Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace appoint Patrick Vieira as their new manager

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is there not the problem that most transfers are paid in installments and that Man Us 25% has to be paid at the point of sale?

So let's pretend they get £60 million but only half up front. That gives them £15million to spend. Now they can play the same installment game, maybe manage a spend of £45 million, but they still need to get 4 or 5 players with that.

And all those figures have been pretty generous.

Not pretty generous, very generous….

His current market value is 40 million, that would leave them 30 million after United take their cut…..

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The general consensus on the Palace BBS board seems to be a transfer kitty of about £80m being available.
If that is the case (and it's a massive 'if'), after signing-on fees and agents fees it will only probably get them about three reasonable players.

I would think they will be looking to pick-up some free agent players who will only require a signing on fee. Plus 2 or 3 loan players.

Fulham tried to do similar last season, but never recovered from their disastrous start.
Palace will be praying their new recruits can gel quickly and that they can sneak a few wins early.
It's going to be an interesting few weeks ahead.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Will six games be enough for us to get him the sack ??

Saturday 14th August: Chelsea (A)
Saturday 21st August: Brentford (H)
Saturday 28th August: West Ham United (A)
Saturday 11th September: Tottenham Hotspur (H)
Saturday 18th September: Liverpool (A)
Saturday 25th September: Brighton & Hove Albion (H)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I can understand why various managers have swerved the Palace job, and the fixtures is a factor. Four London derbies and Liverpool away is tough. The pressure on Vieira going into the Albion match could be huge. It could be De Boer over again.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Has a Palace manager's reign ever ended with only one match played outside of London?! :lol:

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I can understand why various managers have swerved the Palace job, and the fixtures is a factor. Four London derbies and Liverpool away is tough. The pressure on Vieira going into the Albion match could be huge. It could be De Boer over again.

Guaranteed Palace win against us then to kickstart their season! I hope not!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Guaranteed Palace win against us then to kickstart their season! I hope not!

The way this fred is panning out, GPott will be clinging on by his fingernails hoping for a point at top of table palace.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is there not the problem that most transfers are paid in installments and that Man Us 25% has to be paid at the point of sale?

So let's pretend they get £60 million but only half up front. That gives them £15million to spend. Now they can play the same installment game, maybe manage a spend of £45 million, but they still need to get 4 or 5 players with that.

And all those figures have been pretty generous.

But if he leaves on a free, they get fukk all.

I know Beaky doesn't want to be the man said to have sold Dibley at an undervalue, but take the money and run - don't run the clock down.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nuno / Favre and Viera as a 3 way management sounds brilliant to me. I’ve not seen the usual bellends here since Nuno was about to be announced… and Favre … they’ve not turned out for big Pat USA leagues finest…

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Vieira: Yes - on those terms I think I can accept.
Parish: Fantastic, Patrick. Welcome to Palace!
Vieira: You know, it's 10 years since I last played in England. I can't wait to see Selhurst. I bet it's changed out of all recognition!
Parish: Err, well you say that.....

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Even though they are our main rivals so we are biased, I think this job is a poisoned chalice with the situation they are in.
How on earth could they allow a situation whereby so many players are out of contract or heading off to collect their state pension at the end of a season.
PV May turn out to be an astute manager, but I couldn’t imagine AF or Pep doing a good job for them, unless they have suddenly come into a few bob. Piss poor management has been going on for years there, and I think they will struggle this coming season.
I give it 12 games before panic sets in and fat Sam or similar comes in to firefight.

From what I've read, the plan is to bring through all the talent in the Academy...perhaps a similar plan to ours (an older conservative manager leaves, and a younger, more progressive one takes his place). I have to confess, I'm not close enough to Palace to know how many youngsters they have who are ready for the Premier League. Perhaps they have their equivalents of Ben White, Tariq Lamptey, Robert Sanchez, Steven Alzate, etc?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

A double edged sword if things don't go well.....

a) Could Palace afford to sack him?
b) Could Palace afford not to sack him?

I'm going to buy myself some popcorn and sit back.......

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

They got rid of De Boer after 4.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sacked before the clocks go back.

It took them long enough time to find a manager to take them one from an equal start,
If they do that whilst they are trying to play catch up they will struggle to find another one before the end of the season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It took them long enough time to find a manager to take them one from an equal start,
If they do that whilst they are trying to play catch up they will struggle to find another one before the end of the season.

If things dont start well I could easily see them drag Hodgson out of his care home / cryogenic chamber to save their arses once again.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A double edged sword if things don't go well.....

a) Could Palace afford to sack him?
b) Could Palace afford not to sack him?

I'm going to buy myself some popcorn and sit back.......

Sounds like it’s time to break out my second favourite gif…

E43FE54D-9275-4D35-B9D0-792BF7760516.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here