Cyclists who ride on the road and ignore traffic lights

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I find the petty UK fetish with cyclists riding on the pavement or on the road, when there is a cycle path, quite bizarre. It only happens in the UK. I mean, does it really matter that much to you? If so why? Dont you have bigger issues in the UK at the moment? Why not concentrate on these? No one gives a toss about such petty nonsense here. Cyclists and pedestrians often use the same areas and both respect each other.

Because people in the UK have to be pissed off about something. Have you ever seen a tabloid headline?

The weather, royals, Jordan's got cellulite, cyclists, immigrants, the youth of today, Wayne Rooney's wages. Etc etc.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I find the petty UK fetish with cyclists riding on the pavement or on the road, when there is a cycle path, quite bizarre. It only happens in the UK. I mean, does it really matter that much to you? If so why? Dont you have bigger issues in the UK at the moment? Why not concentrate on these? No one gives a toss about such petty nonsense here. Cyclists and pedestrians often use the same areas and both respect each other.

Yeah cyclists tend to be nothing but polite when pedestrians are in the cycle lane.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah cyclists tend to be nothing but polite when pedestrians are in the cycle lane.

Maybe if you smile at cyclists a bit more things will change? Go on, give it a try.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Why would you walk in a cycle lane? You wouldn't walk up the middle of the A23.

How do you walk from the road to the pavement with a cycle lane in the middle?

Why is it worse to walk in a cycle lane than ride on the pavement if there's a road and a cycle lane?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just seen 3 bikes do this at the intersection on London road by Aldi one nearly got flattened by a bus, I know it's been done to death but is this actually against the law? I don't have an issue with cyclists but if you're going to cycle on roads surely you have to abide by the laws of the road?

In the BBC2 prog last night on London Transport (forgotten what it's called, been on for the last few weeks), there were policemen stopping cyclists in London who weren't stopping at red lights and fining them £30. Caught loads of them. A good money spinner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the BBC2 prog last night on London Transport (forgotten what it's called, been on for the last few weeks), there were policemen stopping cyclists in London who weren't stopping at red lights and fining them £30. Caught loads of them. A good money spinner.

As I mentioned earlier, why is there this UK fetish with such pettiness?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How do you walk from the road to the pavement with a cycle lane in the middle?

Why is it worse to walk in a cycle lane than ride on the pavement if there's a road and a cycle lane?

1. You cross it much as you would cross a road. When nothing's coming.

2. Walking in a cycle lane is stupid. Cycling on the pavement is stupid.

I ride two or three times a week in a vague attempt to keep fit. For me, safety comes before breaking my record time. I ride on the road when there's no cycle lane and obey the traffic laws as if I was driving my car. Where there is a cycle lane I use it. I have had more close calls from tw@t pedestrians dawdling in cycle lanes than I have had on the road and yet they're supposed to be safer!

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
1. You cross it much as you would cross a road. When nothing's coming.

2. Walking in a cycle lane is stupid. Cycling on the pavement is stupid.

I ride two or three times a week in a vague attempt to keep fit. For me, safety comes before breaking my record time. I ride on the road when there's no cycle lane and obey the traffic laws as if I was driving my car. Where there is a cycle lane I use it. I have had more close calls from tw@t pedestrians dawdling in cycle lanes than I have had on the road and yet they're supposed to be safer!

No I agree with both your points. Herr T seems to think pedestrians are petty for complaining when cyclists ignore cycle lanes and go on the pavement, i've seen many cyclists do the same when people are in the cycle lanes

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Went through town leisurely on the bike today as I had to pick things up - and have to admit the cyclists jumping the lights really f*cked me off! One guy squeezed past me to get in front, then weaved his way through traffic over the junction with us on a red. I did chase after him, as I wanted to have a word and tell him he gives the rest of us a bad name, but he turned off.

Anyway, especially down Western Road it did come as a shock how many do it.

I see them like football hooligans. Many people see all football fans as hooligans, however a minority few can tarnish everyone else. Cyclists jumping red lights are hooligans!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Where is here?
Cyclists and pedestrians do not respect each other.

As I mentioned earlier, why is there this UK fetish with such pettiness?

Going through a red light against other traffic you regard as pettiness?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Went through town leisurely on the bike today as I had to pick things up - and have to admit the cyclists jumping the lights really f*cked me off! One guy squeezed past me to get in front, then weaved his way through traffic over the junction with us on a red. I did chase after him, as I wanted to have a word and tell him he gives the rest of us a bad name, but he turned off.

Anyway, especially down Western Road it did come as a shock how many do it.

I see them like football hooligans. Many people see all football fans as hooligans, however a minority few can tarnish everyone else. Cyclists jumping red lights are hooligans!

This.

I do get very cross at fellow cyclists going through red. Can't expect to be respected on the road if you don't respect the road.

Fortunately, the chaps I know are very respectful.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm starting to believe that whoever is in charge of road planning is deliberately trying to cause conflict between road users by sending out mixed messages. There are some cycle lanes, but not everywhere and some aren't fit for purpose. Some of them are on the road, so cyclists should be on the road. Some are on pavements, so cyclists should be on pavements. Sometimes there are tucan crossings, so cyclists should be treated as pedestrians, but it's illegal to cycle on pavements or through red lights even though pedestrians can do so. Some cycle lanes are contra-flow, but these may not be marked and won't be signed for motorists coming the other way. Some 'cycle lanes' aren't marked at all, but might be contra-flow too. The start and end of cycle lanes just appear, and there aren't signs to indicate what should happen.

It's a complete mess, causes confusion and conflict, and creates danger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports