Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bear Grylls

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
https://youtu.be/5t0mJ63Y8WM

I get that most people don't know the ins and outs of climbing. But this is the biggest pile of bullshit ever.

Check out the comments.

He's wearing approach shoes, not climbing shoes he says he goes out on his own but has a rope and lots of gear which is only useful if someone is belaying you.

He's not actually climbing (the movement of his feet and the weird hand positions are not how you climb). And the best, at the end you can see he's actually on a top rope (rope from above) that someone else has set up for him. [emoji23]

So much for going out and being a master of movement..... What a tit.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

I get that most people don't know the ins and outs of climbing. But this is the biggest pile of bullshit ever.

Check out the comments.

He's wearing approach shoes, not climbing shoes he says he goes out on his own but has a rope and lots of gear which is only useful if someone is belaying you.

He's not actually climbing (the movement of his feet and the weird hand positions are not how you climb). And the best, at the end you can see he's actually on a top rope (rope from above) that someone else has set up for him. [emoji23]

Could you climb that LlcoolJ ?

Mighty impressive if you could.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
still unsure which part of him is a fraud. Im not sure he ever claimed to be a brilliant rock climber. He seems to achieved quite a lot in my opinion Everest, SAS reservist etc etc..... Where is the fraud?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
His shows were just easy viewing

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Could you climb that LlcoolJ ?

Mighty impressive if you could.
Firstly yes, it's not very difficult at all. My son could climb it. My 73 year old Mum could have a good go and probably do it in as good style as Bear (hanging off a top rope etc). That's not taking the piss btw, she does still climb a bit.

Secondly, Bear didn't climb it. The video is a chopped together mess of shots from ground level to him on a rope, to him at the top.

That's the big issue. The film is an appalling fake.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
still unsure which part of him is a fraud. Im not sure he ever claimed to be a brilliant rock climber. He seems to achieved quite a lot in my opinion Everest, SAS reservist etc etc..... Where is the fraud?
Perhaps read the whole thread and watch the video?

Edit - Oh and summiting Everest. Yeah, only about 5000 people have done that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mount_Everest_summiters_by_number_of_times_to_the_summit

Doing it 24 times is impressive, lying about flying over it, not so much.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mears is a knowledgeable guy, who humbly passes on real skills with real stories from the wilderness. The horrible grizzly bear story from about 15 years ago is still memorable.

Never watch Grylls, he comes across as spoilt posh boy, a poseur.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Firstly yes, it's not very difficult at all. My son could climb it. My 73 year old Mum could have a good go and probably do it in as good style as Bear (hanging off a top rope etc). That's not taking the piss btw, she does still climb a bit.

Secondly, Bear didn't climb it. The video is a chopped together mess of shots from ground level to him on a rope, to him at the top.

Wow thats cool, excuse the pun. I could never do something like that if i was on piggyback and being pulled up by a motorised winch......the view would kill me! Always have admiration for climbers, even the kids who scale these walls in leisure centres.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wow thats cool, excuse the pun. I could never do something like that if i was on piggyback and being pulled up by a motorised winch......the view would kill me! Always have admiration for climbers, even the kids who scale these walls in leisure centres.
If you want to see something truly impressive and utterly terrifying then watch the Oscar winning Alex Honnold film. Free Solo.

My palms get sweaty just thinking about it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
If you want to see something truly impressive and utterly terrifying then watch the Oscar winning Alex Honnold film. Free Solo.

Yes i have seen a few similar video's. Absolutely bonkers. Beyond us mere mortals who's legs go wobbly climbing a ladder.:lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"Climbing a few boulders" "jealous" keep digging. [emoji23]

You really aren't doing very well here. Keep chucking the unsubstantiated insults out though. As I said, you'll struggle to offend me.

Not out to offend you. Just find it weird that you can be so critical of someone that has actually done some good for society - and that you've never met. Note that you still haven't addressed my points.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’ve met & know some ‘posh’ people as some have referred to Bear as . Trust me he’s not ‘posh’ he is upper middle class though . He’s done well to make the career he has , however not sure why anyone would have such a strong opinion about him to dislike him .

