Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
All of the the whinging about other people in supermarkets on this thread could be addressed by the whingers setting off from home earlier and allowing more time for their shopping. You know that other people don’t have your wonderfully high standards of efficiency, so factor it in. Same when you are driving. Set off 10 minutes earlier and calm down. Your stress is entirely of your own making.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Christ I just experienced the walking dead in sainsbury's!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
All of the the whinging about other people in supermarkets on this thread could be addressed by the whingers setting off from home earlier and allowing more time for their shopping. You know that other people don’t have your wonderfully high standards of efficiency, so factor it in. Same when you are driving. Set off 10 minutes earlier and calm down. Your stress is entirely of your own making.
I just need a few bits to finish off, I'm waitying for al these bah humbug posters to finish, then should get a clear run 😂

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I just had to pop down to collect an emergency prescription for the old lady who lives next door to me. She also asked if I’d be so good as to collect her a loaf of bread as well. So off I set and collect the prescription from chemist, then onto supermarket. Local supermarket, like so many ill thought out store layouts, has two huge display stands just inside the door leaving a gap of about 1 meter either side that you have to navigate, once past that slalom is a fairly large area just in front of the flower stand, which was deserted. Stood right in the gap aside the stand were 3 40 something women in full conversation, completely oblivious to everything and everyone around them. Asked to step aside by an elderly man so that he and other people can get by one says ‘we’re talking’……

Fit and able they may be, ignorant they were.

It’s true many elderly suffer with dementia and aren’t able to think logically, its also true that these ‘youngun’s’ who would like the elderly banned from stores at time of day that may be inconvenient to them just aren’t able to think, no medical reason for it, they just can’t do it. Reminded me of the old Kevin and Perry sketch where when he turned 13 his brains fell out.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Why on earth don’t people use the self-scanners more? All this moaning about queuing up at checkouts. You queue up for ages, then take everything out of your trolley. Then wait some more, then put everything back into your trolley. Why?

We scan as we go, getting a variety of discounts as we do so, and having a running total of what we’re spending displayed on the scanner. At the end, we wheel it straight into the special checkout area, hit the button, pay the bill and go. In a way I’m glad that so few people do it as I don’t want to have to queue to pay. But it saves so much time at the end that I'm really curious why others prefer the ancient tradition of getting even more frazzled trying to leave the supermarket.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My complaints were about the selfishness/ignorance of others around them on the shop floor, specifically in this case elderly people. Nothing to do with checkouts on this occasion or in my OP.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've just got back from Sainos at bottom of Preston Drove where I was literally the only customer. Sadly for all the wrong reasons. There's a dozen police cars down there, the main road is diverted and there's about a hundred yards of police Do Not Cross tape, including the whole car park. It really does not look good at all :down:

If its the same thing, Sussex Police and the Argus are now reporting this as a murder of a pedestrian with the vehicle fleeing the scene and being caught in Worthing. How awful.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why on earth don’t people use the self-scanners more? All this moaning about queuing up at checkouts. You queue up for ages, then take everything out of your trolley. Then wait some more, then put everything back into your trolley. Why?

We scan as we go, getting a variety of discounts as we do so, and having a running total of what we’re spending displayed on the scanner. At the end, we wheel it straight into the special checkout area, hit the button, pay the bill and go. In a way I’m glad that so few people do it as I don’t want to have to queue to pay. But it saves so much time at the end that I'm really curious why others prefer the ancient tradition of getting even more frazzled trying to leave the supermarket.
I don’t find queuing at the checkout at all stressful. I am happy to relax and let someone else do the hard work of the scanning that basically I couldn’t be bothered to do.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don’t find queuing at the checkout at all stressful. I am happy to relax and let someone else do the hard work of the scanning that basically I couldn’t be bothered to do.
And you don't have to wait and hunt for a member of staff to come and verify that they are your shopping bags on the scale (why, if they are encouraging us to have reusable jute bags and so on, can their scales not recognise that when you put a bag on it and press 'bag' that it might actually be heavier bag than a plastic carrier?), then wait again for some one to come and verify that you're over 25, and then have to scan each of 10 of the same items (which is the only reason I go to a supermarket - to bulk buy things I can't get easily in the local family-run shops) through instead of the cashier being able to put one through and push x10, and then wait for it to weigh before doing the next one.

Not keen on self-scanning.

And why don't we get a discount - because presumably the reason they introduced them was to save staff costs, so some of this should be passed on?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

This is a game changer tbh

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
And you don't have to wait and hunt for a member of staff to come and verify that they are your shopping bags on the scale (why, if they are encouraging us to have reusable jute bags and so on, can their scales not recognise that when you put a bag on it and press 'bag' that it might actually be heavier bag than a plastic carrier?), then wait again for some one to come and verify that you're over 25, and then have to scan each of 10 of the same items (which is the only reason I go to a supermarket - to bulk buy things I can't get easily in the local family-run shops) through instead of the cashier being able to put one through and push x10, and then wait for it to weigh before doing the next one.

And why don't we get a discount - because presumably the reason they introduced them was to save staff costs, so some of this should be passed on?
Self scanning is much, much easier than the self checkouts. Give it a go, my wife hated doing shopping before, now she self scans and loves it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yep, the self scanning people are friends of the shareholder.
I will add to your list that an employee with an actual job (as opposed to a machine) does not tell you off for putting your shopping in the ‘wrong’ place. Also, why would I want to scroll through all the various types of fruit to find the one I am buying when someone who does it every day can use their expertise.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yep, the self scanning people are friends of the shareholder.
I will add to your list that an employee with an actual job (as opposed to a machine) does not tell you off for putting your shopping in the ‘wrong’ place. Also, why would I want to scroll through all the various types of fruit to find the one I am buying when someone who does it every day can use their expertise.
That is the self service checkouts. Self scanning is you scan every item with a handset as you put in your bag in the trolley. Once done, you scan a barcode on the self service checkout which transfers everything to the checkout, you pay and bosh, done. Your shopping is already packed and, unless you have items with security tags, items that need age verifying or they do a random check, you are on your way. It is so much easier and quicker than the self service checkouts and miles quicker and easier than the normal checkouts.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That is the self service checkouts. Self scanning is you scan every item with a handset as you put in your bag in the trolley. Once done, you scan a barcode on the self service checkout which transfers everything to the checkout, you pay and bosh, done. Your shopping is already packed and, unless you have items with security tags, items that need age verifying or they do a random check, you are on your way. It is so much easier and quicker than the self service checkouts and miles quicker and easier than the normal checkouts.
I’m not bothered about saving the time and I enjoy chatting about Tranmere Rovers with the staff. Different life priorities.

Jul 7, 2003
Karma at Christmas. I was in the queue at 8am with a couple of dozen others waiting for the doors to open so I could collect my order and grab some fresh veg. Doors open, and the people move forward but then there are some people who ignore the queue and push straight in through the doors. I let it go, not worth getting worked up over.

I get everything I needed, queued to pay behind someone with a trolley full but there was an old lady with only a couple items in her basket so I let her go first.

As she unloaded her basket, one of the staff tapped me on the shoulder, pointed to the unopened till next to us and invited me to go there as she was just logging in.

Sometimes a little patience and kindness will be paid back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here