Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace appoint Patrick Vieira as their new manager

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can I remind you of CMS, Locadia, Jahanbaksh etc, who it would seem didnt live up to their expensive price tag and probably over the top wages

Or did I imagine that?

I must have done because I keep forgetting that BHA are the model club against which all others should be compared

Find yourself a wealthy benefactor who is prepared to donate millions of pounds to the club to give them a shiny new stadium and players to get them promoted to the best league in the world and gradually climb up the table playing exciting and entertaining football that other managers praise you about, before making into Europe, while giving any other club that tries any other way to succeed the name tinpot

:)

Given the choice between our wealthy fan benefactor and your spiv owner who ripped off local businesses (including the St John's Ambulance) in order to avoid paying their debts (twice). Or your Spiv owner who used said money to bankroll the signing of the overpaid players you have now just got off your books (I love that you are seeing this colossal waste of money over the last few years as a positive - You may not be part of the spin machine but you are certainly lapping it up)

I know which I would prefer.

For the record we don't give your club the name tin pot. We give you the name 'cheats' because that is the 'other way' that you have tried to succeed.

One thing is for certain, Patrick Viera's tenure is going to be very entertaining for one of our sets of fans. If it turns out to be ours, I don't think that you will feel too bad about it because it is obvious that you will believe whatever half arsed spin your spivvy owners decide to feed you. You might even enjoy an Amazon documentary about it in a few years time.

In the meantime, we will continue to point and laugh.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Vieira is a massive gamble , as was Potter , nothing much else really to say as I loved watching him as a player.

So I kinda want him to do ok but not as much as I want him to fail .

It's a toughy .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Classic NSC.

Spend weeks baiting the lurking palace.
One finally turns up attempting to put lipstick on a pig (coincidentally the name of their architects).
They gets roundly turned on.
So thinks 'F You' and comes out swinging.
Everyone else then bundles in.

Next it will be:-

'we need to have an 'away section' and get them off the big board.

Whilst elsewhere NSC is slapping itself on the back (and rightly so) for being honest open and helpful.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Classic NSC.

Spend weeks baiting the lurking palace.
One finally turns up attempting to put lipstick on a pig (coincidentally the name of their architects).
They gets roundly turned on.
So thinks 'F You' and comes out swinging.
Everyone else then bundles in.

Next it will be:-

'we need to have an 'away section' and get them off the big board.

Whilst elsewhere NSC is slapping itself on the back (and rightly so) for being honest open and helpful.
I'd just ban them tbh.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We need an "away section" to keep non-Brighton fans off the big board IMHO

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Posters seem to forget until such time as outside becomes dark, gloomy, rainy and generally dank, hang on I need a better analogy.
Until the leaves turn brown, BHAFC are a bottom 6 club.
palace are a mid table club.

Wishing that to be different, having the acolytes constantly tell us it's different, doesn't make it different.

If palace surprise me but starting the season win one draw one, while the Albion strike out, then that's it they have their 4 point lead, which has always been insurmountable.

Some on here and t'other thread are carrying on like it's a done deal and we're romping up the league.
Are they not Albion fans!?!! :lolol:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Posters seem to forget until such time as outside becomes dark, gloomy, rainy and generally dank, hang on I need a better analogy.
Until the leaves turn brown, BHAFC are a bottom 6 club.
palace are a mid table club.

Wishing that to be different, having the acolytes constantly tell us it's different, doesn't make it different.

If palace surprise me but starting the season win one draw one, while the Albion strike out, then that's it they have their 4 point lead, which has always been insurmountable.

Some on here and t'other thread are carrying on like it's a done deal and we're romping up the league.
Are they not Albion fans!?!! :lolol:

Christ you are boring

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So after, how many years in the Premier League? You are now happy with finishing out of the bottom 3?

Is this the general feeling among your fans?

I would have thought that some of you at least would be hoping for some improvement over the last few years.

FWIW, I don't claim to be in the know at all. I quite agree that some of the debacle so far this summer may be paper talk.

I am just dubious about the credentials of your new manager to do the job required of him. Only time will tell of course, but I feel like it is going to be fun to watch.

