Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley Town put up for sale!!!

SLC Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hove
I doubt it.

They've just had a couple of promotions, winning for fun - that's attractive to fans. But if you wanted to buy a club and build it for the Championship or beyond, there are loads of other clubs with a history of support that would trounce Crawley's (and I mean no offence to Crawley, they're a small town without any football history, that's all).

If we've got no history what have people been watching for the last 100+ years? What you mean is no history involving silverware, which is an appalling barometer to base supporting a football club on.

History isn't all about success.

SLC Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hove
I have been waiting for this news about the sale of Crawley FC. I think it's the end of the adventure and will see them go in debt and sell off the best players and slide back to below Conference League level. They need a new pitch with drainage for next season which will probably set them back at least 100k and the ground needs at least 5 million spent to bring it up to league 1 standard. It is a shame as Sussex should have two league clubs. I hope I am wrong but things don't look good for Crawley FC.

It is a shame as Sussex should have two clubs.

I'm glad you're not my accountant. £5m to bring it up to League One standard? We play in it... in League One. Ergo, is League One standard.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hardly. I think it'll be a good thing. I just object to people writing twaddle. And that's what this thread is full of.

The club with numerous administrations behind its requires a new stadium after just 15 years because it can only half fill it's current one... There is only one person writing twaddle on this thread!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I could see this all going a bit Rushden & Diamonds.

SLC Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hove
The club with numerous administrations behind its requires a new stadium after just 15 years because it can only half fill it's current one... There is only one person writing twaddle on this thread!

What are you on? Who's advocating a new stadium? No-one that I can see.

The thread is about the Crawley buy out.

You've been spending too long sniffing the fumes down Portslade docks.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If they and the council were to invest in a new stadium with conference facilities, nothing huge maybe something in the mould of Chesterfields new ground I’m sure they could sustain league one football and attract at least 5k crowds, the norm for that level of football.

They could of course fall down to their previous level and attract sub 300 crowds, but their 10 fold attendances suggest the people of Crawley are becoming increasingly supportive of the club.

What is that old saying "Build it and they will come"

Building the Amex stadium has certainly helped Brighton attract thousands more through the turnstiles.
The stadium looks impressive, and I always have a good look at it when driving past.It certainly has a nice vibe and an aura about it,it's easy to see why people were drawn there.

The Broadfield stadium Unfortunatly doesn't have any of this.
The new stand they erected is just a giant gazebo and hardly fires people's imagination and more importantly their curiosity to venture inside to see what's its all about.I think the Amex design really excited people and managed to do all these things.

Crawley has a long football history,it's just most of it was as a non league club,still history though.We aren't ever going to get to Brightons level in support or quality of stadium,but still,we could hover around leagues One and Two with gates of 4 or 5 thousand comfortably enough.We are a growing town with the youngest proportion of young people in Sussex so this level of football is achievable.

What are you on? Who's advocating a new stadium? No-one that I can see.

The thread is about the Crawley buy out.

You've been spending too long sniffing the fumes down Portslade docks.

Do you not read threads before you post?

I guess that would make sense though in your case...

SLC Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hove
Do you not read threads before you post?

I guess that would make sense though in your case...

The only person who raised the idea of a new stadium was a Brighton fan. And the same person who thinks we were recently getting crowds of 300.

Hardly a trustworthy point of reference, but if you want to base your argument on that...

Bet it's never dull round your gaff.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only person who raised the idea of a new stadium was a Brighton fan. And the same person who thinks we were recently getting crowds of 300.

Hardly a trustworthy point of reference, but if you want to base your argument on that...

Are you being deliberately dim? You are actually agreeing with what I'm saying to the other two then, because if you used your brain for a second, you'd realise I was disagreeing with both of them!!

SLC Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hove
Are you being deliberately dim? You are actually agreeing with what I'm saying to the other two then, because if you used your brain for a second, you'd realise I was disagreeing with both of them!!

I refer you back to post #86. If you're agreeing with me, it's prob not the best course of action to directly quote me then state:

"There is only one person writing twaddle on this thread"

It's a pretty 'out there' way of thinking, but some people might think you were referencing that quoted person. As it turns out then, you were actually referencing someone you didn't quote, yet quoted me for the hell of it.

Weird.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Hmm. And your directors as well: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10312603.Crawley_in_talks_over_new_stadium/

Agree with you about your earlier 'history' point. 'History' isn't measured in silverware, Man U don't have a bigger 'history' than Preston North End just because they've won more cups.

EDIT: And quite an accurate first comment on that article as well (by the standards of Argus comments)

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

I didn't say recently, 10-15 years ago it wasn't unusual for Crawley to get crowds in the low/mid 100's.

As for the stadium I suggested Crawley could benefit from a new stadium but more for the non match day commercial benefits.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just read that Brighton lost over £9 million in their first seaon at the Amex,keep that up and your soon be in trouble.

Yawn.

Travel Levy imposed.
Income from 8000 extra seats.
Booting out Azure to get a bigger cut of catering revenue.
Massive AMEX shirt sponsorship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here