Allotments

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Tom Hark said:
Bumper crop in the back bedroom this year. Just need to add the tiny glass beads now and that's the season ticket paid for :thumbsup:

hydro1webnk3.jpg

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

more halogens required then

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Tom Hark said:
Bumper crop in the back bedroom this year. Just need to add the tiny glass beads now and that's the season ticket paid for :thumbsup:

hydro1webnk3.jpg

Never thought about turning a bedroom into a herb garden. Good thinking TH:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Well done BMF - looks superb!

I've been attacking weeds today - and pondering what to do about the forthcoming snow forecasts! :annoyed:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
tedebear said:
Well done BMF - looks superb!

I've been attacking weeds today - and pondering what to do about the forthcoming snow forecasts! :annoyed:

Cheers TB

I have just secured a waterbutt and 2 watering cans on the free so it will be even better down the allotment soon :) Been building up a huge raised bed by the fence for all our fruits today which will look good once finished :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
How are everyones veggies coping with the cold snap. Just been down the allotment and the seedlings are ok but it was quite cold in the alotment. Planted strawbeery, gooseberry and Raspberry in pots in my conservatory and will keep them in there for a few days until the weather warms up a bit more :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
B.M.F said:
How are everyones veggies coping with the cold snap. Just been down the allotment and the seedlings are ok but it was quite cold in the alotment. Planted strawbeery, gooseberry and Raspberry in pots in my conservatory and will keep them in there for a few days until the weather warms up a bit more :)

Thankfully everything is still in the greenhouse, although there are two things straight in the garden - whether or not they pop up in a week or so we'll see...its been blooming freezing today!!

Pond is still playing on my mind - I've a right mind to empty it and start again (although I seem to do that every year!) spose I best wait til the tadpoles grow and hot foot it out as frogs....

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
been getting some weird and wonderful seeds on ebay this last week.
some fantastic herbs that i've never seen in this country including gingseng.

how a browse on ebay for seeds.
some excellent stuff and far cheaper than the shops and garden centers

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What happens when the weather goes from Global Warming Mode to Snow Mode in the space of a couple of days? Must wreak a bit of havoc on the allotments I'd have thought. Catching rhe plants off-guard sort of. Are they usually tough enough to cope with wild fluctuations in temperature? Or do they just die?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:
What happens when the weather goes from Global Warming Mode to Snow Mode in the space of a couple of days? Must wreak a bit of havoc on the allotments I'd have thought. Catching rhe plants off-guard sort of. Are they usually tough enough to cope with wild fluctuations in temperature? Or do they just die?

If plants are already out then bubble wrap can protect them. Most tender plants are still in the potting shed or greenhouse until the end of April though.

Wow, nice plot lads. Feel a bit jelous. My dad had an allotment up in Hollingbury (?) when I was a kid. It was like having a bit of the country side to muck about in it took me right back when Moggy mentioned seeing lizards.
THPP, dont you think you should have planted something other than brocolli ?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
yes, as yorkie says, most seedlings are too young to be outside.
plants already in allotments are probably well established ones.
a day or two like this wouldn't really affect established crops

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
been getting some weird and wonderful seeds on ebay this last week.
some fantastic herbs that i've never seen in this country including gingseng.

how a browse on ebay for seeds.
some excellent stuff and far cheaper than the shops and garden centers

Just so you know matey I bought the papyrus for the pond, Some Kiwi, Dragon Fruit, Asparagus and Rhubarb. I am trying to win a veitnamese Chilli and some more alpines forthe pond :)
Also got some fleeces from the 99p store to give the strawberries some protection and got the garden wire to go over the top.

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
Just so you know matey I bought the papyrus for the pond, Some Kiwi, Dragon Fruit, Asparagus and Rhubarb. I am trying to win a veitnamese Chilli and some more alpines forthe pond :)
Also got some fleeces from the 99p store to give the strawberries some protection and got the garden wire to go over the top.

you've got my ebay account user name and passwords.
check out my bid list and what i've bought :lolol:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
you've got my ebay account user name and passwords.
check out my bid list and what i've bought :lolol:

you have not bought the titty plants have you
tittyfruit.jpg

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
you have not bought the titty plants have you
tittyfruit.jpg

damn :dunce:
can't believe i missed that.
i'll take a cutting from yours.

maybe if i try and germinate it and cross breed it with a fuscia i'll get a hybrid of it with a pink nib to it :lolol:

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not wish to become a gardening bore but being new to having an allotment any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

My plot is classed as 5 rods (?) in the middle is an area that the association have covered in tarpaulin to stimulate the weed growth. This is bordered by an area about 6ft wide down 2 sides and 2ft wide on the other 2. With this border

I have a choice of:

1. Digging it over completely and weeding as I go , hard work and time consuming.

2. Hiring a cultivator and then picking out the weeds, a lot easier but will this just make the weeds grown more by spreading the seeds.

3. Chopping down the weeds and covering the ground with black plastic to stop weed growth. How long would that pur the area out of actuion for before I can plant vegatables.

I have bought Dy Hessayon' Vegetable and Herb Expert but feel that personal experience from people like yourselves would be the most beneficial advice.

Last edited:

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
BensGrandad said:
I do not wish to become a gardening bore but being new to having an allotment any constructive advice wouldbe greatly appreciated.

My plot is classed as 5 rods (?) in the middle is ana rea that the association have coveered in tarpaulin to stimulate the weed growth. This is bordered by an area about 6ft wide down 2 sides and 2ft wide on the other 2.

I have a choice of:
1. Digging it over completely and weeding as I go , hard work and time consuming.
2. Hiring a cultivator and then picking it the weeds, a lot easier but will this just make the weeds grown more by spreading the seeds.
3. Chopping down the weeds and covering the ground with black plastic to stop weed growth. How long would that pur the area out of actuion for before I can plant vegatables.

I have bought Dy Hessayon' Vegetable and Herb Expert but feel that personal experience from people like yourselves would be most beneficial advice.

Do 1 or 3. Will be a good 12 months if you do number 3. Doing number 12 will just delay (and exacerbate) the problem. Good spray with round up helps no end.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports