrome when the buses finally showed up. By the time I’d paid and left she had still not returned. Maybe she’s still there, looking at the vegetables.

Full kudos to the young chap waiting patiently to serve her; I might have suggested where she could elect to stick that root vegetable.

Did she ever turnip?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I’m not getting a trolly for a few items and sometimes there are no baskets, quick tip cable ties open the trolley catch if you don’t have a £1 in the pocket although I guess the average joe doesn’t have a pack of cable ties to hand 🫤

I sometimes take a couple of trolley’s out of the stack with the cable tie and whilst eating lunch I wait for the first victim to eye the trolly and go for the £1. The look of disappointment when there is no free £1 .. hilarious 😆
Ooh. Good tip. Do they have to be any particular thickness of cable tie? (Although if I cant remember to take a pound coin...)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Could you not have per-SWEDE-d her to just pay for stuff and leave it at that?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Then they go for petrol and don't use pay at pump so go into the kiosk to use the card they could have used at the pump. And browse everything on the shelves before ambling back to their car and slowly putting their seatbelts on, followed by a BA-level full system check before slowly driving away.
All the while a queue is building up.
I have no sympathy for people queuing at petrol stations. It seems the vast majority still don't realise that petrol pump hoses will reach the far side of a car. So they will queue behind old folk even when there are free pumps or shorter queues.

Serves em right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here