Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley Town put up for sale!!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Will be a lot of interest in Crawley I'd imagine, despite what people say on here their crowds are respecstble, have Zero debt and a very supportive local council. If someone invests in a new stadium with non match day facilities they will thrive and are easily capable of pushing for 10k averages. Good luck to them

They average about 3000 in League One, have a capacity of nearly 6000, and bar and social facilities already at the stadium - what investment are you talking about that is suddenly going to treble their gates and make them thrive!? Where are they going to get the money for it? The owners are selling for a reason, and it's because they've realised, like a house in a particularly area, no matter how much you tart it up, how big you make it, it will reach a ceiling for that area.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
They average about 3000 in League One, have a capacity of nearly 6000, and bar and social facilities already at the stadium - what investment are you talking about that is suddenly going to treble their gates and make them thrive!? Where are they going to get the money for it? The owners are selling for a reason, and it's because they've realised, like a house in a particularly area, no matter how much you tart it up, how big you make it, it will reach a ceiling for that area.

As the saying goes you can't polish a turd:clap:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
"Stuck like a tick in the London suburbs "
Crawley's no more, and perhaps less, it's own urban hub, and no further out of The Smoke, perhaps closer, thanks to the M23, than Guilford, or Slough, or Hemel Hempsted, or Basildon... It's as much London in its human geography as they are, whatever independence its market-town antecedents suggest.

I'm guessing it's not as nice as Chantilly, Virginia (Dulles International) -- but Chantilly's DC, and not the Shenandoah Valley, despite what the odometer says.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Crawley's no more, and perhaps less, it's own urban hub, and no further out of The Smoke, perhaps closer, thanks to the M23, than Guilford, or Slough, or Hemel Hempsted, or Basildon... It's as much London in its human geography as they are, whatever independence its market-town antecedents suggest.

I'm guessing it's not as nice as Chantilly, Virginia (Dulles International) -- but Chantilly's DC, and not the Shenandoah Valley, despite what the odometer says.

You've been in the states for too long, apart from Basildon maybe no one ever thinks of those towns as part of London !

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I paid £16 for a standing ticket this week at Barnet v Fleetwood and £20 a fortnight or so ago at Cowdenbeath v Partick Thistle, so £20 seems far to watch league 1 football,

But 3000 crawley fans , do pay £20 per game..
Crawley is full of foreigners, i mean full. council benefit types and people who just don't support there local club!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly (for them) their arrival in the big time coincided with a £100 million pound stadium opening 20 miles down the road. ...
Indeed. If they'd enjoyed their current level of success whilst we were playing at Withdean (or even Gillingham) I reckon their support would have been much higher, hell they'd even be higher up the pyramid than we were for quite a time during 'the wilderness years'. I wonder if people would have been quite so dismissive of their potential threat to our fanbase then?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Sussex, or London? It's a real needle they have to thread. They're maybe closer in miles to Brighton than London, but to all intents and purposes, they're located in a London suburb. Hell, to the big world, Gatwick's synonymous with London, and it's in Crawley. They're not really a London club, despite being stuck like a tick in the London suburbs. And there's probably too much, or perilously close to too much, London football as it it. How many League teams are there inside the M25? How many of them hang by a thread?

Crawley's not a London suburb. It's not even a dormitory town for London (like say, Haywards Heath or East Grinstead). What it is and what makes it perhaps unique in Sussex is a prosperous working class town with a high population of ethnic minorities.
I have to say i love these threads, the level of ignorance about Crawley is always entertaining.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You've been in the states for too long, apart from Basildon maybe no one ever thinks of those towns as part of London !
I do believe Mr Cathedra has been in the States all his life as he is a born and bred American.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Personally I have softened on them since Steve Evans left. No bad thing to have another League team nearby if we can develop a mutually beneficial relationship with them for the purposes of loaning out players and giving them first refusal on anyone who hasn't quite made it with us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will never forget that blacked-up Crawley supporter celebrating on the pitch when they got promoted.

Dandyman

In London village.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Crawley's demographics are here: http://www.crawley.gov.uk/pw/web/int010668

Which "large proportion" don't care for football ?

The date of that is from 2001.
The demographics have changed dramatically in 12 years.
The latest research shows Crawley having 78% of the population being White British.
Of course, we have always had a large aian population, and like most of the rest of the county the last 5 years has seen a significant increase of people fom all over the world.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Good luck to them, could prove to be a good thing as it would erase their debt and get the club a bit of cash to spend - there are worse clubs to buy after all !!

They dont/wouldnt ever impact on us and i cant see them getting promoted to the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here