Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mouldy Boots said:
Yes, i have got shoots and berries forming.

Just been out to water them and they are holding there own so far i am going to dose them up with a high pot ash fertiliser.

Whats my chance of supplying robertson Jam?

:)

As long as you had cut them down to the stems last year then they should be fine. no harm in trying anyway :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
moggy said:
there are composters on west sussex council site that will compost most stuff.
one called green cone which apparently will take ALL food wastes including meat, bones and dairy products.
this particular bin says no green waste though.

you can buy the large compost bin with a free kitchen caddy including delivery for £9 if ordered online.
this is the normal bin for composting.

http://www.recyclenow.com/compost/

BARGAIN :clap2:

We've got a green cone - in principle its very good, although with our soil not being very good at draining it sometimes does go a bit slowly!!

We've also got a composter and a wormery - and it that doesn't cover everything our household produces then I'm a goat! ;) :lol:

No gardening for the last few days here - my cold turned into a nasty chest infection, with a very irritated lung, which means I can hardly move for pain and agony...

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
tedebear said:
We've got a green cone - in principle its very good, although with our soil not being very good at draining it sometimes does go a bit slowly!!

We've also got a composter and a wormery - and it that doesn't cover everything our household produces then I'm a goat! ;) :lol:

No gardening for the last few days here - my cold turned into a nasty chest infection, with a very irritated lung, which means I can hardly move for pain and agony...

take it easy then and a well deserved rest.
the hot weather will be back soon and you'll be able to relax in te comfort of your garden with maybe a nice glass of pimms - very summery

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
take it easy then and a well deserved rest.
the hot weather will be back soon and you'll be able to relax in te comfort of your garden with maybe a nice glass of pimms - very summery

PIMMS!!!! you poof:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Get well soon Tede :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
PIMMS!!!! you poof:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Get well soon Tede :)

pimms is lovely crammed with stuff you've grown from the garden. don't knock it till you've tried it.
weren't you about last year during one of the barbies when a bottle or 2 were downed?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
pimms is lovely crammed with stuff you've grown from the garden. don't knock it till you've tried it.
weren't you about last year during one of the barbies when a bottle or 2 were downed?

No:blush:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
All the fruit bushes are planted now after the arrival of my Jostaberry plant today :)
The only 2 not planted are 1 of the blueberry and a kiwi plant as they will stay in the greenhouse to see if it is a more effective way of a bumper crop :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry to sound such a berk but I really am a novice gardener.

Is there any secret to thinning out very thin spindly lettuce seedlings.

I scattered some seeds into a seed tray and absolutly loads have started sprouting up and I am not sure how to make them stronger and into plants to put out into the ground.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
Sorry to sound such a berk but I really am a novice gardener.

Is there any secret to thinning out very thin spindly lettuce seedlings.

I scattered some seeds into a seed tray and absolutly loads have started sprouting up and I am not sure how to make them stronger and into plants to put out into the ground.
do not worry about thimmimg them out until you sow your veg then you can just sow as many as you want. I have planted mine when quite small and would advise plantng closer than recomended becaus ethose pesky slugs will get at some of them and once they start to get bigger you can then pull out the small ones :)
Have you got any runners for the NSC runner bean comp? That goes to you as well HJ :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
What is that about?

Could have done with some 'runners' today

We are having a comp to see who can grow the biggest runner bean and the only rule is you have to have photographic evidence of it :) Just something to keep people interested in growing things :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Well finally a full day was managed yesterday!! Yippeee......I'm not entirely mended (thanks Moggy for your wishes) but I'm certainly better than I was.....chest pain seems a million times better than it was!! Its horrible not being able to garden!!

Soooooooo yesterday I planted out a few things from the greenhouse (french dwarfs, brussels sprouts) and planted my herb garden, can't beat cooking with loads of herbs!! Did lots of weeding, and Zef fixed a large patch of lawn, with new turf - looks super with the mended pond.

I think a few photos might be in order today.....

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
tedebear said:

I think a few photos might be in order today.....

Glad you are doing better Tede :) Get those pictures out young lady:clap2: :clap2:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Right - just been out to the garden under orders from BMF ;) and here are a few general snaps:

We have two ponds - smaller one hidden in the rocks for frogs. Our biggest vege patch is in this picture down the end. Sprouts, leeks, carrot, spinahc, beans, strawbs, raspb's etc are all in here:

300407%20002%20small.jpg

This is the other side with digester, composter, broad beans, pear tree, lilac tree, zucchini's etc. etc. This side is far more advanced than the other side...

300407%20003%20small.jpg

My new this year herb garden:

300407%20016%20small.jpg

and my helper :

300407%20009%20small.jpg

I'll get a few more details of veg's as I get out there today...

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
some great looking photos tedebear.
i notice you're using a green cone composter for meat and stuff like that.
would you recommend one?
i've only ever composted green waste in a conventional composter.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
moggy said:
some great looking photos tedebear.
i notice you're using a green cone composter for meat and stuff like that.
would you recommend one?
i've only ever composted green waste in a conventional composter.

Yep - we've got a green cone composter - its eats EVERYTHING :lol: however when it says on the instructions that you need a well draining, clay free soil site - they aren't wrong. In winter as its in the lowest part of the garden - if it gets too wet, the whole lot turns to stinky smelly mush. So you really need to have a very sunny, well draining spot for it to go in and it'll work a treat - when its working well - its better than the wormery!!

Eggs, bones, all sorts!!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Good work Tede. It will be interesting to see what the likes of BG's plots are like as well as all those growing runner beans of course:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here