Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bear Grylls

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
You may be interested in this Spectator article about HTB & Alpha. It may change your outlook.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/alpha-rising/

I'd never heard of Holy Trinity Brompton, but I can remember the Alpha Course being pushed on me when I was at University. The reps 'tricked' me and several friends into attending multiple little 'suppers' which culminated in joining a larger group for an unannounced Christian talk. After this, they kept going with friendly-but-snide techniques to try to drag me in.

I would personally liken it to a cult.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Unlike you I've actually met him - at a Scouting event. He was very down to earth and great with the kids and and instilling confidence and drive into them. So what if he was in the TA SAS ? I'm sure it's tougher than anything you've done. If he inspires young people to reach for the stars then I couldn't give a toss if his programmes are 'faked'.

Feel free to list what you've done for the younger generations ? Ahhh ......

Interestingly, I’ve met him through Scouting, too and wasn’t as impressed. Yes he’s good for 10 minutes with the kids but he tried to dictate to me how his visit would be stage managed.

I was then running an event that took 24 hours for some of the kids to complete and we had 2 hours afterwards to be ready to present the medals and trophies (in other words, to work out who had won after being up for over 24 hours ourselves).

The first request was “where can his helicopter land?” The next was “can you be there to meet him?” And “can you do your presentations half an hour earlier but not tell anyone he’s going to turn up?” The answers were “work it out yourself, I’ve got an event to run”, “no” and “no”. I didn’t tell anyone he was coming but someone did!

The twunt was half an hour late for our originally planned time (glad I didn’t agree to starting early) and didn’t even have the decency to apologise. His photographer was pushing our event photographer out of the way and he then refused to endorse any of her photos (that’s his own photographer, not ours).

He then rushed off as soon as he could.

The kids loved it though :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interestingly, I’ve met him through Scouting, too and wasn’t as impressed. Yes he’s good for 10 minutes with the kids but he tried to dictate to me how his visit would be stage managed.

I was then running an event that took 24 hours for some of the kids to complete and we had 2 hours afterwards to be ready to present the medals and trophies (in other words, to work out who had won after being up for over 24 hours ourselves).

The first request was “where can his helicopter land?” The next was “can you be there to meet him?” And “can you do your presentations half an hour earlier but not tell anyone he’s going to turn up?” The answers were “work it out yourself, I’ve got an event to run”, “no” and “no”. I didn’t tell anyone he was coming but someone did!

The twunt was half an hour late for our originally planned time (glad I didn’t agree to starting early) and didn’t even have the decency to apologise. His photographer was pushing our event photographer out of the way and he then refused to endorse any of her photos (that’s his own photographer, not ours).

He then rushed off as soon as he could.

The kids loved it though :shrug:

Fair enough - I didn't arrange the event so can't comment on that side of things - just that I got a few minutes chat with him and he seemed very good and also he did an activity with my two son's and they came away beaming.

I just find it slightly weird that someone that hasn't met a person that affects their life not a single jot can slag them off so much ( I exclude politicians from that statement ).

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Ed Stafford Is the real deal only man to have walked the Amazon Even then It was the guides do the most of it

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Can I refer you to your original post when it come to insults ?
Would you care to refute any of the facts that I posted? I get it, you waded in, got massively out of your depth and are now floundering and in need of a lifeboat.

Here's one. I'll not take offence at your childish insults if you stop making them. Deal? It's ok, I won't be offended anyway.

Oh and as for my "ego', you said that there's no way I'd achieved anything like Bear, I just pointed out that I had. That's not being egotistical. It's just replying to a point of fact with other facts.

You met him and you thought he was a decent chap. Fine. Doesn't change anything I originally wrote though.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fair enough - I didn't arrange the event so can't comment on that side of things - just that I got a few minutes chat with him and he seemed very good and also he did an activity with my two son's and they came away beaming.

I just find it slightly weird that someone that hasn't met a person that affects their life not a single jot can slag them off so much ( I exclude politicians from that statement ).
He was commenting on politics on Sky News today About rebuilding businesses and positivity etc.

That's why I started the thread. It says so in the OP. Man, you're really making this difficult for yourself. [emoji23]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Happy to google you if you post your name - which I'm sure you're happy to do with an ego like that.

Missed this little addition first time sorry. My Twitter is quite obviously linked to my NSC account. If Palace fans can manage to find out who I am from that then I'm sure you can manage. :bigwave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ed Stafford Is the real deal only man to have walked the Amazon Even then It was the guides do the most of it

Nah the real deal is the Yankee Doris on Naked and Afraid one of the early ones. (gonna say Panama)
She got stitched up a treat by being left with the most incompetent lumox America has ever produced - literally.
So how she kept them both alive and didn't just slit his throat on day 1 I'll never know.

Guaranteed Trump voter too so right up there as a too notch angry boff.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I don't know if it was shown in the UK but he did a series in the States when he would take a Hollywood celeb off onto some remote island and put them through their paces.

I really had no opinion of him before this but it really was a bit of a cringe fest IMHO with about 50% activity and 50% bonding, sucking up to the person and doing a sort of Parkinson interview around the campfire. The activity part did seem fairly extreme but then you realised that these A listers are insured for tens of millions of dollars so are unlikely to be allowed to do anything that is that dangerous

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Would you care to refute any of the facts that I posted?

You posted opinion ... as I did .... not facts.

Oh and as for my "ego', you said that there's no way I'd achieved anything like Bear, I just pointed out that I had.

That isn't what I said. Go back and you'll see what I actually said was - "I'm sure it's tougher than anything you've done.". And as my post makes clear I was referring to anything he did in the SAS Reserves. I'm not sure climbing a few boulders for ukbouldering.com can be classed as 'tough' ! He's also a role model for millions of Scouts across the world - are you ?

Just strikes me that you're jealous of him making a very good living out of TV etc when you haven't.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You posted opinion ... as I did .... not facts.

That isn't what I said. Go back and you'll see what I actually said was - "I'm sure it's tougher than anything you've done.". And as my post makes clear I was referring to anything he did in the SAS Reserves. I'm not sure climbing a few boulders for ukbouldering.com can be classed as 'tough' ! He's also a role model for millions of Scouts across the world - are you ?

Just strikes me that you're jealous of him making a very good living out of TV etc when you haven't.

"Climbing a few boulders" "jealous" keep digging. [emoji23]

You really aren't doing very well here. Keep chucking the unsubstantiated insults out though. As I said, you'll struggle to offend me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here