Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Gully said:
Someone told me that the best way to keep carrot fly off your plants is to have a row of marigolds mixed in with them, have a tray of them coming on nicely in the greenhouse, ready to plant out when the carrots come through.

I've learn't something from Gully:clap2:
Normally it's me educating him:lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have some miniature bamboo that seems to be on it's way out. Any suggestions as to how to revive it? The leaves have gone brown and the colour of the shoots are much paler than they should be. :down:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Barrel of Fun said:
I have some miniature bamboo that seems to be on it's way out. Any suggestions as to how to revive it? The leaves have gone brown and the colour of the shoots are much paler than they should be. :down:

I have been trying to kill my bamboo off as it has taken over. lots of salt and weed killer is slowly killing it off:)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
How is the plot getting on Moggy. Shall I buy some spaghetti squash in a garden centre over here in Dansville bud? They have lots of veg I can grow here but may get some stuff to bring back. Have you had that courgette yet?:clap: :clap: :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sad day.

I went to the allotment between rain spells today and found that all of my Greyhound cabages had been stripped to l;eave just the main stem sticking up out of the ground. Is this likely to be birds that have done this as I have read that Pigeons are very partial to youg brassicas. Could I put a net curtain over the next lot that I plant.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
My beans have been destroyed in the 2 weeks whilst I was away as well as my chinese cabbage and lettuce. Bloody snails and slugs have destroyed them all. The allotment is looking pretty darn good though thanks to Moggy who has been working his nuts off down there recently.
I am unfortunately going to have to give the plot up and let Moggy carry on by himself as I am off in just over a month to start a new life in the USA so will start my own patch there whilst avoiding the bears and mountain lion that live in the woods behind my new home.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We're doing ok here - only lost 1 courgette to slugs so far...

Seem to have grown enough tomato's for the entire street though!! :lol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I now have three trays of marigolds in the greenhouse ready to plant out, only problem is the carrots haven't appeared yet, planted them at the beginning of April and am beginning to give up hope.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Have just been out and planted my second crop of lettuce leaves, rocket and radishes. Had some of the first crop with my tea, had forgotten how good stuff that is grown organically and freshly picked can taste, far better than the limp and lifeless stuff they sell in bags at the supermarket.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
After seeing DTG's thread I thought I would bounce this to see how everybody is getting on with their crop. I have not been down the allotment as I had to give it up but I am sure Moggy will be able to give you updates. At home my Broad beans are now about 4 inches long so just about ready for picking, My courgette and runners and tomato are growing nicely as is the rhubabr I have been growing from seed :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here