Crawley Town put up for sale!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
I had a meal in ja Hoi and thought it was overrated. Granted it's a busy place and gets good reviews..

Funny you should mention the Ram club. Have you read last weeks Crawley News? It got a Food Hygiene Rating of 0. No one knows if the re-furb was due to this. Saying that though the Ram club was recommended to me and i will give it a go in the future.

Crawley has a lot of Indian restaurants and the vast majority are poor. My local Indian is the Zari.

Two of the worst pubs in Crawley do great curries. The Downsman in Southgate and the Grasshopper in Tilgate. Run by the same family. Great menu's, specially some of the lamb dishes.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Two of the worst pubs in Crawley do great curries. The Downsman in Southgate and the Grasshopper in Tilgate. Run by the same family. Great menu's, specially some of the lamb dishes.
The Downsman is very good. Haven't been to the Grasshopper(to eat). Most estate pubs in Crawley are shit holes. Ifield(Green) Is about the best you get and not because i live there ;-)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Good luck to them, debt free makes them a good little play thing for a rich local buisness man. Maybe Mr Bloom could buy them and they could be our development squad !

Well actually this was the case, until Crawley stopped their youth development programme earlier in the season and released the youngsters.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009

I hear the Downsman is good and worth a trip not sure about the grasshopper though.
I don't think they are two of the worst pubs though,the grasshopper or formally the Hoppers could be a nightmare on a Friday and Saturday night, but I believe has calmed down since the Indian owners took over.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
I hear the Downsman is good and worth a trip not sure about the grasshopper though.
I don't think they are two of the worst pubs though,the grasshopper or formally the Hoppers could be a nightmare on a Friday and Saturday night, but I believe has calmed down since the Indian owners took over.

As per the previous comment, most Crawley neighbourhood pubs are pretty awful. I would like to hear what you think are the worst (the Dalston i,m guessing and the Samual Jonhnson).
The service at the Grasshopper was immense. The owner even popped out to buy a range of ice creams to satisfy the two children who were with us. For starters, mains, dessert and drinks it was about £10 a head. We had one of the back rooms to ourselves.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well actually this was the case, until Crawley stopped their youth development programme earlier in the season and released the youngsters.

Oh dear punching above their weight and the 1st thing they do is scrap the yoof dev team meaning no gems coming thru to sell on

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
As per the previous comment, most Crawley neighbourhood pubs are pretty awful. I would like to hear what you think are the worst (the Dalston i,m guessing and the Samual Jonhnson).
The service at the Grasshopper was immense. The owner even popped out to buy a range of ice creams to satisfy the two children who were with us. For starters, mains, dessert and drinks it was about £10 a head. We had one of the back rooms to ourselves.

The pub in Bewbush was called the Dorsten(not Dalston)and was pretty darn rough.It was closed and eventually knocked down a few years ago now,much to the relief of people on the estate who lived nearby and of course the police.
The Samual Johnson is in Langley Green and I haven't been in there for 20 years,back then it used to have some pretty menacing customers.That parade at night is now looked after by the Asians.

The windmill in Gossops green is a proper estate pub and the Imperial in Broadfield was and is as rough and menacing as you want it to be.

Blimey, these are just a few of the pubs on the estates and I would agree most are not great.I would imagine the town centre pubs are pretty similar,especially on a Friday Saturday.
There are however some nice pubs,a few anyway.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
They average about 3000 in League One, have a capacity of nearly 6000, and bar and social facilities already at the stadium - what investment are you talking about that is suddenly going to treble their gates and make them thrive!? Where are they going to get the money for it? The owners are selling for a reason, and it's because they've realised, like a house in a particularly area, no matter how much you tart it up, how big you make it, it will reach a ceiling for that area.

If they and the council were to invest in a new stadium with conference facilities, nothing huge maybe something in the mould of Chesterfields new ground I’m sure they could sustain league one football and attract at least 5k crowds, the norm for that level of football.

