Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bear Grylls

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Give me Ray Mears any day, I can't Bear Grylls..

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Mears cuts a whole tree down to make a spoon though..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Having read the entire thread, I’m struggling to see the lies and ‘fraud’ that BG is being accused of. It’s probably best not discussed in a huge amount of detail I suppose, for fear of getting NSC or specific posters in trouble for libel.
My second post and the YouTube video.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
My second post and the YouTube video.

It’s not really that big of a deal though, is it? Probably makes a lot for charity, doubt he needs to do it but he does. And from his previous SAS experience he knows a hell of a lot more than the laymen about survival and adventure. It’s a tv show, it’s meant to be entertaining (he’s already said it’s not completely real, you’d have to be a moron to think it is). Given how popular his various shows have been, it’s clearly good for what it is, personal taste or not. You’ll be gutted when you find out the Simpsons isn’t about a real suburbian family.

Plenty of celebs are pr**ks, maybe Bear is, maybe Bear isn’t but who really cares and who does it affect?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
BE30630D-9DA8-4413-8C98-1D543862D914.jpeg

I prefer Dani Behr :)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It’s not really that big of a deal though, is it? Probably makes a lot for charity, doubt he needs to do it but he does. And from his previous SAS experience he knows a hell of a lot more than the laymen about survival and adventure. It’s a tv show, it’s meant to be entertaining (he’s already said it’s not completely real, you’d have to be a moron to think it is). Given how popular his various shows have been, it’s clearly good for what it is, personal taste or not. You’ll be gutted when you find out the Simpsons isn’t about a real suburbian family.

Plenty of celebs are pr**ks, maybe Bear is, maybe Bear isn’t but who really cares and who does it affect?

This.

If he was blatantly trying to pass everything off as totally accurate and unedited then that would be a different thing. As it is, it’s clearly a manufactured show for entertainment purposes, presented by someone who clearly has a basis of the skills needed and is engaging as a host. Anyone who has a genuine hatred of him based on that alone clearly has issues of their own to address.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Lots of people dedicate their lives to adventure, exploration, mountaineering, climbing. They don't shout about it and most don't make much money.

Fair enough, they're not in it for the cash but mostly for the achievement of doing something amazing.

So on the one hand, lying chancers like Grylls sully those achievements by making the general public think that he is at that sort of level, when he's not.

On the other hand you have the fact that he hoovers up sponsorship which could otherwise be going to assist people who actually do hard stuff. Push the boundaries. Do things that haven't been done.

"Why be annoyed about that?" Also fair enough. But if you read my original post, that wasn't what I was annoyed about at all.

It annoyed me that he was on a national news station, being interviewed about his views on how to "build success" through the pandemic. He spouted a load of business speak nonsense and it was lapped up by the presenter because "Bear is such an inspiring guy with all his achievements etc". He's not inspiring, he's full of shit. He's the last person who should be advising struggling businesses. His business is selling lies.

Your point about his TV shows being popular is interesting. X Factor is popular, the modern day version of a freak show. Mrs Brown's Boys is popular, should I continue? And The Simpsons is an animated cartoon series so that analogy is incredibly poor.

Not sure why you're so upset that I don't like the lying dick. But hey, who cares.

It appears that showing an opinion about anything is now going to be stamped on by certain people. I feel like Yaxley-Lemon except not racist, or a ****.

I usually like your posts, you're better than this low level of attempting to defend someone who doesn't deserve it.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Lots of people dedicate their lives to adventure, exploration, mountaineering, climbing. They don't shout about it and most don't make much money.

Fair enough, they're not in it for the cash but mostly for the achievement of doing something amazing.

So on the one hand, lying chancers like Grylls sully those achievements by making the general public think that he is at that sort of level, when he's not.

On the other hand you have the fact that he hoovers up sponsorship which could otherwise be going to assist people who actually do hard stuff. Push the boundaries. Do things that haven't been done.

"Why be annoyed about that?" Also fair enough. But if you read my original post, that wasn't what I was annoyed about at all.

It annoyed me that he was on a national news station, being interviewed about his views on how to "build success" through the pandemic. He spouted a load of business speak nonsense and it was lapped up by the presenter because "Bear is such an inspiring guy with all his achievements etc". He's not inspiring, he's full of shit. He's the last person who should be advising struggling businesses. His business is selling lies.

Your point about his TV shows being popular is interesting. X Factor is popular, the modern day version of a freak show. Mrs Brown's Boys is popular, should I continue? And The Simpsons is an animated cartoon series so that analogy is incredibly poor.

Not sure why you're so upset that I don't like the lying dick. But hey, who cares.

It appears that showing an opinion about anything is now going to be stamped on by certain people. I feel like Yaxley-Lemon except not racist, or a ****.

I usually like your posts, you're better than this low level of attempting to defend someone who doesn't deserve it.

Fair enough, not wanting to fall out with anybody over something so trivial. If it weren’t for being in the fifth day of self-isolation and being bored out of my mind I wouldn’t be any where near this thread. It’s a message board, you’re posting your opinion and I’m posting mine, it’s no skin off either of our noses if we make the other agree with what we say, it’s certainly not stamping on anything. If we didn’t discuss these things this discussion board wouldn’t be good for much would it?

I’m not sure what’s low about it, I’m not really defending him just providing another side of the argument whereby perhaps there’s other people who deserve your (normally well directed) ire.

Have a good one

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This.

If he was blatantly trying to pass everything off as totally accurate and unedited then that would be a different thing. As it is, it’s clearly a manufactured show for entertainment purposes, presented by someone who clearly has a basis of the skills needed and is engaging as a host. Anyone who has a genuine hatred of him based on that alone clearly has issues of their own to address.
My word. You seem to be struggling with reading what I write rather than what you choose to think I've written.

