Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
Thanks! My veggie patch and our garden is the only 'hobby' I can keep up with these days, it works well because the kids can help out.

My rockery is currently looking like an overgrown pile of weeds and stones :( I want to rip it all out and start over again.

I don't know about you but I find it really disheartening when I look out the kitchen window and see my lovely garden in need of a few hours work and I just can't get out there and do it....

Mines looking very bare at the moment, with our poor pond in dire need of help. Its full of horrible blanket weed but also full of frog spawn...I want to empty it all out and the plants around it and start again too!!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
tedebear said:
I don't know about you but I find it really disheartening when I look out the kitchen window and see my lovely garden in need of a few hours work and I just can't get out there and do it....

Mines looking very bare at the moment, with our poor pond in dire need of help. Its full of horrible blanket weed but also full of frog spawn...I want to empty it all out and the plants around it and start again too!!
Leave the frog spawn in Tede. The frogs it will produce are fantastic at keeping slugs at bay so if you are growing any veg etc they will be better protected :)
The garden centres have smoe sles on at the moment for alpine plants so I bought quite a few to make the pond look as god as possible seeing as it has only been in for about 2 months.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
B.M.F said:
Leave the frog spawn in Tede. The frogs it will produce are fantastic at keeping slugs at bay so if you are growing any veg etc they will be better protected :)
The garden centres have smoe sles on at the moment for alpine plants so I bought quite a few to make the pond look as god as possible seeing as it has only been in for about 2 months.

yeah definiately agree re the frog spawn, its just that the blanket weed in there is atrocious!! A real eye sore, and the entire area around the pond is just pants....I don't want to upset the froggie applecart but I would like to clean it up and have a nice rockery...

might take a snap so you can see what I mean...

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:

Fortunately the bits of garden I can see from the windows are the tidy, neat parts. If we had a window on the side I'd just keep the curtains closed. lol

We've filled our pond in but right now it's just a muddy mess. I want to grass it, Paddy wants to build some wooden children's play contraption.

Our veggie/flowers is all up together the rest of the garden is a jungle. I need a few Romilly free days to get out there and do things.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
Fortunately the bits of garden I can see from the windows are the tidy, neat parts. If we had a window on the side I'd just keep the curtains closed. lol

We've filled our pond in but right now it's just a muddy mess. I want to grass it, Paddy wants to build some wooden children's play contraption.

Our veggie/flowers is all up together the rest of the garden is a jungle. I need a few Romilly free days to get out there and do things.

:lol:

I know exactly what you mean. I'd love an Arthur free day and then I could get it all done in one...

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Our frog spawn have hatched today so we should soon have frogs hopping around yay. i will upload some pics later and add them now I have dug in all the compost and top soil :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Our frog spawn have hatched today so we should soon have frogs hopping around yay. i will upload some pics later and add them now I have dug in all the compost and top soil :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just got a plot today that has been covered with tarpaulin during the winter so is weed free virtually I can start working it immediately. Have been chasing for one for ages but now must decide what I want to plant and when.

Should I get some horses s..t and dig that in immediately.

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
BensGrandad said:
I have just got a plot today that has been covered with tarpaulin during the winter so is weed free virtually I can start working it immediately. Have been chasing for one for ages but now must decide what I want to plant and when.

Should I get some horses s..t and dig that in immediately.

you're lucky to get a plot already worked on and presumably weed free as its been covered.
you can get horse manure for free as you will know, check out friday ad or free-ads.
you'll probably have to dig it all up but who cares when its free.

one note though.
DO NOT get fresh stuff, the nitrate levels will kill anything you intend to grow.
if getting maure, get stuff that is at least 1 years old.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was lucky to get one at all as I tried all the councils who had waiting lists but one directed me to a private association in Haywards Heath and they happened to have 2 plots 1 covered in tarpaulin and another open and not worked on for 3 or so months. I chose the one covered with tarpaulin.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
BensGrandad said:
I was lucky to get one at all as I tried all the councils who had waiting lists but one directed me to a private association in Haywards Heath and they happened to have 2 plots 1 covered in tarpaulin and another open and not worked on for 3 or so months. I chose the one covered with tarpaulin.

thats excellent.

i've heard of some horrendous stories about people trying to get plots.
apparently, theres a 10 year waiting list for plots in some parts of london.

how much are people on here with plots paying their councils?

ours costs £21 per year.

had to pay £5 deposit for a key to get in also.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
sure ours is 5 rods too but slighty more expensive.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whatever the price, within reason, it is good value because of the benfits of fresh veg, air and total relaxation where you can forget the world and the problems therein.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Here are a couple of pictures for you ladies and gents
finishedpond.jpg

plotandpondsite.jpg

Seedlings2.jpg

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:
:lol:

I know exactly what you mean. I'd love an Arthur free day and then I could get it all done in one...

If I were local I'd trade baby/toddler sitting with you!

Great pics BMF. I am slightly ashamed to share my garden at present but give me a week or so and I shall.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Starry said:

Great pics BMF. I am slightly ashamed to share my garden at present but give me a week or so and I shall.

Cheers Starry. Moggy is obviously having a big hand in it as well as he and I share it. I think the majority of work on it has been done in the last couple of weeks but at least 4-5 hours a day between us to get it all looking like it does now as before it was just a grass field and there was so much rubbish underneath it. You can share your pics starry as then you can feel so proud when you post what you have accomplished afterwards :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Barrel of Fun said:
:clap: Looks fantastic BMF. Considering putting myself on the waiting list for an allotment. You and Moggy have inspired me. :bowdown:
Cheers bof. We have put a hell lot of work on it and like I emntioned before it has done wonders in making my depression weigh less upon my shoulders so it is so worth doing. You will be lucky if you find a spare one going though mate as they are like gold dust now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here