Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom speaks...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It's almost as if Naylor's article yesterday only presented a very skewed version of the story. Who'd have thought it?

To be honest, any interview with one person only will present a skewed version whether it's a departing football manager, sibling argument or divorce. The interview today is superb and Bloom comes across very well. A good leader answering questions in an honest manner . He should speak more.

Although I'm slightly troubled balancing the last few days with the (in hindsight) feint praise given to Oscar By bloom and Barber at the end of April.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I told everyone Oscar wasn't the man for the job but nobody listened, I just wonder whose bright idea it was to give him the job without finding these sort of things out ?

I think we can be certain that you'll be saying the same about the new one when he arrives, seeing as you've said it about every manager we've had since you first joined NSC. Maybe you should start a "new manager out" thread now, get the ball rolling :lolol:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The only thing I didn’t like was that no new signings until new manager in place. We need to be quick with the manager as targets will soon start to disappear. Seems bizarre to track a player and let him slip away.

Much better the new manager is totally on board with any new signings, so best to wait a few weeks. In any case, nothing much happens in May /June.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not really. Easy to see how they rated his football credentials so highly that they were willing to give him time to improve his communication skills in English. Shame it never happened.

When he said "difficult to communicate with" I doubt very much he was talking about his capability to converse in English. We all saw that Oscar was a very quiet and reserved type, seemed to be very much a private man and didn't like to be in the spotlight. Almost the opposite of what you might expect in a successful Manager/Coach

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Sounds like both parties had a few issues with each other and a parting of the ways was therefore in the best interests of both.

So much more classy than last seasons debacle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The financial fair play meeting and the statement that ‘This could impact the budget depending on the outcome’ Will he throw more cash at it if FFP is deemed to be a busted flush?

Whether a busted flush or a movement of the goalposts, if the FFP rules allow a bigger loss, it will be very interesting to see TB's reaction.

I suspect he would be conflicted: he wants to club to be self-sustaining = no movement in loss acceptable to him; but, he's a fan and wants promotion = he'll fund the bigger losses up to the new FFP limit. My bet would be that the latter would win out...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
A few interesting bits

The confirmation of the Grabban story. Not so much that he went back to Bournemouth for a envelope of £50 notes - we knew that but the suggestion that Oscar seemed to have bet the house on that one particular individual. I always had him as more pragmatic that that.

The financial fair play meeting and the statement that ‘This could impact the budget depending on the outcome’ Will he throw more cash at it if FFP is deemed to be a busted flush?

The only thing I didn’t like was that no new signings until new manager in place. We need to be quick with the manager as targets will soon start to disappear. Seems bizarre to track a player and let him slip away.

Burke and the club are being quick. He does all the legwork of producing targets based on the what the club wants or (specifically) goes after targets wanted by the manager/head coach. TB said Oscar's targets were not available OR they were too expensive. Burke and the club can do all their homework and line up players, and talk to the agents of players, that might be available and within our budget, and when the new manager turns up they can say "You like this lot?" or "Got anyone you really fancy?" and then get to it.

The Chairman said it - player recruitment continues. That's why he's structured the club this way so that the whole ****ing shooting match doesn't collapse every time a manager flounces for whatever reason.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When he said "difficult to communicate with" I doubt very much he was talking about his capability to converse in English.

Maybe it was Oscar neither being in his office nor answering his phone on transfer deadline day.

That would be "difficult to communicate with" I imagine.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Chairman said it - player recruitment continues. That's why he's structured the club this way so that the whole ****ing shooting match doesn't collapse every time a manager flounces for whatever reason.

Yep. Which is perhaps the single biggest reason many clubs have a DoF (or whatever).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't get me wrong I agree and support Bloom entirely - I just don't feel that I got all the answers I personally was looking for. Particularly when related to Burke...

So what would you have asked him about Burke?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
When he said "difficult to communicate with" I doubt very much he was talking about his capability to converse in English. We all saw that Oscar was a very quiet and reserved type, seemed to be very much a private man and didn't like to be in the spotlight. Almost the opposite of what you might expect in a successful Manager/Coach
The "quiet man" style seems to work fairly well for Oscar and was obviously acceptable to Bloom at the selection stage.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I told everyone Oscar wasn't the man for the job but nobody listened, I just wonder whose bright idea it was to give him the job without finding these sort of things out ?

If only Tony'd listened to the pantomime horse...... rear end of course.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The "quiet man" style seems to work fairly well for Oscar and was obviously acceptable to Bloom at the selection stage.

I thought things were moving along much too slowly. It was like his ideas weren't being communicated.

It's almost as if Naylor's article yesterday only presented a very skewed version of the story. Who'd have thought it?

Well you certainly thought that yesterday and said so - what has been factually disproved then in the light of this interview? (haven't had time to listen to it all)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I haven't had chance to listen yet as still at work, but if he feels let down by Oscar, was he asked why he recruited him in the first place? He must have impressed greatly at interview? At some point you can't just keep criticising the staff you have appointed, you have to ask yourself if you got it wrong in the first place.

And I am saying that as someone firmly in the Bloom camp.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
So pleased to have a chairman that knows when to communicate with the fans, and equally when not to.

Well thought out considered replies that make a lot of sense.

Let's make sure that when we go up we go up with everything in place and in Tony I know we have the man who will die trying to make that happen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, well, well.

That puts my discussion with [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] this morning in to a little more focus. REALLY good to see TB rubbishing that Naylor story. I had been worrying that because they hadn't that there was a deal of substance to it. Clearly there isn't. This is what I was really on about this morning, that there was a story out there that Garcia had wanted to bring in his own players that hadn't been smacked down. It has now.

The rest of it is encouraging. I'm GLAD he's pissed off with Oscar. I'm GLAD he comes over as a fan, albeit an incredibly intelligent one. The short list and the fact we are actively monitoring players but leaving the actual recruitment till after the new man comes in is also encouraging. There are definite signs of 'lessons learned' when it comes to recruiting a first team boss.

The Grabban thing still intrigues me. While we lost out to a higher bid the time gap between the medical and Bournemouth's increased bid is not really mentioned. I'm still amazed the Bournemouth have a wage structure that allows them to do that.

Overall very encouraging though. I and many others will be feeling a lot better than we did this time yesterday and, yes, that IS important.

UTA :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here