Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bear Grylls

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
This.

Ultimately BG is in the entertainment business. To be honest, I think the majority of people who watch his shows realise that there is a degree of artistic licence in how the shows are put together. His programmes are good to watch and I find him quite engaging.

My daughter met him at a scouting do and thought he was great.

I don’t necessarily have an issue with his survival programmes but know enough about survival to know that he’s taking this piss. Many moons ago I spent a month in the artic playing silly buggers and learning who not to freeze to death. The instructors were Royal Mountain Leaders and basically the advice was ‘if it’s difficult then you are doing it wrong’ . Be calm, be methodical and don’t do anything to put yourself in additional danger. Basically don’t **** about. Everything that BG does in his programmes go against this. I can’t watch them for that very reason. Jumping into water at every opportunity is suicide. Shelter, water, food and fire.
Ray Mears on the other hand is the complete opposite, whilst he doesn’t eat fermented badgers anus he still manages to survive quiet happily. Granted it’s no where near as exciting as BG but is realistic.

As for the OP being pissed off with BG. I understand that. Climbing is not for the faint hearted and is dangerous. BG basically claiming to be something he’s not and so deems others achievements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Went to Eton
Proper name is Edward.
Owns an island in Wales.

Its a no for me.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
and very jealous of someone whos made a lot of money.
Some of you are very odd. I've got plenty of money thanks and am in no way jealous.

He's just a lying prick. How difficult is this for you to understand?!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Indeed. I still think of myself as a climber. One of my friends nailed it when he said he thought he needed to chalk up in the cinema. Astounding and quite terrifying! I could hardly watch even though I knew he made it.
Off the back of this thread I watched it again with my wife and son (who'd not seen it before) this evening. What a great piece of film making.

It still scares the shit out of me despite knowing that Alex is alive and well. Oh and that he and his girlfriend are now married.

She's a brave woman because he's not going to stop.......

I've lost quite a few friends to climbing accidents but I do also get the reasoning behind what seem like ridiculously, stupidly dangerous actions. Sometimes you just get that thing in your head and you have to go for it.

Friends of mine who have climbed with Alex say that they've never seen anyone with such control. He came over here a few years ago and basically walked up a lot of the most dangerous routes on gritstone.

But still. One foot slip. One hold cracking. A grain of sand on a smear. You're dead.

Crazy shit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That climbing video is absurd. Like others on here, I've done a fair bit of climbing. Mainly top roping but enough to know that video is pure pantomime.
However, I would have thought his military career is bona fide, surely he would have been roasted if he'd made that up?
I find hm quite entertaining, I liked his series about the Foreign legion and he seems to be a good influence on younger generations. Who knows? Not someone I can bring myself to get het up about.
I think LLCJ is a great poster and I often agree with him, but I'm struggling to see the big deal here?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I endorse this post. The Brand is more important than the truth for Mr Grylls.

It doesn't really matter very much. But there are people that are 100 x more impressive at what he does getting 100 x less attention. Essentially because, like most posh boys, he has the confidence baked into him to assume he's worthy of the attention he gets. And that's a bit annoying

I would add to his crimes the utterly cringeworthy episode of his series when he crawled up the backside of the nasty facist Modi.

I'm team Ray Mears.

Always team Mears over the charlatan of topic title fame.

However, there is only one original, the seed, the source....

Les Hiddins AKA The Bushtucker Man

He IS the man

377a40f4bfbcf93d017b81f06f02dc02.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That climbing video is absurd. Like others on here, I've done a fair bit of climbing. Mainly top roping but enough to know that video is pure pantomime.
However, I would have thought his military career is bona fide, surely he would have been roasted if he'd made that up?
I find hm quite entertaining, I liked his series about the Foreign legion and he seems to be a good influence on younger generations. Who knows? Not someone I can bring myself to get het up about.
I think LLCJ is a great poster and I often agree with him, but I'm struggling to see the big deal here?

Let's rewind to the reason why I started this thread. He was on Sky News today, giving advice as to how to rebuild businesses and positivity in the wake of the pandemic.

I find it offensive that a serial liar is given such airtime.

Should we all "rebuild" by becoming bullshitting scammers? I respect him as much as Grant "Michael Green" Shapps.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Let's rewind to the reason why I started this thread. He was on Sky News today, giving advice as to how to rebuild businesses and positivity in the wake of the pandemic.

Should we all "rebuild" by becoming bullshitting scammers? I respect him as much as Grant "Michael Green" Shapps.

Fair enough. I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying that he's not someone that bothers me much.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not sure the SAS confirm or deny past members.

In one of his books he goes into a lot of detail about training and selection etc. Now, I'm not saying that can't be fabricated but would the SAS not have a word in his ear if he was making it all up?

If he was fibbing it would make him less smart than the average.. I can't even finish that line :lolol::p

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Serial liar? That is a bit far. If you’re going to keep saying that can you come up with some of the things he’s lied about?

He’s never claimed to be an expert climber as far as I’m aware?

He’s admitted that some of his programmes are dramatised which is normal.

I think you have a bee in your bonnet. If he was claiming to be the very best solo climber out there then I’d understand your point to a degree but he’s simply a man who got various experience in adventure beyond the normal man that has marketed himself superbly and become very successful.

He’s done more than most in terms of adventure and positivity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here