Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Nasturtium leaves are definitely edible, as are pea shoots...plenty of ways to turn a mundane salad into something really special.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Trufflehound said:
Put broken egg shells around them. Slugs and snails hate that (too sharp).

I'd heard of that - I'll have to do it this year as Arthur likes the look of snail pellets, and I can't have him eating them!! - and besides I'm trying not to use anything toxic this year - being on my new organic drive... Although the green fly on the roses is quite literally weighing the bushes down - done the washing up liquid spray trick and it helped a bit but not much!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I trod on a snail yesterday that was sliming its way across my path, went back this afternoon and the ants had removed nearly all of it.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
so hows everyone planted out.
by seeds straight into the ground or germinated seeds in greenhouses and planted out?
if you've planted straight into the ground, how are your seedlings doing? becoming established yet?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
birdscare.jpg

It will look better now you have put down some Gravel :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
Is it too late to add lime to the soil as I have just read that Brassicas love a lime soil and I want to plant some greens stuff soon.

I would not worry about it as Sussex soil is fine of brasicas mate :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Our Blueberry plants arrived today so just the Jolstaberry to come now:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
tedebear said:
I'd heard of that - I'll have to do it this year as Arthur likes the look of snail pellets, and I can't have him eating them!! - and besides I'm trying not to use anything toxic this year - being on my new organic drive... Although the green fly on the roses is quite literally weighing the bushes down - done the washing up liquid spray trick and it helped a bit but not much!!

Put some good old beer in a saucer beside the plants. The slugs will die very happily

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Shegull said:
Put some good old beer in a saucer beside the plants. The slugs will die very happily

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
But what happens if Arthur likes the beer hehehe:lolol:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Then Arthur won't need a bed time story he will just conk out for the night.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Start them while they are young to get them used to it is what I say.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anybody know where I can get or buy a load of top soil as I have made raised beds on my allotment and need quite a bit and buying it by the bag at a garden centre will work out expensive.

The one on the A273 in Hassocks is 4 bags for £9.99

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
Anybody know where I can get or buy a load of top soil as I have made raised beds on my allotment and need quite a bit and buying it by the bag at a garden centre will work out expensive.

The one on the A273 in Hassocks is 4 bags for £9.99
I will get a business card for you tomorrow from the people we use. the top soil is £35 a tonne and the green compost (which is superb ) is £30 a tonne delivered.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
B.M.F said:
I will get a business card for you tomorrow from the people we use. the top soil is £35 a tonne and the green compost (which is superb ) is £30 a tonne delivered.

Many thanks your are a mind of information for a novice like me.

Could you PM the details many thanks.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
A person has just posted o the BBC gardening forum a question.

Can you use old net curtains to cover brassicas to stop caterpillars etc?

Yes you can and it keeps the birds off of the strawberries too ;)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sporting Surface Supplies of Horley will do you a good price on topsoil. Lovely people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here