Seems to me there are a very small number of posters on here that seem to take offence at people that happen by chance to come from maybe more privileged backgrounds than they have . So what , everyone is different & you should not judge people based on their background or harbour some type of childish grudge against someone who may have had the great benefit of being well educated at a top private school . That’s life as they say .

In the same way you shouldn’t look down on white van drivers who perhaps don’t have a degree and who went to the local comprehensive. Again that’s life , it takes all sorts .

Personally what I admire the most is people that have come from impoverished backgrounds but have gone on to great success in their life . However I’m not jealous of anyone that has had a lot of help either .

Life’s too short .

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not out to offend you. Just find it weird that you can be so critical of someone that has actually done some good for society - and that you've never met. Note that you still haven't addressed my points.
I've been critical of him for making loads of money out of being a total fraud. That addresses your point. Sorry, what were your other points?

That I've done nothing as "tough" as him? No way Grylls could climb anything anywhere near as hard as I have. It's a fact.

Addressed.

That I've done nothing to assist underprivileged children? I have. I didn't charge for it either. Fact.

Addressed.

Please stop, you are just digging and digging and it's not pretty.

Have had a few PMs supporting me against your bullying tactics (their words not mine). You've clearly got plenty of previous for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, you've picked the wrong target this time because I don't give a toss and will happily continue to reply to your incorrect rubbish.

You wade into stuff without having a clue what you're talking about and then refuse to back down. Instead throwing insults about and being all shouty. As others have said, that's your MO.

Knock yourself out sweetie, I'm here all week. X

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I’ve met & know some ‘posh’ people as some have referred to Bear as . Trust me he’s not ‘posh’ he is upper middle class though . He’s done well to make the career he has , however not sure why anyone would have such a strong opinion about him to dislike him .

Seems to me there are a very small number of posters on here that seem to take offence at people that happen by chance to come from maybe more privileged backgrounds than they have . So what , everyone is different & you should not judge people based on their background or harbour some type of childish grudge against someone who may have had the great benefit of being well educated at a top private school . That’s life as they say .

In the same way you shouldn’t look down on white van drivers who perhaps don’t have a degree and who went to the local comprehensive. Again that’s life , it takes all sorts .

Personally what I admire the most is people that have come from impoverished backgrounds but have gone on to great success in their life . However I’m not jealous of anyone that has had a lot of help either .

Life’s too short .
You seem to have missed the point completely. His background is not the issue (although it may have relevance to his attitude). It's the fact that he's a BEARfaced liar that I have a problem with.

Or are you ok with bullshitters scamming the public?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

I haven’t climbed for donkeys years but I agree that is farcical.

As you say, it’s cut and pasted to create a fake scene that never happened.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Check out the comments.

That's what I thought.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Indeed. I still think of myself as a climber. One of my friends nailed it when he said he thought he needed to chalk up in the cinema. Astounding and quite terrifying! I could hardly watch even though I knew he made it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’ve just remembered that I should be sticking up for Bear. I’d almost forgotten that the reason for his visit to my event that I mentioned earlier was to present me with the Chief Scout’s Commendation for Good Service.

What a fine fellow he is.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I've been critical of him for making loads of money out of being a total fraud. That addresses your point. Sorry, what were your other points?

That I've done nothing as "tough" as him? No way Grylls could climb anything anywhere near as hard as I have. It's a fact.

Addressed.

That I've done nothing to assist underprivileged children? I have. I didn't charge for it either. Fact.

Addressed.

Please stop, you are just digging and digging and it's not pretty.

Have had a few PMs supporting me against your bullying tactics (their words not mine). You've clearly got plenty of previous for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, you've picked the wrong target this time because I don't give a toss and will happily continue to reply to your incorrect rubbish.

You wade into stuff without having a clue what you're talking about and then refuse to back down. Instead throwing insults about and being all shouty. As others have said, that's your MO.

Knock yourself out sweetie, I'm here all week. X

You just sound awfully awfully bitter.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
*Stuffing a sheep’s gangrenous bollock into his mouth*

“It’s no fine dining but it might just save your life”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here