Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists who ride on the road and ignore traffic lights

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think instead of weekly we have a daily 'oooh cyclists are bad and I'm perfect thread'.

That way even the people who just hammer on the keyboard with their knuckles will also be able to get their point across.

Then, who knows, in a couple of years NSC might be able to move on.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The thing that annoys me most about cyclists is when they ignore cycle lanes. The council have spent a criminal amount of money on cycle lanes yet I frequently see cyclists on the road ignoring them, particularly in the grand parade area.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The thing that annoys me most about cyclists is when they ignore cycle lanes. The council have spent a criminal amount of money on cycle lanes yet I frequently see cyclists on the road ignoring them, particularly in the grand parade area.

Those cycle lanes are a mess. Much easier to cycle on the road.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
So how exactly does the behaviour of others justify or excuse the poor behaviour of cyclists? It's just not relevant.

If I steal something, it can't be justified or excused by other people doing it.

When was the last time you saw a thread on here started by a bike rider complaining about a car driver running a red light?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
When was the last time you saw a thread on here started by a bike rider complaining about a car driver running a red light?

Let's be honest. Most people have never seen a car driver go through a red light, unless it's just after it's changed from amber. It would be too dangerous. Whereas most people whether on foot or any mode of transport have seen a cyclist drive through a red light as if it isn'there. Either way, it remains irrelevant to justify the poor behaviour of cyclists by the behaviour of other road users.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The thing that annoys me most (as a London cyclist) about cyclists jumping red lights is those that 'sort of' do. There are junctions where some cyclists will roll through the lights before stopping as there are vehicles coming across them. From where they stop they can no longer see the lights, so don't know when they've changed. This means that instead of being ahead of the traffic and moving before vehicles come up behind them they are still stationary when the vehicles catch them up, entirely defeating the point of going through lights in the first place, and actually making it more dangerous for themselves.

IF you are going to jump lights on a bike (which you shouldn't, and is illegal - and I've seen cyclists pulled over for doing so) you should at least do it in a way that is safe for you and others around you. These are the same circumstances where doing so in a car would also be safe for everyone, but at lower speed and with a lot less weight behind you.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Let's be honest. Most people have never seen a car driver go through a red light, unless it's just after it's changed from amber.

Which is still jumping the lights, your not supposed to speed up when it gets to amber to try and get through before the lights turn red. Yet, as we all know, most drivers do that very thing as a matter of course.

It would be too dangerous. Whereas most people whether on foot or any mode of transport have seen a cyclist drive through a red light as if it isn'there. Either way, it remains irrelevant to justify the poor behaviour of cyclists by the behaviour of other road users.

Very true as well I despair of the number of people I see riding through lights. You only have to get it wrong once and you are a dead. Your last line is correct, but when so many people behave so aggressively towards cyclists it tends to make you argue back. I have yet to see a thread started by a cyclist going on about someones dangerous driving, yet it happens all the time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You shouldn't have that decision to make, if you didn't want the cycle lanes you should have protested against them, now you have them you have a responsibility to use them.

You are being very stupid. The council proposing to build new cycle lanes is a good thing that I am sure everyone get behind. Who is going to protest that idea? However, if once they are built they are not fit for purpose, why should people have a 'responsibility' to use them. Do you have a responsibility to use everything that has been built that you did not protest against? That would be ridiculous and impossible.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Only thing that annoys me about cyclists is those that ride in the middle of the road for no reason.

another annoying thing is motorcyclists, the amount of times I've almost knocked one of them over as they weave in and out of traffic, they shouldn't be allowed to overtake cars

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
You shouldn't have that decision to make, if you didn't want the cycle lanes you should have protested against them, now you have them you have a responsibility to use them.

Millions of pounds already spent, millions more to be wasted on the daftest one yet (Edward street) and they are being ignored. No wonder people have mixed emotions about cyclists

Jimmy Skaville - pedestrian, motorist and occasional cyclist.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Only thing that annoys me about cyclists is those that ride in the middle of the road for no reason.

another annoying thing is motorcyclists, the amount of times I've almost knocked one of them over as they weave in and out of traffic, they shouldn't be allowed to overtake cars

There are many reasons why someone might be cycling in the centre of the road - if cars are parked on the road it's safer to cycle at least a door's-width away from them. There may be potholes, manhole covers or other road defects that need to be avoided. The road could be too narrow for motor vehicles to safely overtake. There could be a lot of side roads that other vehicles could be coming in or out of.

Why should motorbikes not be allowed to overtake cars? If you keep nearly hitting other road users maybe you should take a look at your driving.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Maybe you should contact you MP about it. Until it is unlawful to cycle on the road, cyclists have every right to us it. I'm sure there are roads, or parts of roads that you've never driven on as they don't go where you need them to. Did you protest against them?

D

Deleted member 18477

There are many reasons why someone might be cycling in the centre of the road - if cars are parked on the road it's safer to cycle at least a door's-width away from them. There may be potholes, manhole covers or other road defects that need to be avoided. The road could be too narrow for motor vehicles to safely overtake. There could be a lot of side roads that other vehicles could be coming in or out of.

Why should motorbikes not be allowed to overtake cars? If you keep nearly hitting other road users maybe you should take a look at your driving.

It's not just motorcyclists or cyclists is it...

A lot of Motorcyclists are an f-ing liability though. The majority... always undertaking!!!

I rarely see a motorcyclist drive the correct way... Waiting for a car to pull into the middle lane before overtaking on a motorway. No that's too simple isn't it... Instead they undertake in between the middle lane and fast lane. Utter stupid idiots!

Same goes for a minority of car users though. When will people learn undertaking is a seriously dangerous move for everyone in close proximity.

And then we're all meant to feel sad when they cause an accident? 'Oh at least you're not involved bla bla'

I feel incredibly sorry for the ones who weren't the cause yes! The ones that cause these kind of accidents well.... No of course I don't want someone to be hurt - but if they didn't want to possibly be hurt then maybe they should drive like they were taught?

Car users who overtake when another car is coming the other way.... I've nearly seen a car smash head on to a poor soul driving the other way because a) they can't wait 2 more mins of a journey and b) they totally under estimate the time it takes to actually overtake a car... Even one that's say doing 40 in a 60. A lot longer than you think unless you're driving a car with rapid acceleration! Overtaking over a hill is also a major issue for some... its amazing to still see people attempt it. I saw a van do it once! A van!! A bloody slow accelerating van as well! Poor sod coming the other way would have been involved in a potentially fatal accident (unless it was a lorry)...

Stay safe people. No matter what you drive!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I find the petty UK fetish with cyclists riding on the pavement or on the road, when there is a cycle path, quite bizarre. It only happens in the UK. I mean, does it really matter that much to you? If so why? Dont you have bigger issues in the UK at the moment? Why not concentrate on these? No one gives a toss about such petty nonsense here. Cyclists and pedestrians often use the same areas and both respect each other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here