Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists who ride on the road and ignore traffic lights

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And I have seen many car drivers going through red lights often in excess of the speed limit, I've seen cyclists forced off the road by careless lorry drivers and threatened by pedestrians determined to walk 3 abreast down the cycle lane. But lets blame all the highway code breaches on the poor bloody push bike riders.

How many of you car drivers can honestly say that you never break any driving rules, never do 35 in a 30 limit, never go through even an amber light? And you are driving a lethal weapon, so sort your own driving out before you run others down, pun intended.

Sensitive soul aren't you! Isn't the OP about certain cyclists breaching rules rather than all cyclists yet you seem to want to tar all drives with the same brush!! Also, the law allows you to go over an amber light if the alternative is to stop so quickly that this may in itself cause an accident!

When I worked in London it tended to be the cycle couriers that were the ones that were a law unto themselves (but not all of them!).

• In 2010, the number of killed or seriously injured cyclists (70) was the highest since 1998.
• The 70 cases included 12 children. There were 3 deaths (all adults).
• The cyclist KSI rate was 5.2 per 100,000 population, which is 12% above the national average, even though in terms of journeys made, cycling in Merseyside is well below the national average, at 1% of journeys made.

Hardly Dignitas, is it?

Where did you get your stats as they don't make sense! They suggest that only 3 cyclists were killed in 2010 however the following link shows there were 10 deaths in London in 2010 alone!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...n-two-thirds-of-cyclist-deaths-in-London.html

You mention merseyside so are these very localised stats. If they are then you perhaps you should qualify the stats by making that clear!

On the topic as a whole, interesting development in the states!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ere-cyclist-convicted-vehicular-homicide.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where is here?
Cyclists and pedestrians do not respect each other.

Going through a red light against other traffic you regard as pettiness?

All I am saying is that where I live there is a very more relaxed and respectful attitude between cyclists, car drivers and pedestrians. And yes, there is cycling on the pavements and the odd jumping of a red light but no one really gives a toss as its not important. On here there is talk of "hooligans" and " enforcing the laws of the land." Seriously, get a grip.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm starting to believe that whoever is in charge of road planning is deliberately trying to cause conflict between road users by sending out mixed messages. There are some cycle lanes, but not everywhere and some aren't fit for purpose. Some of them are on the road, so cyclists should be on the road. Some are on pavements, so cyclists should be on pavements. Sometimes there are tucan crossings, so cyclists should be treated as pedestrians, but it's illegal to cycle on pavements or through red lights even though pedestrians can do so. Some cycle lanes are contra-flow, but these may not be marked and won't be signed for motorists coming the other way. Some 'cycle lanes' aren't marked at all, but might be contra-flow too. The start and end of cycle lanes just appear, and there aren't signs to indicate what should happen.

It's a complete mess, causes confusion and conflict, and creates danger.

I would like to add in that cyclists are encouraged to undertake by the way the advanced stop boxes are designed. They all have a little cycle lane leading up to them on the left hand side of the road. It really is asking for trouble.

The contra flow cycle lanes in North Laine in Brighton are amongst the most dangerous things I have ever seen, most of these roads are just wide enough for one car, yet cyclists are encouraged to ride towards them. These cycle lanes are a sad case of changing the road design to accommodate people who do not abide by the law, really rather silly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where did you get your stats as they don't make sense! They suggest that only 3 cyclists were killed in 2010 however the following link shows there were 10 deaths in London in 2010 alone!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...n-two-thirds-of-cyclist-deaths-in-London.html

You mention merseyside so are these very localised stats. If they are then you perhaps you should qualify the stats by making that clear!
Or alternatively you could pull your head from your arse and look at the quote as a whole.

What with it being in response to CHESHIRE cat, saying ''cyclists round here (Merseyside) are plain suicidal'', and me ending the quote by saying ''hardly Dignitas, is it''.

Just in case you need 'help' to make it clear, I'll qualify THE WHOLE reply for you.

Cheshire Cat live 14 miles from Prenton Park, Tranmere, if not in, is pretty close to, Merseyside, Cheshire.
Cheshire Cat thinks the cyclists in Merseyside are suicidal
The stats (that's short for statistics) seem to disprove that.

Digintas is a clinic in Switzerland that assists suicide.
Ditintas' assisted suicide rate is greater than the death rate of Merseyside's cyclists.

Therefore the conclusion I reached is that the cyclists of Merseyside are not suicidal when compared with something 'famous' for suicide.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure that enforcing the laws of the nation can be construed as pettiness can it?

I think you should grumble on here about this a bit more, then maybe write a letter to The Argus. You might want to take a peak through your net curtains as well...the neighbours might be up to something.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I would like to add in that cyclists are encouraged to undertake by the way the advanced stop boxes are designed. They all have a little cycle lane leading up to them on the left hand side of the road. It really is asking for trouble.

The contra flow cycle lanes in North Laine in Brighton are amongst the most dangerous things I have ever seen, most of these roads are just wide enough for one car, yet cyclists are encouraged to ride towards them. These cycle lanes are a sad case of changing the road design to accommodate people who do not abide by the law, really rather silly.

Are the North Laine contra-flow ones marked, or signed for drivers? Have they been publicised properly so people expect cyclists to be there, and understand that it's perfectly legal for them to be there?

I don't think it's that silly, I think it's a attempt to make cycling the most sensible mode of transport by removing the 1-way system that is used to discourage driving.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I find the petty UK fetish with cyclists riding on the pavement or on the road, when there is a cycle path, quite bizarre. It only happens in the UK. I mean, does it really matter that much to you? If so why? Dont you have bigger issues in the UK at the moment? Why not concentrate on these? No one gives a toss about such petty nonsense here. Cyclists and pedestrians often use the same areas and both respect each other.
Well they don't in Britain. As a pedestrian I'm well aware I'm at the bottom of the food chain and also I've had far more problems with rogue cyclists than I ever have with rogue motorists, indeed the only time I've been involved in an accident (and been knocked down) was when I was hit by a cyclist whilst I was walking on the pavement on Tottenham Court Road.