I totally get why some of their supporters might just be happy with survival at all costs in 2021/22.

They have finished 11th, then 12th, then 14th, then 14th under Roy, but shipped an additional 16 goals last season despite his famed organisational skills. Right now, with so many out of contract they are starting the season with a back four of Kelly, Tomkins, Kouyate and Tyrick Mitchell.

With only five and a half weeks until the new season kicks off it would be incredible if Vieira could bring in enough quality to keep them up.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Not sure I agree with the analogy of putting lipstick on a pig. Tried to be realistic, and didnt intend for it to seem that I was coming out swinging. Not my intention.
I waited for an announcement before getting involved, as theres no pint trying to argue something that may not happen
I just tried to put the other side of the argument, and point out that BHA have been involved in similar issues over the years.
I dont like seeing any club struggle financially and potentially go out of business
As for the admins, Mark Goldberg bit off way more than he could chew and was out of his depth. Simon Jordan had a plan, which was working until a hedge fund got cold feet and put us in admin over a relatively small amount of money. The gang of 4 that formed cpfc2010 were no different to Mr Bloom, in that they were fans who didnt want the club to collapse, but dont have the wealth of TB. Only Steve Parish remains now, alongside 2 American investors, who probably want their money back now. Dont know about how money has been spent and/or ring fenced, and no idea about the new stand or if it will happen. Apparently the stumbling block is buying some of the land from Sainsburys, but that could just be more spin. Yes, a nice shiny new stand would be nice, but for now, we have what we have, which is an old fashioned ground, very tired around the edges, but it is home.
Sorry, I have rambled on. No idea what PV will be like, or what the playing squad will look like come the start of the season, but I hope it is a better season than the bookies predict, and that we "enjoy" a couple of games against BHA

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The best thing about his appointment is just how low down the list of their preferred candidates he must have been. :lolol:

Seventh choice after Dyche, Howe, Lampard, Nuno, Cooper, Favre? We are - quite literally - in the VIIera.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Seventh choice after Dyche, Howe, Lampard, Nuno, Cooper, Favre? We are - quite literally - in the VIIera.

Apart from the fact Dyche , Howe and Lampard were never even in the reckoning and Cooper was only paper talk, but other than that its spot on.

Vieira, took Nice one place higher in the table in his first season and one place worse in his second season than Favre, it was only in the curtailed 3rd season it went a bit wrong but they were still only 5 points off a place in Europe.

It may work or may not but I will give the man a chance.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Apart from the fact Dyche , Howe and Lampard were never even in the reckoning and Cooper was only paper talk, but other than that its spot on.

Vieira, took Nice one place higher in the table in his first season and one place worse in his second season than Favre, it was only in the curtailed 3rd season it went a bit wrong but they were still only 5 points off a place in Europe.

Yeah of course... Has Parish been spinning his web again? You lot fall for it every time.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I predict it will be a slow start but not necessarily a disaster. However for that to happen the owners will need to stick with him and that's why they may have a problem. BLoom has been very patient with potter, going through some bad results he stuck with him. If Palace are in the bottom 3 or 4 after 10 or 20 games will they stick with him. I doubt it.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah of course... Has Parish been spinning his web again? You lot fall for it every time.

As far as I know Parish hasn’t mentioned any names at all to the press or the official web site or his Twitter so I am not falling for any spin.

All you read in the press or on this forum isn’t always the truth and let’s be honest as with all football forums a lot of it is made up in someone’s head.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

If so, why not??
You've known Hodgson was leaving all season.
Why the **** hasn't Parish been talking to any and all available, experienced premier league managers?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I am expecting early season throat slitting gestures from your lovely Ultras if you start the season badly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nuno, Varve and Viera - I can see the European push they kept on about coming true this season :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Personally I think that finishing outside the bottom three has to be the pre-season aim of all but about six clubs.

As for South Norwood Barcelona's prospects this season, I can't be as optimistic as some on here. I imagine the attraction of playing for a Premier League great (that's Vieira btw, not Palace) will attract a couple of decent free agents and/or loanees, especially if he gets them signed before they see the training ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here