Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists who ride on the road and ignore traffic lights

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It must be a minority as I can't even remember ever seeing a cyclist skip a red light.

But whilst people are moaning, I shall have a different moan. When I'm riding my bike and I slow down to let a car out, just go. It is very annoying to lose all my speed and be close to stationary because a car driver will not pull out. Especially if I'm about to reach an incline.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
That article perfectly encapsulates the problem with cycling in urban Britain.

If you're going straight ahead where the fook are you supposed to ride?

Eh? The same place you'd position yourself if you were in a car, as you should anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eh? The same place you'd position yourself if you were in a car, as you should anyway.

Well yeah, but there's hardly the room its not exactly conducive to safe cycling.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It's difficult - with my roadie/London commuter hat on I don't have an issue with that particular layout. On my shopping bike I might feel differently.

The problem with the layout may not even be in that photo, but slightly further back - any sort of cycle lane would be on the left, which may encourage cyclists up the left hand side of left-turning vehicles ("Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer. Highway Code rule 63", except when they put you in the absolute worst place for anyone to be). There probably isn't the need for that filter, and a proper reconfiguration into a simple crossroads with ASLs (without feeder lanes) and priority lights might help.

I'd be interested to know if there's a particular problem at that junction that this trial might help solve, or whether it's been picked as it's safe anyway...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It must be a minority as I can't even remember ever seeing a cyclist skip a red light.

But whilst people are moaning, I shall have a different moan. When I'm riding my bike and I slow down to let a car out, just go. It is very annoying to lose all my speed and be close to stationary because a car driver will not pull out. Especially if I'm about to reach an incline.

I agree with both points. Many cyclists seem to slow down and stop at lights by pedestrian crossings. And I used to try and let motorists out at junctions, but they would invariably stare at me dumbfounded and not move, so I've since given that up.

As an aside, I would like to make the case that NO ONE looks good in lycra:

SMUGGLERS-620x349.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here