I guess German cyclists are better behaved, which kinda supports the premise of this thread.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Well they don't in Britain. As a pedestrian I'm well aware I'm at the bottom of the food chain and also I've had far more problems with rogue cyclists than I ever have with rogue motorists, indeed the only time I've been involved in an accident (and been knocked down) was when I was hit by a cyclist whilst I was walking on the pavement on Tottenham Court Road.

I guess German cyclists are better behaved, which kinda supports the premise of this thread.

Maybe there should be some sort of 'strict liability' that would mean the larger vehicle is ALWAYS presumed to be at fault in collisions (like in Holland). That would lift pedestrians (the smallest, most vulnerable party) to the top.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or alternatively you could pull your head from your arse and look at the quote as a whole.

What with it being in response to CHESHIRE cat, saying ''cyclists round here (Merseyside) are plain suicidal'', and me ending the quote by saying ''hardly Dignitas, is it''.

Just in case you need 'help' to make it clear, I'll qualify THE WHOLE reply for you.

Cheshire Cat live 14 miles from Prenton Park, Tranmere, if not in, is pretty close to, Merseyside, Cheshire.
Cheshire Cat thinks the cyclists in Merseyside are suicidal
The stats (that's short for statistics) seem to disprove that.

Digintas is a clinic in Switzerland that assists suicide.
Ditintas' assisted suicide rate is greater than the death rate of Merseyside's cyclists.

Therefore the conclusion I reached is that the cyclists of Merseyside are not suicidal when compared with something 'famous' for suicide.

Touched a nerve there then!! Perhaps you should have made it clear that your stats were from the merseyside area especially as the whole thread isn't centred around that region! I also didn't ask for any clarication re the dignitas comment but you obviously didn't understand the question 'where did you get your stats from?' Perhaps you are the one that needs to remove his head from where the sun don't shine!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm not sure it's a case of being better behaved. I think it's a combination of drivers, peds and cyclists all being more laid back. As a pedestrian I regularly have cars stop and let me cross if I step into the road even if they have right of way. Equally I have had pedestrians move out the way when I'm cycling on the pavement. The public simply do not waste their time with petty squabbles like this; very few people seem to give a **** .

Oh, and I rarely see "Please do not chain your bike to these railings" notices.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure it's a case of being better behaved. I think it's a combination of drivers, peds and cyclists all being more laid back. As a pedestrian I regularly have cars stop and let me cross if I step into the road even if they have right of way. Equally I have had pedestrians move out the way when I'm cycling on the pavement.
What about when you drive your car on the pavement? I bet they get out of the way then as well!

I hear what you're saying though. I too hate all petty rules and regulations and prefer to challenge them as opposed to just blindly accepting them (standing at football being the chief one), but perhaps because of my personal experience the sight of a cyclist on a pavement weaving in and out of people really gets my back up.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure it's a case of being better behaved. I think it's a combination of drivers, peds and cyclists all being more laid back. As a pedestrian I regularly have cars stop and let me cross if I step into the road even if they have right of way. Equally I have had pedestrians move out the way when I'm cycling on the pavement. The public simply do not waste their time with petty squabbles like this; very few people seem to give a **** .

Oh, and I rarely see "Please do not chain your bike to these railings" notices.

I notice you're definetely not wasting your time with petty squabbles

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I notice you're definetely not wasting your time with petty squabbles

I'm trying to help you take a better and less stressful route through your journey in life by showing you an alternative. I agree I don't have to do this, but I'm a charitable kind of guy and I want to help you........smart arse :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Touched a nerve there then!! Perhaps you should have made it clear that your stats were from the merseyside area especially as the whole thread isn't centred around that region! I also didn't ask for any clarication re the dignitas comment but you obviously didn't understand the question 'where did you get your stats from?' Perhaps you are the one that needs to remove his head from where the sun don't shine!!!

No I just don't see why I should do your thinking for you, just because you are either too lazy or stupid to do it for yourself.
Although you didn't let either option handicap you when criticising me

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm trying to help you take a better and less stressful route through your journey in life by showing you an alternative. I agree I don't have to do this, but I'm a charitable kind of guy and I want to help you........smart arse :smile:

My journey would have a far less stressful route if I didn't have to jump off the pavement and into the road to get out of the way of bloody cyclists

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My journey would have a far less stressful route if I didn't have to jump off the pavement and into the road to get out of the way of bloody cyclists

No need for any jumping; just carry on walking as I very much doubt they will mow you down. I have walked all around Brighton especially the pedestrian/cyist bete noir which is Hove prom and never been run over by an errant cyclist. Be brave, stand by me, my apprentice.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I was crossing the road, a one way street and a cyclist come hurtling down the wrong way and had to brake sharply to avoid hitting me and ended up on the floor with a bit of claret coming from some cuts, served him right, he tried to blame me despite the fact he was going the wrong way! I called him a ****ing prick and continued my journey smirking, cyclists are fine as long as they stick to the rules, pricks like that deserve to end up on the floor, if he hadn't fallen off I'd have probably put him on the floor myself!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've lost count of the times I've nearly been knocked over by a cyclist going the wrong way down St. James' street.

But how many times have you actually been knocked over?

I think you should grumble on here about this a bit more, then maybe write a letter to The Argus. You might want to take a peak through your net curtains as well...the neighbours might be up to something.

Eh?

I ask why enforcing the law is pettiness and you launch into a personal attack.

Strange person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here