Throw a six to start again and go to the top of the thread.

This is mostly NOT about his TV programmes.

It's about the fact that he is a liar. Please watch the YouTube video. It is incredibly fake and hideously embarrassing.

Then think "should someone so full of shit be lecturing businesses on how to survive the pandemic on a national news channel?"

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fair enough, not wanting to fall out with anybody over something so trivial. If it weren’t for being in the fifth day of self-isolation and being bored out of my mind I wouldn’t be any where near this thread. It’s a message board, you’re posting your opinion and I’m posting mine, it’s no skin off either of our noses if we make the other agree with what we say, it’s certainly not stamping on anything. If we didn’t discuss these things this discussion board wouldn’t be good for much would it?

I’m not sure what’s low about it, I’m not really defending him just providing another side of the argument whereby perhaps there’s other people who deserve your (normally well directed) ire.

Have a good one
You too. Hope the isolation goes as quickly as possible.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Accepted. However (as mentioned many times) I say what I see and I won't allow idiots and boorish fools to take over threads with their nonsense.

Perhaps your ire should be directed more at the original thread derailer. Who even when confronted with calmness and facts is still kicking off?

It's the equivalent of telling Biden to stop calling out Trump for being full of shit.

The thread is about a nonsense man and his nonsense’s and you’re surprised that it attracts other people’s nonsense, are you still watching the cricket btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Totally agree , not all the time but the vast majority of high ranking officers in the army / navy are degree educated . The basic soldiers are usually not degree educated .

There must be a good reason for that . Maybe people that have been to university are usually more capable of strategic thinking and operating under pressure , more grown up and less likely to have a meltdown .

Maybe I’m doing some people a disservice , do you agree ?

i could be wrong but don't you need to be educated to certain level ( sandhurst) to be considered officer material ...?? i'm sure you can work your way up the ranks but you would be pushing 40 to attain officer status by that route.

Siney

Jan 22, 2008
I can't really put any input into the climbing part of this thread but i can the military. Bear Grylls was in the SAS reserves, which is obviously a big achievement but lets not get it confused with 22 SAS. 21/23 SAS are the reserves of the special air service and they do a completely different selection, it isn't even comparable. It is still a challenge for a civvie to pass SAS reserve selection but for regular army its not. Both SAS regulars and reserves do the hill phase of selection but we can not compare, SAS reserve do it over 6 weekends (i think), 22 SAS do it over 3 full weeks (it use to be 5 but they ****ed off pre selection). Not only is it the hill phase shorter but the timings are slower for the reserves.

Btw SAS regular selection, that phase is to literally weed out the weak, the real selection is the jungle (this is what most you will find most 22 blokes say) which the SAS reserve don't do.... so was bear grylls in the SAS (reserves) yes.. was he actually SAS as you want to believe... uhhhh

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can't really put any input into the climbing part of this thread but i can the military. Bear Grylls was in the SAS reserves, which is obviously a big achievement but lets not get it confused with 22 SAS. 21/23 SAS are the reserves of the special air service and they do a completely different selection, it isn't even comparable. It is still a challenge for a civvie to pass SAS reserve selection but for regular army its not. Both SAS regulars and reserves do the hill phase of selection but we can not compare, SAS reserve do it over 6 weekends (i think), 22 SAS do it over 3 full weeks (it use to be 5 but they ****ed off pre selection). Not only is it the hill phase shorter but the timings are slower for the reserves.

Btw SAS regular selection, that phase is to literally weed out the weak, the real selection is the jungle (this is what most you will find most 22 blokes say) which the SAS reserve don't do.... so was bear grylls in the SAS (reserves) yes.. was he actually SAS as you want to believe... uhhhh

Interesting, thank you for explaining this.

Siney

Jan 22, 2008
I read that back and it seems like I am down playing SAS reserve selection, to hold down a full time job and pass their selection is extremely hard and an amazing achievement but its just not comparable to what regular SAS go through.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sometimes on food shows there is a team doing a lot of the work before the show but once you watch it, it looks like the star of the show did all the work.

A lot of American reality shows are entirely scripted.

Sean Connery actually didnt kill all those people.

And this Bear guy is probably exaggerated on a lot of different levels.

It can be hard accepting all these things and once you do, I understand that you might want to start a thread to share your frustration.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
However. You contradicted yourself in that post alone. No, I didn't call you a bully, not because I'm "not brave enough" but because I don't feel like I'm being bullied. Get it? Other people think you are a bully and that you have tried to bully them. They don't like you because of that.

Maybe if you calmed down and weren't so angry you'd have read my post properly and realised who I was referring to when I said "not brave enough". Very intrigued to know who these people are that think I've tried to bully them and that don't like me ( despite probably having never met me ).

Just to summerise, you made some statements about a person that you don't like and think is a liar. It is your OPINION. My OPINION differs. If you don't like being challenged then don't start a thread based on opinion about someone you've never met and nor someone that has ZERO affect of your life.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sometimes on food shows there is a team doing a lot of the work before the show but once you watch it, it looks like the star of the show did all the work.

A lot of American reality shows are entirely scripted.

Sean Connery actually didnt kill all those people.

And this Bear guy is probably exaggerated on a lot of different levels.

It can be hard accepting all these things and once you do, I understand that you might want to start a thread to share your frustration.

And of course the OP likes Nigella ..... who doesn't actually create or really cook the recipes you see on the screen .... she's obviously a liar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here