They could of course fall down to their previous level and attract sub 300 crowds, but their 10 fold attendances suggest the people of Crawley are becoming increasingly supportive of the club.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
You've been in the states for too long, apart from Basildon maybe no one ever thinks of those towns as part of London !
perhaps he means a london satellite rather than a suburb

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

the downsman is a great pub and superb food, the Grasshopper is decent for functions, had my 40th there back in jan. Good value.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Will be a lot of interest in Crawley I'd imagine
I doubt it.

despite what people say on here their crowds are respecstble
They've just had a couple of promotions, winning for fun - that's attractive to fans. But if you wanted to buy a club and build it for the Championship or beyond, there are loads of other clubs with a history of support that would trounce Crawley's (and I mean no offence to Crawley, they're a small town without any football history, that's all).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I like the situation of having 2 league clubs in Sussex. Good luck to them for the future.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Oh dear punching above their weight and the 1st thing they do is scrap the yoof dev team meaning no gems coming thru to sell on

Sadly this makes perfect commercial sense. When you look at the screwed compensation deal the premier league have pushed through, there is little in it for clubs only able to finance small scale youth academies. The compensation available if they produce the next Messi is a pittance. I think we will start to see more academic tie ups, clubs working together with colleges and universities to develop young players. This shifts the cost from clubs to parents and at least means that those who don't make the grade have the chance to grab a formal qualification.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If they and the council were to invest in a new stadium with conference facilities, nothing huge maybe something in the mould of Chesterfields new ground I’m sure they could sustain league one football and attract at least 5k crowds, the norm for that level of football.

They could of course fall down to their previous level and attract sub 300 crowds, but their 10 fold attendances suggest the people of Crawley are becoming increasingly supportive of the club.

The Broadfield is only 15 years old!!! It's a decent enough stadium with reasonable modern facilities. Why on earth do you think they need a completely new stadium when it's only ever half full? ???

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
The Broadfield is only 15 years old!!! It's a decent enough stadium with reasonable modern facilities. Why on earth do you think they need a completely new stadium when it's only ever half full? ???

What is that old saying "Build it and they will come"

Building the Amex stadium has certainly helped Brighton attract thousands more through the turnstiles.
The stadium looks impressive, and I always have a good look at it when driving past.It certainly has a nice vibe and an aura about it,it's easy to see why people were drawn there.

The Broadfield stadium Unfortunatly doesn't have any of this.
The new stand they erected is just a giant gazebo and hardly fires people's imagination and more importantly their curiosity to venture inside to see what's its all about.I think the Amex design really excited people and managed to do all these things.

Crawley has a long football history,it's just most of it was as a non league club,still history though.We aren't ever going to get to Brightons level in support or quality of stadium,but still,we could hover around leagues One and Two with gates of 4 or 5 thousand comfortably enough.We are a growing town with the youngest proportion of young people in Sussex so this level of football is achievable.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I have little interest in the topic, just want to vent some frustration at that horrible Argus site and its automatically talking woman which makes me panic every time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is that old saying "Build it and they will come"

Building the Amex stadium has certainly helped Brighton attract thousands more through the turnstiles.
The stadium looks impressive, and I always have a good look at it when driving past.It certainly has a nice vibe and an aura about it,it's easy to see why people were drawn there.

The Broadfield stadium Unfortunatly doesn't have any of this.
The new stand they erected is just a giant gazebo and hardly fires people's imagination and more importantly their curiosity to venture inside to see what's its all about.I think the Amex design really excited people and managed to do all these things.

Crawley has a long football history,it's just most of it was as a non league club,still history though.We aren't ever going to get to Brightons level in support or quality of stadium,but still,we could hover around leagues One and Two with gates of 4 or 5 thousand comfortably enough.We are a growing town with the youngest proportion of young people in Sussex so this level of football is achievable.

A long history of going under as well, and not just the once!

With logic like this it's hardly surprising.

SLC Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hove
The pub in Bewbush was called the Dorsten(not Dalston)and was pretty darn rough.It was closed and eventually knocked down a few years ago now,much to the relief of people on the estate who lived nearby and of course the police.
The Samual Johnson is in Langley Green and I haven't been in there for 20 years,back then it used to have some pretty menacing customers.That parade at night is now looked after by the Asians.

The windmill in Gossops green is a proper estate pub and the Imperial in Broadfield was and is as rough and menacing as you want it to be.

Blimey, these are just a few of the pubs on the estates and I would agree most are not great.I would imagine the town centre pubs are pretty similar,especially on a Friday Saturday.
There are however some nice pubs,a few anyway.

This is silly. It's like me picking all the worst pubs in Hove and pretending they're the only ones there. Is there actually any difference between the Imperial and the Hove Park Tavern? Not as far as I can see.

And would I actually rather spend a night in Crawley town centre, or in The Stoneham or The Ancient Mariner (my locals)? It'd be a close run thing.

Some cracking boozers in Crawley, and some rubbish ones. Just like in Brighton, and Hove.

SLC Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hove

Sub 300 crowds? Must have missed that. Either that or you'll referencing football attendances pre 1970.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports