Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom speaks...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
His "nobody else was interested in him" comment regarding Bridcutt makes me think he wasn't overly happy how that particular transfer went down....

Really ? i thought he meant he was bloody delighted we got a fortune for him when no one else was interested.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Nothing to see hear..............Tony seems to have everything in hand.

I will not be sitting on NSC awaiting news on recruitment of managers and players in the coming days.

I can’t see any recruitment of players happening until the manager is on board, this will provide clarity that the new manager has a say. The only exception would be if a player becomes available that would be too good for the club to turn down.

Regarding the release list, this had to happen now and will enable Tony to formalise his budget on playing side for next year.

That budget will only be fully determined following the FFP meeting in ten days.

In conclusion, nothing will happen regarding new players until the manager is in place, the budget is formalised and the transfer window opens. This will be next week at the very earliest.

I’ll take a break for a while.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Head Hunting

I would have tried to ask if he might approach (head hunt) Managers who have not actually applied for the job?

Press reports say the people who applied would be looked at first.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very good interview, maybe Bloom's best to date given the tricky subject matter, and probably should have been the first club response.

He cares, admits to learning from experiences with different managers. Garcia was difficult to communicate with, that much is certainly true. But even people who don't go round shouting the odds have things that are important to them privately.

Although he ignored the early and direct question of why Garcia had gone, the answers pretty much came out later. And a lot of the behind-the-scenes tensions on recruitment were confirmed.

Garcia will blame the club, they will blame him, that's natural. Sounds like OG was especially disappointed that Grabban couldn't be got over the line on terms, and that there were others on his list that were instantly dismissed as being too expensive on fees/wages, or clubs not willing to sell.

If the ludicrously dubbed 'hysteria' (ie asking a few questions) has dragged that illuminating interview out of Bloom, maybe we should have more of it.

May 18, 2013
Very good interview and I am happy with everything he says apart from being happy with David Burke. In my opinion, he failed to bring in the right players last season and has to be accountable.

But if the final say was Oscar's then it would have been difficult to get the players in if Oscar wasn't communicating

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
17 minutes of pretty much nothing.....

Absolutely unfair and just plain untrue, IMHO. And I think I'm been pretty scathing generally about club since the weekend.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Really ? i thought he meant he was bloody delighted we got a fortune for him when no one else was interested.

Oh absolutely, I agree with that completely - we got our record transfer fee for a player who didn't want to be here. The "no one else was interested" comment just seemed a bit unnecessary and out of character for Bloom.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A few interesting bits

The confirmation of the Grabban story. Not so much that he went back to Bournemouth for a envelope of £50 notes - we knew that but the suggestion that Oscar seemed to have bet the house on that one particular individual. I always had him as more pragmatic that that.

The financial fair play meeting and the statement that ‘This could impact the budget depending on the outcome’ Will he throw more cash at it if FFP is deemed to be a busted flush?

The only thing I didn’t like was that no new signings until new manager in place. We need to be quick with the manager as targets will soon start to disappear. Seems bizarre to track a player and let him slip away.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely unfair and just plain untrue, IMHO. And I think I'm been pretty scathing generally about club since the weekend.

Totally in agreement with that. You would never have got so much out of Barber.

And while I have concerns that we can't keep these people (in any organisation retaining key members of staff is very important) I have no doubt we will recruit well again. In many respects both the last two appointments have been outstanding.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Nothing to see hear..............Tony seems to have everything in hand.

I will not be sitting on NSC awaiting news on recruitment of managers and players in the coming days.

I can’t see any recruitment of players happening until the manager is on board, this will provide clarity that the new manager has a say. The only exception would be if a player becomes available that would be too good for the club to turn down.

Regarding the release list, this had to happen now and will enable Tony to formalise his budget on playing side for next year.

That budget will only be fully determined following the FFP meeting in ten days.

In conclusion, nothing will happen regarding new players until the manager is in place, the budget is formalised and the transfer window opens. This will be next week at the very earliest.

I’ll take a break for a while.

I think this is key - David Burke will continue to do the groundwork, perhaps to the point of discussing terms etc, but will probably not sign anyone until the new manager is on board. So we can do all the legwork, get agreements in principle in place and then take things from there. Not the best way to do things, but better than doing nothing until the manager is appointed.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
A few interesting bits

The confirmation of the Grabban story. Not so much that he went back to Bournemouth for a envelope of £50 notes - we knew that but the suggestion that Oscar seemed to have bet the house on that one particular individual. I always had him as more pragmatic that that.

The financial fair play meeting and the statement that ‘This could impact the budget depending on the outcome’ Will he throw more cash at it if FFP is deemed to be a busted flush?

The only thing I didn’t like was that no new signings until new manager in place. We need to be quick with the manager as targets will soon start to disappear. Seems bizarre to track a player and let him slip away.

Don't think it is a busted flush - more a moving of the goalposts (so perhaps bigger allowable losses for next year)

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Very good interview, maybe Bloom's best to date given the tricky subject matter, and probably should have been the first club response.

He cares, admits to learning from experiences with different managers. Garcia was difficult to communicate with, that much is certainly true. But even people who don't go round shouting the odds have things that are important to them privately.

Although he ignored the early and direct question of why Garcia had gone, the answers pretty much came out later. And a lot of the behind-the-scenes tensions on recruitment were confirmed.

Garcia will blame the club, they will blame him, that's natural. Sounds like OG was especially disappointed that Grabban couldn't be got over the line on terms, and that there were others on his list that were instantly dismissed as being too expensive on fees/wages, or clubs not willing to sell.

If the ludicrously dubbed 'hysteria' (ie asking a few questions) has dragged that illuminating interview out of Bloom, maybe we should have more of it.

If.

Hysterical and delusions of grandeur.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here