Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom speaks...

Although I'm slightly troubled balancing the last few days with the (in hindsight) feint praise given to Oscar By bloom and Barber at the end of April.

Ironic as that was interpreted widely at the time as a big vote of confidence in Oscar

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So what would you have asked him about Burke?

Once Bloom makes it clear Burke is his man, there isn't much else to ask. He backs him, that's it. That faith may be vindicated, it may come back to haunt him - but if overall you back TB (and overwhelmingly we do) then you have to go with his judgment.

Recruitment is the one area I feel may not be working as well as it could. Don't know if that is personalities, structure, bit of both - but I do also believe that if Bloom starts to feel either the roles, accountability or people aren't working, however much he has nailed his colours to the mast on it, he will change it for the good of the club. Hopefully that won't be necessary and it will come good.

And in a few years we are likely to have a stream of good young players to throw into the mix, which could be another new dawn for this club.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Maybe it was Oscar neither being in his office nor answering his phone on transfer deadline day.

That would be "difficult to communicate with" I imagine.

I think the communication issues were key its felt like since christmas the team didnt know what to do may be all season. I just felt that something wasnt right at the club. OG was pissed off we missed out in january and important players were sold and not adequately replaced. Ultimately i never really warmed to garcia and it seems that the board felt the same way and the parting of the ways was good for all concerned. Sadly i dont feel any sense of lose with the end of season departure of garcia as i did with poyet. Glad we will have a new manager who hopefully will inject some passion back into a team that although finished 6th seemed strangley lost to me certainly in the second half of the season. In all honesty happy with the 3 b,s in charge and looking forward to an exciting close season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Much better the new manager is totally on board with any new signings, so best to wait a few weeks. In any case, nothing much happens in May /June.

I don't disagree its probably best if the manager has the final say but it seems a bit odd to track players, some of them for months if not years, and potentially let them slip away whilst this remains unresolved.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I thought things were moving along much too slowly. It was like his ideas weren't being communicated.
I don't know whether the lack of progress on the pitch was down to Oscar or down to bad luck with injuries and even our "best" players like Buckley, Kooshack and Orlandi not being as good as our rivals...

What has been refuted in the Oscar Argus interview? Anyone?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe it was Oscar neither being in his office nor answering his phone on transfer deadline day.

That would be "difficult to communicate with" I imagine.

Ummm, this is pretty key, I'd have thought. Not being contactable on transfer deadline day goes beyond being difficult to communicate with and enters WTF territory....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
His "nobody else was interested in him" comment regarding Bridcutt makes me think he wasn't overly happy how that particular transfer went down....

Who would be happy with the way it happened?

Bridcutt clearly wanted to join Poyet. The Albion wanted him to give 100% all the time he was still here which he plainly didn't. I don't blame Tony Bloom for having a thinly veiled pop at him so all credit to TB for showing restraint.

As it turned out, Bridcutt was sold for 'easily a club record fee' so some good came out of it-especially with the emergence of Ince to take his place to the point that we haven't missed Bridcutt anywhere near as much as we all expected.

He is still learning as chairman but The Albion is in safe hands with Tony Bloom.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I haven't had chance to listen yet as still at work, but if he feels let down by Oscar, was he asked why he recruited him in the first place? He must have impressed greatly at interview? At some point you can't just keep criticising the staff you have appointed, you have to ask yourself if you got it wrong in the first place.

And I am saying that as someone firmly in the Bloom camp.

He was asked if he's learnt from the previous two appointments; answered that he's always learning, and that he didn't regret either appointment.

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
sounds to me as if some of the recruitment issues that Oscar had were of his own doing, by

1. outlining too many unrealistic targets (problems with wage, fees etc), probably down too a lack of knowledge of English football or maybe expecting things to be similar to at Tel Aviv
2. not having any fall back targets if the main ones fell through (eg Grabban)

this would explain why some signings clearly had Burke and NJ written all over them, eg Stephens and Andrews. As I for one was expecting another influx as Spaniards

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
NSC does make me laugh, a lot of swooning because Tony Bloom has given an interview. It's what you should be expecting really. I don't think from what he has said I am any the wiser about what the truth is. There is his side and then there is Oscar's side. No one knows the truth. It may well be somewhere in the middle. The man is a very successful poker player. It's no difference to when Gus left. No one knows the truth.

The facts are he has recruited two managers who have taken us into the Championship play offs, both therefore very successful. This suggests he knows what he is doing in recruiting a manager. What concerns me though is both managers, admitedly in different ways and styles, have then said I'm off. This suggests that Bloom isn't very good at keeping managers. The facts say this.

In the Withdean days Knight had the same problem, but at that time we had a shit ground, and a lot less money. It seems that we should be better at holding on to managers now but so far we haven't been. So something has to be wrong, or we have just been very unlucky. I hope it's the latter and our luck is about to change.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The FFP comment is the big news from that. A vote on it in 10 days, could it be scrapped?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Burke and the club are being quick. He does all the legwork of producing targets based on the what the club wants or (specifically) goes after targets wanted by the manager/head coach. TB said Oscar's targets were not available OR they were too expensive. Burke and the club can do all their homework and line up players, and talk to the agents of players, that might be available and within our budget, and when the new manager turns up they can say "You like this lot?" or "Got anyone you really fancy?" and then get to it.

The Chairman said it - player recruitment continues. That's why he's structured the club this way so that the whole ****ing shooting match doesn't collapse every time a manager flounces for whatever reason.

Not sure you've thought that one out - what if the DoF flounces ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who would be happy with the way it happened?

Bridcutt clearly wanted to join Poyet. The Albion wanted him to give 100% all the time he was still here which he plainly didn't. I don't blame Tony Bloom for having a thinly veiled pop at him so all credit to TB for showing restraint.

As it turned out, Bridcutt was sold for 'easily a club record fee' so some good came out of it-especially with the emergence of Ince to take his place to the point that we haven't missed Bridcutt anywhere near as much as we all expected.

He is still learning as chairman but The Albion is in safe hands with Tony Bloom.

That was not what Bloom said exactly. He did not mention that we did not miss Bridcutt. The nuances suggested that we missed him but we had no alternative to let him go to Sunderland, the only club that could offer him Premiership football. It was the only offer Bridcutt got.

"Despite being bottom of the table at the time." This bit is my addition.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The FFP comment is the big news from that. A vote on it in 10 days, could it be scrapped?

Even if it is, let's not start thinking the Albion are going to have a bottomless pit of money to throw at this league.

I'd imagine we will continue to be run along financially prudent lines, and quite right too.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Even if it is, let's not start thinking the Albion are going to have a bottomless pit of money to throw at this league.

I'd imagine we will continue to be run along financially prudent lines, and quite right too.

I am sure a lot of clubs will now vote against it (assuming thats what the vote is about) having spunked a load of cash and failed to get promoted..... #comeonderby

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That was not what Bloom said exactly. He did not mention that we did not miss Bridcutt. The nuances suggested that we missed him but we had no alternative to let him go to Sunderland, the only club that could offer him Premiership football. It was the only offer Bridcutt got.

"Despite being bottom of the table at the time." This bit is my addition.

Not missing Bridcutt was my personal opinion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here