Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace appoint Patrick Vieira as their new manager

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It wouldn’t surprise me if they look to do a fire sale to give Viera funds. If so, I quite fancy having Van Arnolt of all their players. Al2ays been impressed with him and would fit in nicely in our squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wonder how the Palace board feel as this deal has taken best part of a week to complete, with the Evening Standard reporting only one of the eleven out of contract players voluntarily returning for pre-season testing on Friday.

Vieira has been out of English football for a long time, his contact black book will be out of date, no favours will be due to him.

Palace are an ageing side and I don't think they have that core in their mid to late twenties who could inspire the kids. Scott Dann is reported to be looking elsewhere, Townsend said he hasn't a clue where his future lies, Van Aanholt won't be back.

I think timing was everything and it will be a miracle if Vieira can survive this season. I fancy he will be out and a firefighter in his place by Christmas.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It wouldn’t surprise me if they look to do a fire sale to give Viera funds. If so, I quite fancy having Van Arnolt of all their players. Al2ays been impressed with him and would fit in nicely in our squad.

Arnolt is a free agent, and likely to sign for Inter according to media reports.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not good news for me

No doubt Palace will become very popular here in France

Quick question. If the restrictions are lifted in mid July and macron allows brits to visit…what do you think will be the reaction to British travellers from the locals in France this summer?

If things lift, we are hoping to have a couple of week in august travelling down to the Loire region and then down to the Carmarge!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Quick question. If the restrictions are lifted in mid July and macron allows brits to visit…what do you think will be the reaction to British travellers from the locals in France this summer?

If things lift, we are hoping to have a couple of week in august travelling down to the Loire region and then down to the Carmarge!

No problems at all

I haven't experienced anything negative, even during the height of the so called 'British' strain

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

To have a fire sale they need assets to sell, the only contracted asset is Zaha.
More chance of a fire without the sale.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Such a dire situation for any manager to come into. I know a few Palace fans who have listed at least 10 names between them of managers who were being interviewed over the last 6 weeks. Half a squad and historically a low spend on incoming players even for a new manager. I can see Zaha needing to be sold to raise some funds

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Isn’t that something.

The Palace manager sent a tribute to one of our own.

[tweet]854404333647126528[/tweet]

Viera [emoji3531] Hughton

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I predict that there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If he turns out to be just half the manager that he was a player, then he will be a great success.

Patrick Viera, one of the best box to box midcfield players that has ever graced the Premier League.

For potential top manager material, then, I give you Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Alan (sniffer) Clark, Billy Bremner, Wayne Rooney, Paul Gascoigne, Thierry Henri and Roy Keane.

One hopes that in 2022-23, Big Pat will be able to emulate his former foe, Keane, and storm the championship.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Even though they are our main rivals so we are biased, I think this job is a poisoned chalice with the situation they are in.
How on earth could they allow a situation whereby so many players are out of contract or heading off to collect their state pension at the end of a season.
PV May turn out to be an astute manager, but I couldn’t imagine AF or Pep doing a good job for them, unless they have suddenly come into a few bob. Piss poor management has been going on for years there, and I think they will struggle this coming season.
I give it 12 games before panic sets in and fat Sam or similar comes in to firefight.

It was the plan all along acccording to their fans. It's nothing to do with pure negligence. Proper well run club with plenty of forward thinking going on.

I bet beaky has a to do list, and ticks everything off as he does it. Might explain the delay on the new stand?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Even though they are our main rivals so we are biased, I think this job is a poisoned chalice with the situation they are in.
How on earth could they allow a situation whereby so many players are out of contract or heading off to collect their state pension at the end of a season.
PV May turn out to be an astute manager, but I couldn’t imagine AF or Pep doing a good job for them, unless they have suddenly come into a few bob. Piss poor management has been going on for years there, and I think they will struggle this coming season.
I give it 12 games before panic sets in and fat Sam or similar comes in to firefight.

Couldn’t get the green light for the pre loaded Necta card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I can see Zaha needing to be sold to raise some funds

Is there not the problem that most transfers are paid in installments and that Man Us 25% has to be paid at the point of sale?

So let's pretend they get £60 million but only half up front. That gives them £15million to spend. Now they can play the same installment game, maybe manage a spend of £45 million, but they still need to get 4 or 5 players with that.

And all those figures have been pretty generous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here