Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists who ride on the road and ignore traffic lights

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was crossing the road, a one way street and a cyclist come hurtling down the wrong way and had to brake sharply to avoid hitting me and ended up on the floor with a bit of claret coming from some cuts, served him right, he tried to blame me despite the fact he was going the wrong way! I called him a ****ing prick and continued my journey smirking, cyclists are fine as long as they stick to the rules, pricks like that deserve to end up on the floor, if he hadn't fallen off I'd have probably put him on the floor myself!

1324650304_cool_story_bro_gag.jpg

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I would like to add in that cyclists are encouraged to undertake by the way the advanced stop boxes are designed. They all have a little cycle lane leading up to them on the left hand side of the road. It really is asking for trouble.

The contra flow cycle lanes in North Laine in Brighton are amongst the most dangerous things I have ever seen, most of these roads are just wide enough for one car, yet cyclists are encouraged to ride towards them. These cycle lanes are a sad case of changing the road design to accommodate people who do not abide by the law, really rather silly.

I used the contra flow cycle lanes for a while but have now stopped due to the amount of abuse and some very near accidents (coming up Kensington Street against the usual flow of traffic was completly terrifying especially as it seems a bit of a rat run for cars). Car drivers seem to have no idea that they are now two way for cyclist and probably just added to their prejudice towards cyclists being a law amongst themselves

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eh?

I ask why enforcing the law is pettiness and you launch into a personal attack.

Strange person.

You are a very sensitive sole.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eh?

I ask why enforcing the law is pettiness and you launch into a personal attack.

Strange person.

I shall take your question at face value. Are you serious in that you have absolutely no idea, not even the smallest of an inkling, as to why I might think that a Met police officer charging cyclists £30 might have his time spent better elsewhere?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I shall take your question at face value. Are you serious in that you have absolutely no idea, not even the smallest of an inkling, as to why I might think that a Met police officer charging cyclists £30 might have his time spent better elsewhere?

I reckon fining cyclists is a far better use of met officer's time than killing drunk newspaper vendors, selling stories to tabloids or trying to smear the Lawrence family

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I reckon fining cyclists is a far better use of met officer's time than killing drunk newspaper vendors, selling stories to tabloids or trying to smear the Lawrence family

True, but I said better, and this is hardly better is it?

Yes of course I have an inkling, and as much as I agree with the sentiment, what other laws are there on your list that the Police should ignore being broken?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes of course I have an inkling, and as much as I agree with the sentiment, what other laws are there on your list that the Police should ignore being broken?

FFS

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If I'm crossing on a green man, and they decide to jump a red light, I take a swing at them. Nothing annoys me more!

This really pisses me off, I've lost count of the amount of times I've crossed over New England Road and some cyclist has ridden straight through without even looking :rant:

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I have seen lots of cars drive the wrong way down the bottom of Trafalgar St.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That smiling on the underground law. That law about not making jam on a Sunday. The law that prohibits me hitting Jeremy Clarkson around the head with a cricket bat. I could go on.

That smiling on the underground law. That law about not making jam on a Sunday. The law that prohibits me hitting Jeremy Clarkson around the head with a cricket bat. I could go on.

After you answered with FFS originally, did it really take you almost two hours to come up with that drivel?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After you answered with FFS originally, did it really take you almost two hours to come up with that drivel?

Er, yeah. Of course it did :rollseyes:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I used the contra flow cycle lanes for a while but have now stopped due to the amount of abuse and some very near accidents (coming up Kensington Street against the usual flow of traffic was completly terrifying especially as it seems a bit of a rat run for cars). Car drivers seem to have no idea that they are now two way for cyclist and probably just added to their prejudice towards cyclists being a law amongst themselves

I think part of the problem is that the cycle lanes are only marked at either end of each street. As far as I can remember there are no signs warning drivers that there will be cyclists coming in the opposite direction either. Those streets, Gloucester Street + Road and Kensington Street are bad enough going in the correct direction. With the number of pedestrians in the middle of the road, badly parked cars, cyclists and cars coming in both directions and people ignoring the signs and road markings. I honestly feel safer riding along far busier roads with greater volumes of traffic, than there. Though it only reaches number three on the Brighton bicycle danger list for me.

1. Lewes Road, home of the non indicating turning left driver, and the pulling out in to the cycle lane driver.
2. Dyke Road downhill, everyone's favourite six inch cycle path combined with car's parked in said cycle lane, and lots of drivers who think they have found a short cut to driving down London Road.
3. See above.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Cyclists should be made to take a test, have a licence, some kind of identification like number plates, because they are untraceable they just keep offending. Before any of the cyclist gang say anything, i dont give a ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here